“Not as expected!”

Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Kallithea
Hampshire
“Not as expected!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I came here with my mum for her 70th birthday. We have stayed in a lot of 5 star greek hotels and we were very disappointed with this one. It's a very large hotel with a lot of space that seems wasted. There are a lot of sunbeds available on the beach which is good. The rooms are spacious which is good. And it'd very clean. That's where my good seems to end though. When we arrived at about 9.30 ish last Friday evening our check in was not a pleasant experience and whilst others were being told various things about breakfast and how the hotel works the guy checking us in decided not to tell us any of these things and to be fair he was not the most welcome person . Breakfast is fine with a lot of choice. But dinner is not so well organized . We went down about 8pm most nights and had to queue for about 25 minutes to get a table, now I appreciate that in May it was a bit chilly outside so everyone wanted to sit inside but still there didn't seem to be enough tables. The food in the evening was ok but when we asked if the food that was outside was the same as inside and was told of course it's all the same we we slightly surprised to find it had totally different options. So make sure you check it all out before plating up. It seems very
Disorganized in the restaurants and you get given a menu but you don't get told if you can have this instead if the buffet or if it is extra, it definitely lacks communication with the guests. It would be nice in the room if it explains all this to you. The pool tiles that they give you we also had to find out ourself how these work . Just so you know you pay a 15 euro deposit at reception who then give you a card who you then give to the pool towel man, you get had deposit back when you hand the cards back at the end if the stay, but it is little
Things like this that you should be told. If you are looking for evening entertainment then choose again as most nights they have a pianist who Also sings, but after a while just gets boring. There is no other entertainment. If you want to go to old Rhodes town which is lovely a taxi called from the hotel is 18 euro if flagged down on the street is 15 euro. The buses are always so jammed packed that they don't always stop. Overall the service needs to be much better as you pay for 5 star you expect a decent service and disappointingly we felt we did not get that here. This is our 3rd time to Rhodes but sorry we round not stay at this hotel again. It has the ability to be a great hotel but a lot more effort needs to be made by them. If you are looking for a quite hotel and to make your own entertainment then maybe this is for you but it just wasn't for us.

Stayed May 2014
harmony_el, Customer Services at Elysium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for the time you devoted in providing extensive feedback with your stay with us.
The hotel has an ample space and this was our priority when designing it so that our guests feel relaxed and comfortable. Check in procedure includes a detailed briefing for the guests but there is always a Guest Relations Executive on duty to answer questions and provide assistance so that our guests enjoy their stay. Queuing in dinner is a rare exception and may happen – but not to the extent that you described – when the weather conditions are such that make guests preferring to stay more in the indoor part than to the outdoor. The Directory of Services, available in all rooms in six languages clearly describes the dining options, as well as all other procedures including the provision of beach towels. As far as entertainment is concerned, during May there was live music on a daily basis being either piano or saxophone.
We are really sorry that your stay with us was not up to your expectations.

Customer Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Elysium for two night after our wedding, and I stayed in a different room with my maid of honour the night before the wedding, and we had an absolutely brilliant time. As I stayed both in a 'normal' room and a deluxe suite, I had a great chance to compare the offering for each.

Both rooms were arranged and maintained beautifully, with fantastic sea views. The rooms were spacious, with large well-maintained bathrooms - the suite, in fact, had two of them! The staff also made it seamless for me to switch between rooms for my wedding night by arranging to transfer all our luggage from one room to the other, and were able to check me into my new room hours before it would normally be available as I had to leave to being wedding preparations.

Breakfast with each room offered a wide range of food, from eggs and omlettes to pastries, cereal and fruit. I enjoyed the breakfast with our suite room somewhat more, however, as we could take it in the top floor restaurant, which had table service (and flavoured coffee!) and meant that you weren't fighting to get to the buffet.

My husband and I only ate dinner at the resort once, in the main restaurant (as there hadn't been enough reservations for the gourmet restaurant to be opened). It was a mix of buffet and table service, with the mains being brought directly to the table and everything else being from a wide-ranging buffet. Our only complaint about the food is that we would have liked to see more gluten-free options - I'm a coeliac and can't eat any wheat product, which meant that my options for dessert were severely limited. It would also have been helpful for the food to carry some sort of allergy symbols on the cards, as sometimes it wasn't easy to tell what ingredients a dish contained.

My husband and I booked a massage the day after our wedding, which we simply can't recommend more - our masseurs were fantastic. The sauna and steam room facilities were also lovely, although at one point my husband did have to go into the sauna before me and ask another guest to please put his bathing trunks back on before I came in. With the resort's international clientele, it would likely be a good idea for staff to remind guests that they are required to wear their swimming costume at all times when they check in to the spa.

We were also lucky enough to get the last massage appointment available on the day - and I'd called to book at around 8am the previous day. We hadn't been told that we would need to book the massages until I checked in with my maid of honour, and as my husband and I were only staying two nights it would have been helpful to be able to book our massages before we checked in, to avoid not being able to have one.

Overall, the staff were helpful, friendly and hugely competent, and we were impressed by the resort - enough so that we will definitely be returning.

The reason for the four-star review, however, was the lack and difficulty of communication with the resort before our stay. We booked our rooms in January, and despite a query with our booking, several emails and two attempts at telephoning, we were never able to get answers to our queries - or even a generic response that our query had been received - until we arrived. And as I've previously mentioned, because the massages seem to get booked up quite quickly, if you're only staying for a few days it would be helpful to be able to book any treatments well in advance of your stay.

Room Tip: Any room with a sea view is going to be lovely!
2 Thank BrookelynB
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Hotel was five star as stated. Although entertainment was poor . Not much near by the hotel you will need to catch local bus or get a taxi into Rhodes Town. Beach as pebbles and not that good so make sure you spend a day on Lindos. You can catch a local bus outside hotel and it takes about 45 mins to get there cost €4.50 each way it as a good beach and the little town is lovely. But the hotel pool, the room and the food we could not fault them they were fab just got a bit bored at night due to lack of good entertainment.

Room Tip: If you have a mountain view it is at back of the hotel and you will be looking out onto the main roa...
3 Thank Lesley H
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Me and my husband spent our honeymoon at this amazing hotel. Everything was at the highest level- the service, the food, the view (we were at the 1st floor, in a sea-view room), the spa facilities...The location is excellent! It's right next to the beach, in front of the hotel there's a bus station, and it's 20 min. ride to the old city/city center.
Also, after I called the hotel a couple of days before our arrival, and told them that we're going to celebrate our honeymoon, they told me that they'll try and do something nice for us. When we arrived and entered our room, we saw that they have arranged it in the sweetest way! They put red roses in some vases and spread them in the room, and a bottle of wine with a plate of chocolates and strawberries was also waiting for us on the table.

Room Tip: the sea-view room is a must!
3 Thank Dina T
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed one night because of a nice proposal including massage, diner, room with sea view and breakfast...
We were quite disappointed with the infrastructure (unconvinient to find your way between different buildings, the smallest bath tube in my room I never saw, and the flooding after the shower because of misconception of the "shower curtains", windy corridors, situation next to the road). The view is good though as most windows are facing the sea.
We went to the Spa for the massage. A nice lady proposed to have an appointement 4 days after our arrival (and departure). So we never got the massages...
Food was Ok. The buffet is impressive in quantity and choice, but taste is quite average compared with Greek food you can enjoy at any "Taverna" of the island. Also, I hardly tolerate tasteless coffee in 5 stars hotel.
Finally the most surprising was No WIFI, exept at the main bar, where you cannot use internet phone because of the "live music".

1 Thank KevinBvink
harmony_el, Guest Relations Department at Elysium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, and the precious time you devoted in writing it. Although we are happy to hear that you took advantage of our Value-Added Welcome Pack offer, we are really sorry to hear that you did not find your stay as expected.

We investigated the issue you raised about the Spa. We found out that initially you were indeed offered an appointment for 4 days after your arrival day. When you informed our Spa staff that you are staying only for a day, two alternative appointment options within the day were offered. However you insisted to take the complimentary massage on the spot. As you can understand spa appointments are offered on a first came first served basis and therefore services cannot be offered on the spot.

As per the small bath tub, and comment about the infrastructure in general, we would like to inform you that our hotel not only complies, but surpasses the standards and specifications of five star hotels as set by the Greek National Tourism Organization. More than that, Elysium Resort & Spa during the last years, including 2014, is among TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence Winners. Not to mention that it has been included in TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice 2012 of Top 25 Luxury Hotels in Greece

We do appreciate your opinion, although it is significantly differentiated by that of the large majority of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you again, for a longer period if possible, so to be able to reassess the level of our services.

Guest Relations Department
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed one week at the Elysium and enjoyed our stay in this magnificent hotel- very kindly staff (thanks Ilias for your kindness and Michaelis "speedy Gonzales" for his quick service !) and excellent breakfast and dinner-we recommend the Gourmet restaurant Noble at the top floor who deserves a Michelin star, it was just delicious. Some problems with internet...and the availability of a table at dinner around 20:00 ...just solve these problems and this is the perfect 5 stars hotel .
We come back.
Family Vanhoutte (room 1140)

2 Thank Eddy V
Bromley Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed at the Elysium for 7 days with my parents. The hotel was very modern but still felt like it had character at the same time. Both the buffet and the a la carte food at the restaurant was excellent, it was great to have both choices for no extra cost, especially if you love to try different foods like myself! Everything about the hotel was perfect from the food to the stunning views of the sea that every room has, so there is no need to worry about getting the room with the dreadful car park view! I had the luxury of trying out the spa and the services there are great, however quite pricey - as you find in most hotels, but there are also great activities provided at the hotel such as yoga by the sea which was especially good. The pools were great also, the only criticism I would have of the hotel is that the beach had quite a lot of shale, but other than that I would go and stay there again in a heartbeat. Wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are sea view rooms so no matter where you are put you will have beautiful scenery to w...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank Anna B
John F, Manager at Elysium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to review our hotel. It is always a pleasure to read such positive comments from our guests. We are delighted to read that you liked our food, and our Spa. We are sure you do understand that our Spa prices are in line to those of corresponding spa products and services throughout Europe. As per the beach, we think that a more accurate description would be sandy and pebble rather than shale, as it can also be seen in the photographs contained in Beach section of our website’s Gallery.

Once again thank you for the feedback provided and very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in Elysium Resort & Spa.

Customer Services
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kallithea
Rodos Palladium
Sheraton Rhodes Resort
#14 of 127 in Rhodes Town
Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa
The Kresten Royal Villas & Spa

Been to Elysium Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!