The Kresten Royal Villas & Spa
US$125
US$121
  • Pool
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$134/night.

Rodos Palladium(Kallithea)
US$212
US$206
US$220
US$215
US$373
  • Breakfast included
Eden Roc Resort Hotel & Bungalows(Koskinou)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$106
Savings alert! 43% below average rates

The price you found is 43% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$187/night.

Romantza Mare(Kallithea)(Great Value!)
US$58
US$54
  • Pool
Agoda.com
1,954 results
All reviewsgreek restaurantprivate poolbella vista barjacuzzi bathmain restaurantpool barsister hotelrhodes townthe salt water poolthe italian a la cartelower poolbar staffsea viewmeat or fishjunior suitebottle of waterlate breakfast
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We booked the Kresten having been regular Thomson / First choice customers for the last few years? On Arrival we were wowed by the glorious reception area but this was soon dissolved by the under staffing and poor reception experience. Initially we put it down to arriving at midnight and resolved to enjoy the initially glorious potential involved in this new property.

We immediately visited the bar as it had been a good while since we'd had a drink on the plane and it took an eternity to be noticed by the seemingly clueless bar staff. There was one lady wandering around aimlessly and another gentlemen in a world of his own. Having worked a bar myself I know you go left to right and see everyone in turn..... This does not happen here. We were finally served after glaring at the gentlemen and enjoyed the first drink of the holiday . We then progressed to our room and were very pleased as it was clean fresh and modern.

The next morning we went to breakfast and couldn't help notice the number of flies in the dining area. They where ever present and had attitude often sweeping at you like a fighter jet. Or plain landing on your food when you least expect it.

Anyway we tried our best and carried on with some care to enjoy our holiday.

We visited the salt water pool which on initial site is magnificent. On entering the pool however it became very clear that a close inspection revealed a dirty water grate that s half brown and white and complete with human hair..... Not 5* so far.

Anyway resolute after paying £2150 for 7 days we were determined to be positive and carried on regardless.... Very British we thought!

We decided to book the rather inviting Greek BBQ evening at the sister hotel...clearly a important event within the week as it was well publicised and as it was a 5* hotel we thought (in spite of certain cleanliness issues already observed) surely it must be great! And then it started....

We enjoyed the BBQ but couldn't help notice how many flies were not only present in the air but on the food. We tried to avoid certain items that may have already received a visit but how on earth can you ever tell!

We finished the evening and all was well again. We went down for breakfast the next morning and sadly were crashed to earth when we saw 2 flies mating on a dining room chair and several paying a visit to the pastry section....uncovered all week! Again we tried to avoid these foods but this was not good as on Tuesday evening I began to feel unwell. By Wednesday evening after a less than impressive day both with service at the bars and in the lobby I began to suffer with the most explosive diahorrea I have ever had and as I write this review on my first day home (I still haven't fully recovered and am due to see a uk gp in the morning).

Thursday morning I woke up so poorly I had to call the doctor and he gave me the standard stuff. I recovered a little but was then faced with a diet of plain chicken and rice for the remainder of my break. Clearly needing to eat at some point during the day due to heat and being diagnosed with low blood pressure by the doctor I visited the dining room and asked for a special diet which to the hotels credit they duly obliged and were keen to ensure I was ok. This became the interesting point of the week as during my time of waiting I began observing. My wife instantly commented that the dining room floor both inside and out looked as if it has never been cleaned. There was a film of dirt and food every where you looked and in no small part (in my opinion ) was attracting the huge number of flies. I received my meal which I tried to eat but struggled for obvious reasons and duly departed having been unable to locate the matre d (a very busy looking man). And thought i will report my concerns to front of house.

I was greeted by a gentlemen who once he realised I was complaining or as I gently put it , providing feedback, instantly went on the defensive and told me it was not his job to deal with that and handed me the phone from the desk to report to the dining room myself. I was flabbergasted, having stayed in the likes of the landmark hotel London and the Mayfair I would never have imagined that a 5* hotel could be so poor on customer experience.

I resolved to find the rep named Nadia who was a delight in every way and way to good to have to put up with this! But unfortunately I was overcome with diahorrea as the heat progressed in the evening and had missed her on this occasion. Friday was her day off and true to the brand image of Thomson I did receive a courtesy call from the local office and after a day on the doctors medication I felt ok... Not perfect.

I was clearly delighted to be having rice and chicken again, but again to the restaurants credit they did prepare my menu on the friday without hassle. I was relieved that I was having my food freshly cooked as the hawk eyed flies were all over the dining room again and one even bit my leg.... Didn't know they could lol. (trying to be positive). My wife s beginning to feel uncomfortable at this point and also very worried about me as again I had a relapse and this time even on the special diet had to walk to the pharmacy where I nearly had a bridesmaids moment ( those who've seen the film will understand) to gain more medication.

Saturday was our last day but we hadn't had a great time and finally caught up with the rep having sufficiently dosed myself up to fabricate a well feeling.... And I really did .... The pharmacy was better than the doctor. But as I couldn't stay in the heat I'd noticed other issues in the hotel. Namely live wires visible at chest height in the public washrooms, no glass in the shower cubicle in the men's spa shower.(incidentally I did lol at this point as it couldn't have finished my week off better as I tried to freshen up to go home). Also blistered paint on the front sign.... Can you imagine a uk 5* hotel being this out of step..... as well as chips in the crockery in the dining room and glasses.

So I gave Nadia a suitable list in a calm and collected fashion finding time to laugh as we discussed it..... You had to, the cost of 1 week here nearly eclipsed 10 days in the glorious hotel riviera maya h10 in Mexico... incidentally with Thomson.... Superb !!!! That we'd been in a year before.

Nadia has resolved to address these issues but I only hope she can exercise enough influence , they don't listen and certianly don't appreciate feedback. This hotel has so much potential but needs a strong leader in all areas to galvanise the team, provide suitable training, and release the potential that is really there. I won't be visiting again as I have never felt so poorly and still continue with stomach cramps this evening. I can't say for sure it was the hotels fault.... But it is not beyond reasonable doubt given the hygiene issues and flies everywhere that crawl over all implements for public consumption.

Very sad and feel a lot of money wasted. Service and cleanliness and standards of presentation need work, including staffing levels. Just on a final note kudos to the 2 reception girls who after me getting mildly cross did taxi me to the nearby hotel in searing heat to repay them for covering the initial doctor cost, but even that was a customer service disaster to begin with as she said we'd take a card for reimbursement of doctor and then resolutely refused it after I dragged myself out of the room to reimburse them.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are stunning if they sort out the issues highlighted and I hope they do. Sadly I won't risk witnessing it again.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
23  Thank Paul U
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My boyfriend and I visited this hotel in early May for a weeks all inclusive holiday and we absolutely loved it! The hotel is new so really modern with a beautiful grand entrance. The service at the hotel is some of the best I have ever received, and definitely up to 5* standard! Carlos greeted us into the restaurant every night and took the time to speak to us which we found a very nice touch! The rooms were nice and spacious and the main restaurant had plenty of variation every night. Elena, one of the barmaids, was absolutely spectacular! Her service was so professional and efficient and she made the best cocktails in the whole hotel, yum! Carlos, at the pool bar also was brilliant, so friendly, polite and nice to talk to! The bus into Rhodes town only cost a couple of euros and was hassle free, and in the other direction, faliraki was only 20 minutes away, so for younger guests who want to check out the local night life, this is probably the best option. All in all, we had such a relaxing holiday and can't wait to return to the Kresten Royal again. Best Wishes to all the Kresten, Clare & Cameron

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Clare M
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Me and my wife stayed un the “ Kresten Royal” for three nights (all inclusive ) and enjoyed our stay . I am certainly recommend this hotel and it seems that every one else were satisfied as well.
I have decided to give them 5 stars although it is more 4.5 stars rating .
Pros - Well designed space upper and lower pools . you can have a private Villa with pool
Rooms were big and clean. Stuff was very friendly and helpful. Lots of space &sofas to sit and relax. We gut a coupon to the Italian restaurant which was lovely plenty and variety of food. Very friendly stuff .
Cons – food is good is not excellent in taste to our opinion . I guess that it a matter of taste .
It is very difficult to reach the sea.
Relatively far from the city -about 20 -30 minutes by bus
Tips: When travelling to the city : by bus it is 2.2 Euro per person – bus is always full – you can take a taxi – there is a taxi station right across the road which costs 9 Euro

Room Tip: Use the Taxi when reaching to or coming from the city.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank yaron c
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stayed for 11 nights in July with family. Things didn't get off to a great start when we were taken to our room which turned out to be a single junior suite. As we had booked 2x superior seaview rooms, this was a bit of a let down, not to mention less than we had paid for. It wasn't possible for the night reception staff to relocate us that night, but they did manage to get it all sorted the following afternoon - no compensatory bottle of vino, or even an apology for that matter. Generally, the reception staff were not as helpful as they could have been.

That said, the rest of our stay was just great. We were there for sun, swimming and not having to worry about the cooking.

In ALL the restaurants and bars, I can only praise the excellent service provided by the staff. They were so hardworking, keeping the buffet fully stocked and the tables served. The restaurant managers made sure we were seated quickly and always with a smile. TIP - treat your servers as you would like to be treated! A little politeness goes a long way.

Men need to wear long trousers at the evening meals. This despite the fact that women can wear little more than a wide belt. To me, this was an unnecessary constraint for this sort of hotel and I would have been far more comfortable and just as smart in tailored shorts - which I always changed into after dinner anyway - a minor inconvenience.

The buffet meals were good quality and suitably varied, though I did find myself hankering for something a bit spicier after a few days. The Italian was OK and made a change, but it was not notably spectacular. The Pool bar served very similar hot a cold buffet food as the main restaurant and meant you didn't have to trek up there at lunchtime if you were sunning at the pool.

Bar service was all good too, with the ever helpful staff doing their best to remember who should be served next - something some of the guests could do with remembering. Cocktails were all generously portioned.

The pools were all well maintained, clean and unheated. The larger pool nearer the beach was salt water and sufficiently large that it never got crowded. Our first week, the hotel was quiet and there was no problem getting sunbeds, but with the second week and the onset of the Euro/England school hols, this became harder in week two. Not reserving beds was a hotel rule which was pretty well ignored. TIP - turn up early, or do breakfast in relays.

If you don't bring your own towels, you need to pick up towels from reception at 10Euros each - you will be refunded on returning them and they will be changed for clean towels as required.

Our rooms were generously proportioned and well kept. Drawbacks are that the hotel apparently has NO double beds - just two singles pushed together. A/C in our room never got down to the advertised temperature, but that could be a function of keeping costs down in these austere times. There are a few mossies around, so bring insect repellent if you are vulnerable to the odd bite.

Overall, we had a relaxing, enjoyable stay and can recommend the Kresten Royal. Please vote up if you found this helpful.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms overlooking the main pool were nice. Juniior suites have a flimsy divider between the rooms and are really only suitable for families staying with younger children if the parents want a little privacy!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
23  Thank FatFreddiesCat
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Overall, we had a fantastic vacation. The hotel and staff were amazing and tried their best to ensure we were having a great time.

First of all, the hotel grounds themselves are beautiful. Most of the rooms have a fantastic view of the pools and beach area. Our room was very spacious, clean and was decorated very nicely. The only downside was the fact that the beds were really hard and we couldn't get a really good night sleep.. The hotel has 5 pools (kiddie pool, sea-water pool, 2 regular pools and 1 heated pool). There are always enough sunbeds and the added bonus is that most have nearby pool bars :)

The food was suprisingly good! We have never quite seen a variety such as the one offered by the hotel- they even have an "healthy" section. Since it is an all-inclusive hotel- they serve food around the clock. Also, you receive the option of dinning in two of their "speciality" restaurants- the Greek and the Italian restaurants. We prefered the Italian restaurant because of the high-quality and the presentation of the food.

The hotel location is also convienient- It is about 10 minutes from Rhodes City (depending on when the bus decides to show up :) Like I mentioned before, the staff was very nice (Nikos from the hotel restaurant and George from the Greek restaurant- especially!!!)

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Try to get rooms from 600 and up- more centerly located.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family