“Great Hotel to calm down!”

Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Kallithea
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We are a couple (+40) and we came to calm down 4 days.
The Hotel is great, very nice design, very clean, very calm, the people are so nice, dedicated to help you. The view on the see is great. The pool is big enough to not feel overloaded, the sea is calm.
The local bus makes 10 min to Faliraki, 30 min to center of Rhodes and 60 min. to Lindos, and it cost just some Euros.
The only part they should take care is relating to food. The choice is large, but most of it tast like very "commerciale". It looks like gourmet, but the tast is not there...
The hotel suits more for couple than famillies. There is no "kids" activities or "kids" food. The pool and the sea are ok for them but will not be an attraction.
Wi-fi in Public areas, Possibility of cable in room.
The SPA is very luxury, but entry is 20 Euros and treatment are +100 Euros...
Anyway, we just enjoyed our stay there and we strongly recommand this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to et a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
harmony_el, Customer Services at Elysium Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. It is rewarding for us to know that our guests enjoyed their stay and “strongly recommend” our hotel. Please allow us to correct your statement about the Spa: There is no entry fee. The €20 mentioned in your review is the price for the Heat Experiences package. This includes Hammam, Sauna, Caldarium, and use of the Vitality Pool. Moreover, in case any Spa guest would like to have any of the spa treatment, then the Heat Experiences Package is offered with our compliments. Finally, there are a number of treatments well below €100. For indicative purposes only, the dry flotation therapy is at €40, and the body cleanse and exfoliation is at €50. As per your comment about the food, we are sure that you will accept that taste is a purely subjective opinion, however we need to stress that the large majority of our guests do welcome the taste as can be seen from their reviews in TripAdvisor and other similar websites. Once again thank you for your review. We look forward in welcoming you again in Elysium Resort & Spa.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Elysium is a great resort. Beautiful pool, grounds, & the hotel itself is gorgeous. Someone spared no expense to make it look fantastic. The food is very good and the waiters are very helpful and friendly. Check in was incredibly smooth and there was lots of restaurants to choose from (6).
We used the spa (incredible) and the health club, our whole family really enjoyed all the facilities.
The beach is typical of Rhodes and much of Greece being that it's really rocky, but it's a beautiful spot.
The Hotel is only ten minutes from town, on a great stretch of resorts, we recommend this place very highly.

Room Tip: Anything facing the pool & beach.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
harmony_el, Customer Services at Elysium Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is really rewarding for our efforts to receive such excellent feedback. Looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just came back from a 4 days vacation at Elysium. It was magnificent! The food, the service, the room, the beach.. Everything was just perfect. The hotel is located at kallithea a small touristic area, just 25 min from rodhos city (on a bus) there is a bus stop right outside of the hotel. The bellboy ioannis was very helpful and present, there is a variety of food.
I will be back it was a pleasure!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Avital B

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you liked the service provided by our staff. Please rest assured that we will pass on your nice comments. It is really rewarding for our efforts to receive such excellent feedback. Looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Thank you Elysium for a great week in Rhodes. The location is quiet, scenic and perfect for the beach but remote from other shops or cafés. The hotel is newly built, classy, modern and minimal in design. Unlike neighbouring hotels, no single nationality dominated and the guests mixed well from a wide range of countries. We stayed in the middle block, Helios, ideal for the pool and tennis. The restaurant service at breakfast and dinner could not be faulted with a special mention for hostess Dimitra and waiter Tasos and Yannis, the fantastic cocktail chef. The spa and treatments are superb with thanks to Stamatia, Anna, Yvonne and Irina who also led the aqua aerobics. We will go back and would only hope that the Wifi can be strengthened and table tennis table installed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you liked the service provided by our staff. Please rest assured that we will pass to everyone your nice comments. It is really rewarding for our efforts to know that you had a "great week in Rhodes". Looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

With all due respect to my fellow reviewers, but what on earth…? Are we really reviewing the same hotel? Elysium? Rhodes? Greece? Planet Earth?

I am scoring this hotel way down on Tripadvisor as its average score is way too high. Its not a true reflection of the hotel at all, and my scoring, whilst too unfair, is meant to redress the fanatical dewy-eyed holiday memories through ouzo-tinted hangovers. Hence why I have been provoked into commencing this review over the period of my stay in between hanging around on my other half and her affair with the….ahem, bathroom.

I am returning to Tripadvisor after a long stay away from it; new username required etc as its been such a long time. However, following the stimulus of this review will see me retrospectively adding reviews of my hotel stays in 2014.

I.E…. this hotel has reawakened my dissatisfaction towards apathy.

Let me explain….and this review is more of a little diary.

Before booking the hotel, I did much reading of the reviews and compared it to other offerings on the island. It was a toss up between this and its next door neighbor – which I won't name as I don't wish to fall foul of the Tripadvisor rules.

I eventually choose this hotel as it more or less offered the potential for fewer children on site.
On arrival at 4am, check-in was swift and pleasant. The reception area lacked ambience, but I put that down to 4am and everyone else in bed.

The reception was clean, light and airy (even in the dark), and we were soon on our way to our room….via the external to the building. I assumed that we were being taken to an exclusive part of the building – to our “superior” room.

Wrong.

Think Britain 1980’s, working class family holidays in a Butlins or Pontins holiday camp. Or inner city apartment block, or maybe even prison if you have ever had the pleasure.

We were taken into a lifeless and soulless block along a corridor lined with battleship grey doors, dull wall coatings and cheap ceramic tiles. My only hope was that what lay behind the grey door was in complete contrast to the grey mile corridor.

I’m afraid not.

A plain, cheap “twin” room with furniture that could have come from a large out of town furniture store that specializes in flat pack furniture..

Personally, I like white walls and dark wood furniture. I like the cleanliness and simplicity. But in this room, it just looks cheap. You could easily punch a hole (which you might if you haven’t picked your holiday in a last minute hastily written offer in a travel agents window) through the furniture and doors.

It really is poor for a supposed 5 star hotel.

I did immediately register my disappointment with the reception come concierge guy, but he seemed challenged that I even considered voicing this. I asked – and offered to pay – for an upgrade without even thinking about it, but was told that wasn’t an option (fair enough, it is peak season).

Nevertheless, he proceeded to show me what I got for my extra £500 for the “superior” room. A kidney shaped Jacuzzi that is unfathomable as to what species of animal might even fit in there!? Fish perhaps? And a window that goes opaque at the touch of a button.

He gave some instructions on how to use the Jacuzzi and the periods of time (yes, I think I heard “periods of time”) it was operational between. But I never really paid attention, as I was incredulous. So, I just bid the guy good night, and looked on in despair at the twin bed arrangement.

I am sorry fellow reviewers, but you really are not well travelled if you consider this a 5 star hotel. It’s a 4 star at its maximum. Go and try the Four Seasons the Peninsulas and the Shangri-La’s of the world and then compare this “5 star” hotel.

Now do not get me wrong, it is clean, but so is a Travelodge.

If you think I am being overly critical, then I was woken by our neighbor early one morning in cell 2205 shouting down the phone….”call yourself a five star hotel? What am I paying for….?” Etc etc, or words to that effect. I think it may have been something to do with his breakfast; or perhaps his bed came apart and he fell on the floor?

There is very limited place to store your clothes for a 2-week stay – and we both brought around 30kg in our luggage, which included about 28kg of cosmetics! (I exaggerate to make a point).
There are two tiny drawers and some shelves, so you primarily need to ‘stack’ your clothes and hang up whatever else you can on the dozen or so hangers.

No matter.

One broken sleep later, trying to avoid (maybe) the same fate as my neighbor of falling onto the floor, I showered in the “Jacuzzi” and flooded the bathroom. The reason for the “flood” is quite simple. The short glass shower screen only covers a short portion of the kidney shaped Jacuzzi. Its evident from the empty rail on the cut out in the ceiling, that in place there used to be a shower curtain, but shower curtains are so 3 star, so its no wonder they have been displaced by the rather contemporary glass screen.

You’ve probably already guessed - why the Jacuzzi is kidney shaped? But give it another paragraph or two.

Call me old fashioned, but a sodden wet bathroom floor has never really been in fashion, and – I guess - in order to have convinced someone somewhere to “up” the star rating of this hotel, it was felt that the shower curtain must go!

Long live the shower curtain - if you are a 3 star hotel.

So you then need to use your woefully thin and cheap towel to mop up the worst of the flood once you have used it to dry yourself. Its an impossible task in reality as the same square meterage of toilet paper has more absorbent qualities, and the towel will near enough need wrung out after you have used it upon your person never mind tackling 10 litres of excess water on a floor.
Bring flip-flops.

More on the bathroom just shortly, but back to the Jacuzzi.

So why is the Jacuzzi kidney shaped? Yes, of course; the bathroom is tiny. And I mean tiny. They should just abandon the Jacuzzi and let the water spill directly onto the floor – as that’s where 50% of is going anyway – and make it a “wet room”. However, I suspect there isn’t even enough room for that. The bathroom is just shockingly small and ill equipped. The toiletries are dreadful, in small quantities and just not pleasant smelling nor do you get any lather with them – if you really insist in roughing it 5 star style, then bring you own toiletries. The hairdryer is local public swimming pool changing room style, just minus the slot for the coins. I struggle to convey how poor the bathroom is – if you and your partner are not intimate enough that both of you like to be in the bathroom together, then this is the bathroom for you. It really is a 1 person at a time job.

And lets not forget the other “feature” of the “superior room”: the smart opaque glass.

Lets just say…I am sure the “opaque glass salesman” had better never return to Rhodes, as the hotel purchaser will be looking for a refund. This is one gimmick they should have ignored. Its worthless and I see no value in it whatsoever.

By now you probably think I'm just complaining for the sake of complaining, but I am sorry, I will not have my intelligence insulted. If you do not take your hard earned money for granted, then please read on. Otherwise, then I wish you well and good luck.

Moving on…

Like a cup of tea or coffee in your room from time to time? We do.

In the evening we like a little cup of green or jasmine tea before bed, so I though we could overcome the lack of this facility in the room by simply requesting it.

Not in this hotel you don’t. Maybe a kettle and some tea, coffee and those little sachets of UHT milk are too 4 star for Elysium. On the other hand I suspect its just simple cost cutting – besides where would they sit a kettle? Or maybe they don’t trust that their guests have actually managed to (I assume) keep a job for the best part of a year in order to have saved for their holiday, and then made a conscious choice using their own brain to book the thing! No, it’s obvious: we don’t know how to work a kettle. Maybe we would place body parts into it?

In fact, there is a twist here… it turns out after requesting a kettle, a couple of cups and some tea that tea and coffee facilities are only for “elite” guests that are staying in the main body of the hotel, in the “elite” rooms.

Maybe you like creased clothes? Do you prefer not to take the iron and ironing board and give them press? Good, you’ve come to the right place then, because your 5 star hotel doesn’t have these, and nor will you be getting them from Housekeeping either, as they do not keep them. Instead, you are given the option of placing your (clean – I assume) clothes into a laundry bag, where the hotel will happily iron them for you!

And it’s a bargain, let me tell you! With items generally averaging 4 Euros each.

I find this staggering.

We all know the jokes about the Corby Trouser Press, well, I’d welcome the connotations of a Corby in lieu of a bill into 100’s to iron clothes that are clean and already ironed, but just a little travel creased.

Ok, so at least I will fit in amongst the other creased guests.

So I have concluded: How dare, a simple minion like me that paid £4,500 for 2 weeks half board in this hotel even think that I could brush creased shoulders and sample the finest bagged tea in the (relative) comfort of my room?

After all, I am a simpleton with a Krypton Factor of 1. I cannot have an iron in case I burn cellblock Y down, or maybe scald myself with boiling water. Though I think my Krypton Factor score should take into consideration the water hazard I attend to in the Jacuzziroom after every shower.

Gordon Burns might agree.

If you have heard yourself saying or thinking….”but its only a bedroom, its only somewhere to wash and sleep for a couple of weeks”, then save yourself some money, press ‘back’ on your browser window and select 2 or 3 star hotels in Rhodes - of which there are many.

If like me, you go on holiday to relax, take your time and recharge your batteries in comfort, then breakfast should be a sedentary affair. Having breakfast finish at 10am is way too early. It should be 11am – I don’t care what time it starts.

So on our first morning we meandered to breakfast around 9-45am and were met with carnage.
I introduced myself by way of cell number to the concierge and she politely said, “Thanks, please help yourself”.

This means…find your own table amongst the riot in the breakfast wing. So we wandered off in search for a table for 2 and could only find ones that had recently been discarded. We asked a panicked waiter if there were any tables, and his response was along the lines of please find one and sit down.

Well, to pot with that, so I went back and asked the on-duty officer if she could help us find a table, or have one prepared for us. The response went like this: “I am sorry, you see, all people come at once and leave at once and there are no tables ready for you”.

Really? Just like that?

There are no tables ready for me? A paying guest? Not a “please let me assist in having a table prepared for you, where would you prefer to sit?”

Crikey.

Now I could have just imagined those “elite guests” sitting in their “elite” restaurant on the top floor sipping champagne and chomping caviar (nonsense, I know), whilst us economy class inmates rioted on the ground floor over the last piece of watermelon.

Instead “I” found a table and waited on someone clearing and preparing a table in a rushed over-worked fashion as though I was troubling them. I could see the poor guy was rushed off his feet: this is 3 stardom at its best. Volume, volume, volume and panic and rushing.

And that wasn’t just first day disorientation. No. Some days were better then others. Not only that, there is a lottery within a lottery. First lottery – inside or outside? You choose inside? Lets go. Staff canteen. Butlins bedlam. Call it what you will. Outside? Lottery number 2. Where you end up sitting. Why? Because the quality of the waiting staff varies hugely. There are 3 or 4 staff that are excellent, efficient and have good humour about them. The rest are reasonable and some just slow, forgetful and in one case – plain rude to me after I asked him for an update on where our coffee and hot water was after waiting 20 minutes (meanwhile, the table next to us, who arrived after us, got theirs in minutes – before us).

Staff Tip number 1: try not to lie. When you said to me “you told me you didn’t want anything”, in fact, you hadn’t even spoke to me. I had to attract your attention and ask for it to begin with.

Now these guys are getting circa 1,300 Euro per month. The season last maybe 7 months at best. Thats less than 10k Euro per season, and Greece doesn't have alternatives for these guys, so in between seasons, they are not working. So although I may appear to be critical of them, please cut them a bit of slack.

Traveller Tip number 1: go for breakfast before 9am. There is a rush in the 30 minutes prior to the restaurant promptly beginning to withdraw foods at 10am and in that time its pandemonium.

The food at breakfast is ok. Ultimately, you get fed up with it after about 6 or 7 days, and the hot breakfast options are limited. The coffee is normally lukewarm, and the hot water for tea can take up to 20 minutes to arrive, if it even does – I kid you not. And when and if it does arrive…its also lukewarm. So make sure you ask for boiling water and not water tepid enough to wash a sunburnt body.

In terms of entertainment, there is quite a large pool, and what appears to be plenty of beds. The 15Euro deposit thing for a towel for (I can only assume exclusively) economy inmates continues to smack of lack of trust – in the same way your intelligence is insulted with them not trusting you not to start a fire with an iron, scald yourself with boiling water and find your own table. What is this…? An 18-30 Ibiza stupid-a-thon?

Wicked.

Then there is the beach. Despite the volume of people in the hotel, you can find room on the beach. The beach itself isn’t white sands, but a brown/grey sand with lots of large pebbles. But it is clean.
The sea is lovely, and I would recommend the sea over the pool.

With our half board stay, we had the pleasure of revisiting the Breakfast wing, which doubles, or trebles up as the Lunch wing and Dinner wing, for dinner.

Much like breakfast….its ok. Reasonable choice, ok quality, ok service (not a reflection of the individual staff themselves).

Tea and coffee not included though which is just blatant opportunism.

You can swap dinner for lunch if you give them 24 hours notice. But we tested this and they swapped there and then, so it seems this is one 3 stardom they are able to relinquish. Lunch is a poor substitute for the dinner and lacks choice.

Traveller Tip number 2: do not swap lunch and dinner – not unless you are leaving the hotel for dinner that evening. The lunch isn’t really worth it.

All in all, the buffet food thing is ok from time to time, but a proper restaurant is required by me to reground myself back into civility, away from works canteen mode. Similarly for dinner, it could be a bit chaotic. Some people just have no manners, but this is hardly the hotels fault and a chance you take if you holiday in hotels.

On the one occasion when we ordered from the menu for dinner instead of going for the buffet, we never received a main course. They just forgot about it – same guy that argued with me about the coffee and hot water. This was the same evening where the buffet (a Sunday evening as well!) had burgers and pizza as its central offering. Hmmm. Not good at all.

So, you can lord it up in the Noble restaurant which you can convert 15 Euro of your dinner allowance.

Let me get this straight…. You can eat as much as you like at the dinner buffet. Yet it only contributes 15 Euro to a proper dinner? Question is….in which restaurant are you being ripped off? Either its slops they are serving in the Dinner wing – Emerald restaurant – or the food is way too salubrious for common inmates?

Café Senses. It exists, and is meant to be open from 8pm to midnight, but in fact isn’t open at all. It’s only in use for the “elite” breakfast, and then it is closed.

This is madness, and I assume staffing has something to do with it.

We looked longingly through the glass doors, and it looks quite attractive. Such a shame, as it would have been good to have sat and chill out in the evening as an alternative to the Beach Bar and its cabaret, or the seating area in the foyer. The foyer is nice enough and there is a bar there with a girl on the piano, but it also feels like you are sitting in the foyer.

Tip Number 3: definitely convert your 15 Euro and go to the Noble restaurant. The restaurant can offer very nice views out to sea, but the number of tables that can sample this view is limited, so when booking, emphasise, double emphasise and then emphasise some more that you want a table next to the glass partitions. Then be prepared for what may turn out to be a bit of a stiff breeze from time to time. The service is pretty good, and at one point there are 3 manager/supervisor type people on, so it should promote attention – however not having ever been approached by any supervision to give feedback, I suspect they are more focused on checking the direction of the staff from them from time to time. The food in Noble is spot on - very good indeed – and the quality of materials used is - dare I say….5 star. Space is limited mind; so don’t leave your booking too late. But if you have small children, don’t take them there. There is nowhere for them to run around and they will annoy another people and (if you care that is) stress you out.

The hotel dress code?

States that elegant casual, men are ‘welcomed’ to wear long trousers, no flip-flops or slippers, beachwear etc…or you will be refused entry. Tough stuff then.

Predictably though, its not enforced at all. I personally prefer to ensure I maintain a dress code as it adds to the ambience. But after about 5 days of doing this for breakfast I gave up and wore my swimming shorts and flip-flops. To be fair, there seems to be more of an effort made by people at dinner time, but still lots of shorts, vests, flip-flops, shorts and trainers on show. I suspect their elegant casual wear is too creased to wear.

Traveller Tip number 4: thoroughly iron your clothes pack them carefully before travelling.

The staff.

Mixed bag. As before, the table staff are mostly pleasant and friendly. They engage as much as you are willing to engage with them and they always have a smile. They seem to try their best to please regardless of how crowded the restaurant is, but sometimes they are a bit stretched. And other times you can see 2 or 3 of them hanging around chatting.

The girls that meet you when you enter the restaurant are on the whole friendly. However, I couldn’t get to grips with how or why some people get escorted to a table by them instead of the “thank you, please take a seat” we always got - but I sussed it on my second to last day! Speak Greek! And I don't just mean, hello, or good morning. You need to be Greek.

On one occasion we went in search of a table and one of the waitresses sat us at a suitable table. We then disappeared for 10 minutes to peruse the buffet and when we came back another couple had taken residence at ‘our’ table, with our possessions moved to a table elsewhere. I assume they never moved the stuff and it was the staff that made a mess of the table situation by sitting us at a table that was already spoken for – or vice versa. Whatever. However, the reaction of the lady at the table was a bit 1 star – if you are reading this…you live up to your over the hill biker chick stereotype well, and you only embarrassed yourself with your attempts at swearing at us in English - yes, of course I heard you, but consider this….so did everyone else as your English was pretty good!

Never take an idiot with you, you will always find one when you get there.

Essentially these meet and greet girls are not supervisors. They are just collecting numbers – and some occasions from us, not even that.

We were dumbfounded (not an easy task - and given our previous engagement with a robust couple) on evening when we asked if a certain table was available, to be told….”there is someone sitting there, but please sit there if you want to.” Not a word of a lie.

Housekeeping girls deserve some credit. They tied the two single beds together for us.

They also walked in on us a couple of times with no bell, no chap, no “hello”, just wandered in, so much use of “WAIT PLEASE!!”…..I’ll spare you the details.

But aside from this, they kept the room clean and did a good job.

However, after a morning at the beach, we come out of the hot early afternoon sun to get showered and freshened up, and sometimes even at 3pm still no sign of housekeeping. I know they can’t attend to every room at 10-30am, so more of an observation.

On one occasion, we returned at 2pm to find that the room hadn’t been made. We needed fresh towels – as we have to use all the towelage we can get to mop up the floor remember, plus the Jacuzzi leaks, so water leaks from under it for a couple of hours after a shower – so I called to reception and asked for fresh towels. 1 hour later they arrived. During the hour, a call to reception after 40 minutes, and I was told “we have been very busy with check outs, they [towels] will be with you soon.”

The staff at reception tend to be quite curt. When I spoke to the supervisor on our first day, she cut across me and spoke over me several times. I could have stood my ground, but when a hotel doesn’t entrust you with stih some basic things, then I fear it would have been a lost cause. Despite this, and her assurances that “indeed, the hotel does welcome feedback on how they can improve”, we are still waiting for our promised “on Friday” [this was on Wednesday] room swap to a room with a queen bed and not two single beds….

Further interactions never altered my perception of them and everything appeared too much trouble.

I enquired about a slightly later check out [3pm] and was told it was 50Euros. I then – seeking some goodwill – offered that on many days the room was not made up until after 3pm. I also reminded them about my ‘twin’ room and the outstanding swap I was promised. Their response – for a 5 star hotel – took me aback. I was told that it was my fault that the room wasn’t made up until after 3pm, as I “never requested it” and all I had to do in the morning was “phone reception and advise a time for housekeeping.” Ok, that sounds plausible, strange, but plausible. However this retort misses my point: regardless of when I want the room made up, the fact remains that the room wasn’t made up until after 3pm some days. They either never grasped this point, or they choose to ignore it. The next point was the outstanding room swap. They insisted I got the room I asked for. This, technically, is true. And again, they said it was my fault that I never received the room swap, as I “didn’t pursue it.”

And talking over you is the practice here.

Wow. Just wow.

So, on our last day, I called reception (no direct link to housekeeping) at 9-30am and asked for clean towels to be available in our room for 1pm. Did they do it? No, of course they didn’t. So another call to reception with the emphasis on getting them “immediately” and 20 minutes later the towels turned up.

To be fair – just as well, they didn’t even try – they never charged the 50Euro.

And the staff belligerence doesn’t end there.

Be aware, very aware, that this hotel operates a 2-class system. Elite and Standard. Just about every enquiry is met with…”are you Elite”, [and if not] followed by “no, I’m sorry, its only our Elite guests.”

For example…I can only guess that in the Elite rooms, they have their beach towels given to them by housekeeping in their rooms daily. RE: our leaking Jacuzzi, we kept our ‘blue’ (pleb) beach towels to mop up the water and then we handed them back for fresh ones. On one occasion, housekeeping obviously noticed the soaking blue towel on the floor, and swapped it with another beach towel – only…this beach towel was a ‘grey’ Elite towel. Stop for a minute here. The Elite beach towel is superior quality to that of not only the blue beach towel, but also the towels that are placed into our bathroom! I digress, as the point I wished to make was when I returned the Elite towel for a fresh one, I was, I can only describe as: interrogation, by the pool guard. If it wasn’t just a towel, I would have thought I had in my hand Zeus’ toga!

Not a pleasant way to be addressed at all.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone calling me "sir", I just would like spoken to as if I have some modicum of intelligence. I don't blame the staff for this, I see it as reflection on the management.

5 star? Hmmmm...

Evenings…

The hotel is quiet. It never gets lively at all – which is good if you want peace and quiet. As the hotel is out of reach of walking distance to a town for entertainment, if you stay onsite, then you can soak up the self styled cabaret acts that perform at the beach bar from around 9-30pm.

Desperate for some action, we headed down there to see some dancing, which included some dreadful singing. We also saw ‘Andy” the singing sensation from Canada who interspersed with his quips and attempts at wit, endaevoured to sing. If you are familiar with “X Factor” type shows, then Andy would most certainly have caught some camera time, but sadly would have been dismissed in the first auditions only to assure us that he “will be back next year!”

I admire singers that talk their way through the difficult notes, but I also felt sorry for the guy as his efforts at encouraging audience participation led to weary silences and an awkward audience.

Andy….it was the audience’s fault.

Fellow reviewers – come on....really….its not Butlins!

Other ‘acts’ included a jazz band and they were pretty good - the girl is a great singer and the band are experienced, a DJ who was as lively as the dire music he was spinning, but the main highlight was a very talented rock band who took requests and they ‘can’ play. In fact theses guys and the jazz people were light years ahead of the other acts served up.

In search of alternatives things to see, we walked over to the hotel next door.

Prior to us booking the Elysium, we had seriously considered this hotel, but at the 11th hour we decided that as the hotel in all inclusive, it would mean more children.

Certainly during our tour we saw more children here than in the Elysium. The hotel next door is only one season old, and its open, clean and modern chic, but I have to say, the Elysium feels a bit better in the lobby and lounge areas.

We also had to go via the hotel next doors beach to get to the local watersports place, and the beach here is very congested – complete with youngish guys acting very very drunk. It doesn’t look comfortable at all. The Elysium beach is better set up – if sparse compared to the hotel next door.

On the whole though, it’s clear to see a lot more going on in there. And I am glad we didn’t choose to stay there. Too many children, too many drunks and just too many people.

Volume is ok if its un-noticeable. The better hotels can deal with it, so I wondered how the hotel next door squared up against the Elysium?

We knew a couple from home that were staying in the hotel next door at the same time as us, and they said they were very happy with the rooms and the hotel. So who knows?

Spa.

The spa uses Espa products, which personally I like. I have used Espa for years and rate it highly.
The spa is pretty good. We both had the Detox treatment and the masseuses were very good. The facility itself had the usual you’d find anywhere. It’s a little pricey though. But recommend a visit during your stay.

Other areas of interest.

Rhodes town, and well worth a visit or three. The Old City is full of tourist shops and restaurants. Its better to go in the evenings as during the day it’s very hot.

There is a some cajoling by the restaurants to get you in, and whilst most of them accept a polite “no thank you”, others persist and these are best ignored. We ate in a couple of different places and the food was ok and was much the same as the next place.

Hire a car for a few days. I got relatively new automatic VW Polo for 65Euro per day – which is a bit steep, but going on what was indicated for taxi fares to and fro, it pays for itself after a few trips into the town, and a drive to Tsambiki and Lindos.

We also hiked the 300 steps up the hill to visit a monastery - don't worry Tripadvisor, I will post a review. The views are tremendous alone, even if the monastery itself offers little to see.

Make sure you find your way to local oasis of a beach which is about 1km away from the hotel to the North. It is an oasis and the Taverna there done the best food I had in my entire 2 weeks!! I will post a review Tripadvisor mods ;)

Also worth noting, that on Rhodes, there is a ‘public beach’ policy. This means that the hotel beach isn’t exclusive to the hotel, and that the public can use it. And they do. To the point where they appear to be making a point of setting up their parasols and chairs right in front of the hotel parasols and beds. I observed upwards of 30 people descending the adjacent road armed with beaching equipment, walking past perfectly good areas to set up in front of the hotel.

Traveller Tip number 5: on the beach, sit as close to the beach bar as possible – you can pick up the Wi-Fi here.

Acid test.

Would I return to the Elysium?

Yes - but only if I got a deal I could hardly refuse. Its not a 5 star hotel in my experience. Although a UK resident, I have lived in the Middle East and South East Asia, so if you are not travelled, I can understand you might disagree with me.

It’s not a good 5 star hotel.

Hotel location – 4 star.
Hotel building quality – 4 star.
Hotel territory – 4 star.
Hotel fixtures and finishing – 4 star.
Rooms – 3.5 star.
Reception staff – sorry, very poor. 0 stars. You bear the brunt of all the little things that go wrong, but you are ill equipped to deal with them - I think.
Restaurant concierge – 1 star. You collect numbers and offer no help.
Restaurant staff – most are very good, but some very poor. 3.5 stars as my experience with them was good overall.
Beach bar staff – 3 stars for the same reasons above.
Noble restaurant – 4.5 stars.
Spa – 4 stars.
Beach – sand quality is 2 star, and water is 4.5 star. Beds and general infrastructure….3 star.

So that little tally brings their average score to 3.5 stars – which is about right.

Here is a tip for wannabe 5 star hotel owners: go to South East Asia, check in to a 5 star or even 4 star hotel, and watch how they gracefully take care of their customers without breaking sweat. Look at how they inform any guests that may have to wait on their table being prepared, by informing them of the number of minutes they may need to wait, inform them of the menu that morning and so on i.e. don’t let them feel as though they are second best. Don’t discern between “elite” and “standard”. Also very worthwhile when you are there to look at the constantly cleaning and polishing and the quality of finishing’s.

Rhodes itself is a beautiful place. The landscape is Mediterranean rocky with clear and calm sea. The people generally appear to be friendly. And with a car it’s easy to get around, with only minimal fuss due to semi-suicidal scooters.

This is the part where the Hotel Manager, or Customer Services person responds with the cut and paste statement. Perhaps offering something like….”Dear Sir, we are sorry to hear about your problems incurred with your recent stay…blah…blah…blah. We can assure you that we will look into this and make every effort to ensure no further repeat….blah….blah….blah. We hope that you will consider trying our hotel again where you experience will be improved…..blah….blah….blah.
Well. Please spare the further insult to my intelligence and don’t bother. You reception staff and their claims of “policy” and “no manager is available” say it all, and no further comment is needed.

I may, or may not return under my own steam.

But, I have to say....I had an excellent holiday :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
19  Thank Franco_Begbie

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review. We make a systematic and continuous effort to maintain a high level of service and exceptional facilities. The result of our efforts is proven by numerous awards (posted in our website) and positive reviews (posted not only in TripAdvisor, but also in various other consumer review websites). At the same time, we are aware, and we do accept the fact that that there will always be a very small number of guests who will be unsatisfied, and who furthermore will post reviews of such content and style. We respect their opinion, but we leave it up to the judgement of other fellow travellers who have experienced the hotel to assess the trustworthiness of their arguments. It is really strange however how someone, given the presence on the Internet of extensive material about our hotel and especially our rooms (including photos, videos, and even 360 degree panoramas), who did “much reading” and comparisons “to other offerings” to end up choosing “a plain, cheap “twin” room with furniture that could have come from a large out of town furniture store that specializes in flat pack furniture..” Once again thank you for the time you devoted in writing this review.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

From the moment we arrived we where overwhelmed

This hotel will go to great lengths to attend your every needs
We were upgraded to a junior suite which was amazing
Why we don't know but it was amazing room1108
If staying at this hotel you should request the main building as they have an of location premises
A little away from the pool and restaurants
Bus stops at front of the hotel to take you any were you need to go
But keep in mind it's midway to rhodes and by the time it gets to elysium it's quiet packed
Taxi options was best
15 euro one way
Hotel can rent you a car for 40 euro a day this is peak season of July
This option was best if you wanted to see the island
Lindos is aprox 40 min away and worth the trip and would recommend a overnight stay at lindos blu
Rhodes is also amazing
Elysium in in the middle of the two destinations and found it to be very remote and nothing to see or do there
If I was to visit rhodes again
I would stay lindos and rhodes town
There was nothing in the evening to do other than hotel entertainment
No efpos machine for 2 kilometres made it hard to change money
If you want a quiet hotel this is it
Wifi was weak and not that great
Gym facility's great
Restaurants 7/10
Service at restaurants 10/10
Location 4/10

Room Tip: Main building pool view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Situated across Kallithea beach, Elysium hotel consists of three seafront buildings. It is newly built, classy, but minimal. Great surroundings, lovely sea, beautiful rooms. Before booking, I went through all negative reviews and to be honest, I was surprised by the effort, kindness and courtesy shown by ALL hotel employees! Dimitra, hostess, always with a shiny smile-my two boys loved her, Michalis, waiter, tried really hard to keep us satisfied, Vasiliki, receptionist, on top of everything. Apart from the effective staff, everything flows smoothly, excellent food (amazing coffee,I must say) relaxation and comfort at their best. The only thing i didn't like was the picture of the pool after 2pm, lots of litter around and a general mess. (please you guys, pay some kid 30euros to keep the pool neat and tidy - it's a shame!).I spent a week at Elysium with my family, we all had a great time and really loved it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
harmony_el, Customer Services at Elysium Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you liked the service provided by our staff. Please rest assured that we will pass to everyone your nice comments. In terms of your comment about the pool we would like to inform you that there is a pool attendant who, along with a team of chambermaids, are responsible to keep the pool in an excellent state during all times. It is the first time that we encounter such a comment. We will further investigate it and take all corrective actions necessary. Looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel in the near future.

Customer Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kallithea
Rodos Palladium
Eden Roc Resort Hotel & Bungalows
Amada Colossos Resort
Amada Colossos Resort
#11 of 20 in Kallithea

Been to Elysium Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!