“Nice Hotel, bad WIFI”

Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Kallithea
Oslo, Norway
“Nice Hotel, bad WIFI”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel from June 26- July 3. 2014. Good service, food and facilities. One of the reason we booked this hotel was that they offered internet in the whole area, but unfortunately we experienced otherwise. The WIFI was very, very, very slow or we did not get connection at all. We read in a review that the WIFI was upgraded since last year, as an answer to a complaint from a guest that have stayed at the hotel.... but we didn't notice that....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
harmony_el, Customer Services at Elysium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for the time you devoted in reviewing our hotel. We are really glad to hear that you liked the service, the food, and the facilities of our hotel.
In relation to the comment you made about the quality of our Wi-Fi we would like you to note that our hotel is a Green Key certified property as you can see in our website. As part of our environmental and energy preservation practices all rooms have environmentally friendly glass panels that act as heat blockers, therefore reducing energy waste but also increasing guests’ comfort. As a result, specific models of Internet enabled devices may experience low Wi-Fi signal inside the room when the balcony glass panels are closed. Opening the windows eliminates this issue. At the same time, to further enhance our guests’ Internet connection experience and to cope with the further increasing demand, we have already ordered from our telecommunication providers an increase in our Internet connection bandwidth which will soon be installed to increase speed and reliability.
Once again thank you for your comments.

Customer Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Athens
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Wonderful staff - friendly, professional, efficient. From check in to check out, entire stay was positive. Kudos to the hard-working staff. The breakfast is amazing. So many items - too many to mention. The breakfast staff was a pleasure to see each morning, our waiter (Michalis, I think) always remembered our coffee order, the hostess Dimitra was a delight.

We booked directly from the hotel's website, and our deal came with some extras like a complimentary buffet dinner, - which was excellent. Huge variety, high quality, delicious.. And a complimentary head & shoulder massage in the spa - it was sooo great - (thank you Stamatina). I wish I had more time to book another appointment.

We had a room in the Helios bldg, on the 3rd floor. We were upgraded from a deluxe seaview to a superior deluxe seaview (due to a promotional thing they had on their website that particular day - lucky us!). It was great. I liked being in Helios as opposed to main bldg. The 'noise' from next door hotel or even from the Elysium's nightly entertainment down at the beach bar was not bothersome in terms of keeping me up. With the balcony doors closed and the AC on, you couldn't hear it at all anyway. The room was thoroughly cleaned each day (including the balcony), nice new soft fluffy towels each day - I'm always particular about cleaning and they were top-notch.

My only concern actually was the pillows! They were too firm and the extra pillows in the closet were the same. I've been to other 5 star hotels that have 'pillow menus' where you choose what kind of pillow you prefer - this would have been perfect, and more fitting to 5-star standards. And one other minor thing was the bathroom soap/shampoo - I expected a much better brand than Papoutsanis... something like Korres or Apivita would've been much better.... And of course, I have to agree with all the comments about wifi... Free wifi signal is at reception area, and somewhat around the pool... Free wifi all around the hotel, rooms included is a must... I know, we're on vacation and should unplug but in reality wifi has become a necessity, esp at a 5-star hotel.

The pool bar and beach bar had decent variety of snacks/salads/burgers, (very tasty!) and again, wonderful staff. We found the mini market near the hotel lobby convenient as well.

Overall, a great experience - I would love to return to the Elysium again someday soon! Congrats to the staff - it is their hard work that makes this place what it is.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cafegirl17121
Gainesville, Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at the Elysium for our honeymoon in Rhodes and couldn't have been happier. The location of the hotel was fantastic; in a very nice area of Rhodes yet a short bus ride into the heart of town. The buses run every 20 minutes from literally right outside the hotel and this enabled us to get around the island and see all of the attractions we wanted to without the need for a rental car or taxi.

The hotel itself was clean and well maintained. The grounds were beyond lovely with the largest (and nicest) pool of any hotel I've ever stayed at. The breakfast buffet was quite large and of good quality. The dinner buffet was equally large, but less satisfying, in our opinion. Except for our first night there, we opted to dine in town for our evening meals.

Staff was friendly. Wait times at the desk seemed unusually long. On several occassions, we were the only people at the reception counter and yet no one would address us for a minute or two. Checkout took over 20 minutes as several guests arrived simultaneously and the reception staff would help people who randomly walked up to the counter over guests who had been standing in line previously. It was very strange and if we had been in a hurry, it may have been unnecessarily stressful. Fortunately we had time to kill and it was just mildly frustrating. I would suggest the reception desk be staffed with more employees as check-out time approaches and that they address guests in the order in which they arrive rather than working with whoever pushes their way to the front (which happened with several guests, not just one, suggesting a pattern).

As is to be expected, prices at the resort were quite high for sundries, food and drink. If budget is a concern, I would recommend you try to head in town as much as possible as prices were significantly lower in town than at the hotel across nearly every spectrum. Be forewarned that, despite the convenience of the bus, the hotel's location is in a fairly remote resort area and there is nothing really in comfortable walking distance (at least, not in the 100+ degree heat we experienced in Rhodes) for meals or sundries. Whatever you need will need to be purchased either at the hotel or in town.

Overall, we found this hotel to be excellent with only minor issues that did not, in any event, negatively impact our stay here. We are quite happy with our stay and would happily return if we ever made it back to Rhodes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VAchicklet
harmony_el, Customer Services at Elysium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the minor issues you encountered which as you said "did not, in any event, negatively impact" your stay. Please rest assured that we will incorporate your feedback into our next service quality improvement meeting. It is really rewarding for our efforts to receive such excellent feedback. Looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel in the near future.

London
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

A little late writing this review but it's better late then never! Myself and my partner stayed at the Elysium resort and spa for a week from the 20th of May.

What we both liked about the Elysium - BEAUTIFUL hotel, friendly staff, welcomed with champagne, the room was beautiful and had an amazing sea view! Very clean, the emerald restaurant was great, you could have a buffet or order from the menu and the food was beautiful! The breakfast was fantastic! The best breakfast I've ever had from any resort, they had everything!!!!! The beach was clean and never over packed. Plenty of sun loungers and good drinks. The weather was in it's 30s. We hired out one of the big beds on the beach for the day which was fantastic, you get fruit and a cocktail and free bottled water all day.

What we didn't like - drinks took around 25-30 minutes to arrive. Entertainment in the bar was minimal and pretty boring which left the bar always empty. We payed extra for the hydro tub in our room which was broken and took 4 days to fix after asking twice. The maids left the hotel door open twice! Luckily nothing was stolen. The staffing levels were very fragmented which left us waiting to be served for meals quite a while. Terrible WIFI which doesn't work in rooms only in the lounge. The slippers were made out of cardboard which broke as soon as I put my foot in and the maids did not replace the towels or robes. The beach is sandy by the beds but pebbles by the water which was pretty painful to walk on so wear beach shoes.

For beach days we spent the day at Lindos which was €3 for a bus and Lindos was beautiful or Tsambika which was €5 (only one bus there and back all day) Tsambika was breathtaking! We went there 2 days running. We did paragliding which was about €60 for 2 and they had a few cafés there also. Beds were €8 for 2 all day. Faliraki beach was pretty dirty.

We would recommend the Elysium to anybody! It's definitely more of a couples resort. Regardless of the negatives which were minor we would definitely go back we had an amazing time!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DavidTolley
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife picked this place for our holiday while in Rhodes. Hotel has great location and facilities. Breakfast is absolutely amazing so is the beach bar with live entertainment every evening. The lobby bar is also great place where the very friendly bar tender prepared "bounty martini" for my wife which she loved. The only negative is the very stony beach. Never less great choice and deeply recommended

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and for recommending our hotel. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is really rewarding for our efforts to receive such excellent feedback. Looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel in the near future.

Regina, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We just finished our first trip to Rhodes and stayed at Elysium, which I had booked via Expedia with no issues.

Location:
We found the location to be good, enabling us to get around easily. There is a bus stop in front of the hotel, but we prefered to rent a car from the Sun Rent a Car company located at the hotel. We rented a Hyandai I10 for a decent price and highly recomend that anybody on this island rent a car, so you can go where you want to go.

This hotel is located about 15-20 minutes via taxi from the airport, which cost us about 28€. It is also 1 km from the water park and amusement park and a 10 minute drive from the city of Rhodes itself. It is about 5 km from Faliraki, which is worth visiting in the evening. The trip to Lindos from here took us about 30-40 minutes. We went to 7 Pigeas (Seven Springs) and the Butterfly Valley easily from here as well.

Hotel rooms:
We had ordered the deluxe rooms off of expedia but to our surprise, our room got bumped up to a suite (for free of course). The room was large, modern, well maintained, clean and had a great view of the pool, restaurant and sea. I was very happy with the room.

Food:
We only ate the inclusive morning breakfast which was excellent and had a wide selection of food. I also noticed on my last day that do not allow the stock to run down, even near closing time, and they went over the time of 10AM by quite a bit. We were going to try out the evening meal, but we preferred to go out and eat in the Rhodes old town. In the morning, try and go before 9:15, as it gets pretty busy after 9:30.

Staff:
The staff was very professional and friendly and have done a good job as far as I saw, and should be proud. Hopefully they are all well compensated and treated well in return. The cleaning ladies all were really nice, the restaurant staff was friendly and helpful and the people at the front desk were great. My fiancé got sick from the water park and couldn't make it down to eat on my last day, but one of the staff down at the restaurant (Dimitra) was awesome and had food sent up to the room for me, plus checked into getting us a doctor if we needed it. She was very helpful and friendly! Thanks Dimitra! (From The Canadian greek guy).

While I speak greek, the staff all seemed to know english fairly well. When I left, they had no problem calling a taxi for us or letting us stay in the lobby for hours if we wanted too (we didn't) and they never tried to push false charges on us or anything like that. The Sun Rent a Car guy was also courteus, and didn't try and harass us with some trumped up "extra service charges" or anything either, as I have experienced with other rental car companies in the past. Overall, I was very happy with the service.

Supermarket:
There is a small supermarket on site. The prices were not bad especially for a hotel, and they had a good stock of useful items. The two ladies working the counter were very nice and helpful as well. As I said earlier, there is a small strip mall near the Water Park with some shops, including a Pharmacy, and there are several large SuperMarkets on the way to Rhodos if you need.

Internet:
I never got onto the Internet here because I assumed it cost money and I never asked, something I regret doing because it looks like it was free...Next time.

Pool/Beach:
We never swam in the pool, but there were always people swimming and around it until about 7pm or so, and it looked nice. They had a guy who spent about 2 hours each morning cleaning it, so it is maintained, plus there is a life guard on duty. I expect you probably need to get out here by 11am to get a chair though. Instead, we preferred to go to the beach. The beach is awesome, with very clean water and sand. The hotel keeps the beach chairs clean as well and the chairs are free to use. I swim a lot in the hidden beaches around Argos Greece, and this was cleaner. I didn't have my diving mask with me, but it looked like if you did, you might find it interesting to snorkl here too.

Tips:
I really recommend getting a car if you are in Rhodes, it will make your life easier as you can go check out the sites on your own. This hotel gives you easy access to a lot of stuff, so just plan your days ahead. There is a bus stop outside the hotel though if you need it.

Complaints:
-My only real, but minor complaint is that the glasses for their freshly squeezed orange juice needed to be cleaned a little better.

Overall:
The best compliment I can give is this:
My parents are coming to Rhodes next year and this is the hotel I will book for them. If my fiance and I return in a year or two, I will stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank L D
harmony_el, Customer Services at Elysium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you liked the service provided by our staff. Please rest assured that we will pass to everyone your nice comments. Thank you also for recommending our hotel to your parents. It is really rewarding for our efforts to receive such excellent feedback. Looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel in the near future.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My girlfriend and our 11-month old son and I just returned from a 7 night stay at the Elysium Resort & Spa. We cannot rate it highly enough. We did pay for an Elite Club Suite -- as far as I can tell it was the one on their website that looks directly out over the sea. It was a great room. The hotel is modern and it is right on the beach. All the facilities are in good working order apart from the Wifi reception is spotty, but which was frankly not a problem once we got used to it. The hotel was close to full towards the end of our stay but there was plenty of room for everyone (we didn't even need to put towels down by the pool before breakfast!).

The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful -- the only sour face I saw all week was the big fish in the goldfish bowl by reception. I'd particularly like to thank Marilesa and Nadia for looking after us at breakfast every morning and most evenings for dinner. The cleaners always came early to our room when we asked them to, on account of our wanting to get it tidied up before baby had his mid-morning sleep.

Also well worth a visit is the Noble Restaurant on the top floor. You do have to pay a bit extra but it is well worth the money and the standard of food there is fantastic.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kallithea
Rodos Palladium
Sheraton Rhodes Resort
#14 of 127 in Rhodes Town
Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa
The Kresten Royal Villas & Spa

Been to Elysium Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!