2,193 results
All reviews greek restaurant private pool bella vista bar jacuzzi bath on arrival pool bar main restaurant the salt water pool rhodes town sister hotel lower pool the italian a la carte bar staff sea view bottle of water chinese night junior suite
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We travelled to the Kresten Royal on 7 August 2013 for our two week annual holiday. On arrival the hotel looked stunning, however this is where 'stunning' ended. We were booked into a junior suite - the other couple who travelled with us were booked into a double room - the only difference in the rooms was a larger bathroom (with a window) and a three seater sofa bed instead of two seater, so where the term 'junior suite' comes from I have nil clue! Anyway, to get to the cafeteria situation, where you had to eat for 10 days of your holiday (you are given 4 visits to the a la carte restaurants for a two week stay). The food was varied and there was more than enough for everyone, however the cafeteria (as that was what it was, not a restaurant) was grossly understaffed - the staff that were there were, from what we could see, worked extremely hard......too hard for a five star as it made us feel uncomfortable. The beer was awful, so much so that we had to buy some from the shop. What I find irritating is the 'dress code' for men, how laughable is this?? Long trousers for dinner, any normal person would assume this means trousers, not dirty jeans that look like they have been worn every night for the last month, which is what we witnessed night after night. The guests at this hotel left a lot to be desired, marauding around the place with plates piled high with food, a lot of which was thrown away. The greed and bad manners left us speechless, and don't get me wrong, I am not a snob, I am a normal working person with manners, that is all, so if you are the same, and you just expect people to behave reasonably then do not book this hotel, I know it is not the hotels fault that people behaved as they did but surely if people were throwing food around and spilling it onto the floor continuously then management should have approached them to ask them not to do it? My son fell over three times at meal times, slipping on the spilt food and drinks. The thing that left the worst taste was the fact that my daughters purse was stolen, yes, stolen, and I can say this with certainty. I shall elaborate - my daughter left her purse on her bed before we went out to the pool, when we returned the purse had gone. I assumed that it had been bundled up with the sheets and taken by housekeeping for laundering, I went to the reception to ask if this had been the case, the girl on reception rang housekeeping and enquired. She was waiting for a call back so we said we would come back in the morning, which we did, with the Jet 2 rep (who happened to be in the hotel at the time, we thought it would be better, as he was greek and could explain fully what had happened) and spoke to the same girl on reception, who looked at us as if we had never spoken to her before! So, once again she rang housekeeping, and we waited this time, she said that no purse had been found. The rep dismissed the thought that the purse could have been stolen and even said that he would buy our daughter another purse but not put the 40 euros in it. The rep basically said that there was no way that the purse would have been stolen and that to get the police involved would be a bit heavy handed. Obviously, I hoped that the purse would turn up when we were packing, unfortunately this was not the case. My sons wallet (they are twins) also went missing on this trip, he is adamant that it too was in the room however we cannot be 100% of this, however we ARE 100% sure that our daughters purse was in the room when we left, and when we returned it was not there! The maids leave the door open when they are cleaning, maybe it was an opportunist theif? Who knows?? What I am appalled at is the complete disinterest of the management at the Kresten, I had, in essence, reported a theft, and NO ONE WAS INTERESTED!!!!!! I was glad to return home. I have given two stars, one star is for the overworked staff at the hotel and another is for the pools. Also, a note to the manager who likes to reply to comments left on trip advisor. Don't bother responding to this as you didn't take the time to respond to our concerns regarding our daughters purse!

Room tip: don't choose a room in this hotel!
6  Thank Barry E
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We arrived at 31. July back from this hotel. We was satisfied with any smaller problems, which I'd like to recommend to the Hotel Management.

- as we arrived to the first time to our room it was not 100% clean. A last washing of the tiles missed - honestly we missed it all of the days we spent there
- the pools were for me too cold. It was not pleasant to stay in it - just get in, cold up yourself and fast back to the deck-chair
- there was no clear sign where to find the beach - we found it only at our third day. But the sea was absolutely alrigh, great wiew, good warm

The people (especially Christos and Carolos in the bars) were very friendly. The food was rich and varied. All we missed that we could not eat at both thematical restaurant becouse we only staied 5 days... I think it was small-minded in a 5-star-hotel.

What we found excellent is the cat family near to the salt-water-pool. We are big cat-friends and spent a lot of time with them - of course we found magical the small kitten near the main restaurant - I just read here that somebody cared it an took him home- I'm very glad about it and hope he'll have a nice and long life :-)

But my specials were that cat family- I'm wondering what's happening with them? If you have newer information (or perhaps are on Holiday actually at Kresten Royal) I'd be glad to hear about them - that is a so good cat-mother with her kitten - it is very seldom as a cat -.

Altogether Rhodes is very nice and we're planning to come back - but in a time where the temperature is below 25 degrees C

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gedeon T
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Stayed a week, 2 adults and 2 kids. Had a great time and enjoyed the room, food and the pools. We found the hotel to be modern, clean and relaxing. The restaurant and pool bar are great and the selection of food on offer was often local/traditonal, varied and tasty.

Hardly had to wait for a drink and if we did it was only for a few minutes (just as in any other popular bar) and the selection and service was spot on.

The pools are good and the snorkeling was very good. My wife tried the spa and had a very relaxing time.

We did go to the Greek night up at the sister hotel but left after a bit of a wasp situation so I would give that a miss but other than that it was a great holiday and I cannot fault the hotel or staff.

Ignore the negative reviews and enjoy your holiday.

Room tip: Room 310 was nice and quiet
2  Thank keithchief
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

We have just completed our 2-week stay at the Kresten Royal. I won't go into all of the detail here as I wrote one at the end of our first week (see review from 8 July), partly to reassure those about to travel here and to counteract the negative reviews.

What I said in my earlier review stands:

- the staff are particularly friendly and hard-working, particularly Cristos (bar), Paschalis (restaurant) and the girls in the pool bar (Nina and her colleague).

- reception staff are welcoming, friendly and efficient. It must be a difficult job at times, so well done!

- the rooms are spacious, clean and modern and very comfortable.

- the food over the 2-weeks was just excellent, you could not fault it. As I said in my earlier review, I think it actually beats The Sheraton in Ixia. Well done to the Executive Chef and his team, who you could often spot out and about casting an eye over everything

- drinks are great (although a couple more staff to help serve at peak times would be good).

I feel I need to make a point to management though:

- the evening entertainment is just absolutely dire. I wonder if management have actually endured it? They really need to get rid of it and just have some piped music instead, that would be much better. Mr Manager: take a look at the entertainment at The Sheraton, which is first class, and if you're going to provide anything then have it to this standard - otherwise don't do anything.

- there's not enough outdoor seating in the evenings (although later on after the entertainment has scared everyone away there's plenty) and it's too warm to sit in the lobby bar

We had an excellent time - and will seriously consider returning. Thank you!

Date of stay: July 2013
3  Thank CatReidScotland_UK
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Just returned from one week at this lovely hotel. We booked two double rooms and one junior suite with private pool for our group of 5 adults and 1 child. When one of the adults was unable to travel we decided we only needed 2 not 3 rooms. The hotel then upgraded us to a royal suite which also had a private pool but this was nearly 3 times the size of the junior suite pool. This left us with two rooms and two private pools...result.
The rooms were spacious clean and had fabulous views over the Aegean Sea. In our fridges we were greater with a plate of fresh fruit, a bottle of water and a bottle oF sparkling wine. A nice touch we thought.
The main pools were lovely, the top pool outside reception got very busy and you have to be up early to get a bed there, bit the lower pool that also had the kids pool beside it was a different case and we always had plenty of beds available. This also had the poolside bar and restaurant that served up breakfast snacks, lunch and ice creams. It was always our choice over the main restaurant for lunch as it meant we could go in our swim wear and sarong etc. here there was a good choice of hot and cold food, all freshly prepared by the very hard working chef and his team.
The bar here served up the full bar lists of beer wine spirIts and cocktails. Magdalena and nina worked non stop here with constant smiles to welcome us all. The Greek night was also held here which was very good and when the pool was lot up at night, gave a very pretty back drop for night.
The main restaurant (buffet) offered a good varied choice that everyone in our party enjoyed (even the real fussy ones)
The Italian restaurant served up a lovely 5 course meal, both this and the Greek night had to be booked at least 24 hrs previous and were allocated to one visit per restaurant per room room each week.
The main reception bar was very pleasant and welcoming but the only down side we found was lack of bar staff at bust times
We chose to do to the bar up by the Italian restaurant. It was quieter and cooler and we were served daily by the lovely Elena who was smiley welcoming and very efficient.
Considering it was August and peak holiday time the hotel did not appear busy as so many of the rooms had their own pools where most people chilled by, the public pool and general areas were never crowded.
We are now considering booking again for next year, we don't normally return anywhere twice no matter how good as we like to try different places out, but this holiday ticked all the boxes and was soooo relaxing I don't think we can resist a further visit.
Happy holidays :)

Room tip: Room 613 junior suite Room 703 royal suite
5  Thank JoolzMc