“Fantastic”

Kalithea Sun & Sky Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Kallithea
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Just back from the Sun and Sky - absolutely loved it! We had a really great, relaxing time.

Yes, the bedrooms are pretty basic and the bathrooms are dated, and the hotel itself looks a little "tired" in some places, but that didn't bother us at all. Shower was decent - good water pressure. Housekeeping excellent - sheets and towels changed regularly. Lovely big balcony - plenty of space to dry towels and clothes etc. Nice view over the gardens. The bedrooms are big and there's plenty of storage space..shame that all of the rooms seem to be twin rooms, so we didn't have a double bed, just 2 single beds pushed together, but that's a minor point! The beds are comfortable though. Fridge was useful.

The air con would have cost us an extra 6 euros per day because it was May, but we found that we didn't need it anyway. Weather was fantastic and very warm, but there was enough of a breeze and May is a great time to go because it is not stiflingly hot and pushing 40 degrees! So the air con wasn't necessary for us.

The pool area is absolutely lovely and there are plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas. The pool is really clean, and the gardens are pretty and really well-maintained. Great tennis court too!

I really enjoyed the food in the hotel, as I like buffets and being able to try a bit of everything. There was always plenty of variety and when dishes ran out, the staff were very quick to replace them. They were also fast at clearing the tables. I think my boyfriend found the food a bit more hit and miss than I did, but agreed that in terms of value for money, it couldn't be beaten. I think we would have liked some more Greek dishes though! We love Greek food and are always keen to sample the local cuisine! But the hotel has to cater for so many different nationalities, as well as kids etc, that it must be tricky - generally I thought that the menu was very well thought out and attempted to cater for everyone. There are themed nights a couple of nights per week, including a BBQ! My boyfriend was particularly impressed with the dishes on the Mexican themed night! For the money you pay and the fact that you can help yourself to as much food and as many drinks as you like, I just cannot understand people complaining about it.

The local beer is nice and the cocktails are great too - very strong!! Soft drinks not great...tasted very cheap and sugary, but again, a very minor point! Drinks are served in plastic cups, which was not an issue for us, and it's also understandable to serve them like this when you are sitting around a pool.

Antonio's pizza place across the road from the hotel is absolutely fantastic if you find that you fancy a meal out - delicious, authentic and reasonably priced. Mike's bar next to it has a good atmosphere, good drinks and it stays open REALLY late. There are lots of restaurants and bars in the area, and the small supermarkets and souvenir shops are good too.

The hotel had a very pleasant atmosphere when we were staying there - guests were mostly Russians, English and Germans. The entertainment nights, which are held 3 times a week include Greek dancing, live music, karaoke etc.

We would highly recommend a visit to Lindos - it's simply stunning - and we had the most amazing meal there at Cyprus Tavern Timi's Place - there's a fantastic view from the rooftop restaurant, the food is fresh and tasty and the service is friendly. Lindos is an extremely busy place - coachloads and coachloads of people, but well worth visiting - it is so ancient and picturesque. Great beach too.

Rhodes Old Town is also beautiful, with lots to see. It's quaint and pretty and a very relaxing to walk around. Lots of shops too, so ideal for souvenir hunting! The Water Park at Faliraki, the largest in Europe, is supposed to be fantastic but at 22 euros each, we thought that was quite pricey, so we didn't go this time, but will definitely be on the list of things to do for next time! We were also planning to visit the Valley of the Butterflies, but heard that the end of August/September is probably the best time to go, because the butterflies apparently only start coming out of their cocoons in June/July.

Rhodes island caters extremely well to tourists and we found the bus service to be very good. The hotel is ideally located for exploring the area. It might be a bit too quiet for some people, but it was wonderful for us. The bus stops to Rhodes Town, Faliraki and Lindos are near the hotel. A taxi to Rhodes Town costs around 9 euros, as the hotel is around 4 miles from Rhodes Town but it's worth haggling!

I would highly recommend Kalithea Sun & Sky as it's the best value for money holiday we've ever had and the staff really go out of their way to make you feel welcome. They are hard-working, friendly, efficient, attentive and helpful and there is a cheerful laidback feel to the hotel which I really liked. For what we paid, it was of an excellent standard - I would definitely go back!

2  Thank LMW2112

Reviewed 2 June 2013

I found the reviews on here very useful when booking this hotel so I thought it wouldn't hurt to write one of my own.

We visited this hotel on 25th May 2013 and Returned on 1st June 2013!

On arrival at the hotel I felt a little underwhelmed by the decor. Some parts (e.g tiles on the floor) are in desperate need of an upgrade, Please don't let this put you off, the hotel in itself is so smooth running and friendly that I really have very little complaint. My husband and I arrived at approx 3.30pm and after travelling all day were starving. We went to the snack bar only to be a little disappointed by the lack of snacks actually available. We were all inclusive guests so were expecting a little more variety other than a plate of biscuits (although they were cooked within the hotel, and tasted delicious)!! The drinks available were pretty good (Water/Orange juice/ Apple juice/ Diet Coke/Coke/Lemonade/Lemon and Limeade or Beer) and as they were from a drinks dispenser they were always cold (which in the temperatures we were experiencing was perfect).

The pool area was always clean and was a good size for a nice cooling Swim.. (A little shallow pool was next to the big one which children {from other families - we have no children} seemed to enjoy thoroughly). Slightly disappointingly the poolside toilets were in a bad state of repair. Another part that could do with an update. To be honest though I only used the public loo when desperate, so it wasn't a huge problem. You could see that the staff constantly cleaned them, but with the state that they are in, it never looked clean. The music at the poolside was often quite loud, so we found ourselves perching on sunbeds at the other side of the pool (away from the loud music) and this was much more preferable.

The bedrooms were always clean, with plenty of storage space for luggage. Bedding (and towels) were changed 3 times within the week, but every day the cleaners came in and made the beds (I think they cleaned the bath and sinks too). The beds were a little hard, but that's all down to personal preference as to whether or not you would like that. We feel the hotel could have provided extra pillows as we only had 1 each. My husband and I ended up rolling up the extra blankets provided and popping those underneath, which did just the trick :) My husband's pillow (NOT the pillow case) was quite grimy underneath but the pillow smelt clean.... Perhaps just a stain? The pillow had a pillowcase over it so we felt no need to ask to change it.

The bathroom was very dark (Black tiles covered the walls floor and ceiling) but with a large mirror on the dressing table in the bedroom, it wasn't too much of a problem. The shower was just a bath shower, but after removing the kink from the hose we found the pressure was just fine. (only one day did we have a problem with trickling water, but we think that everyone must have been showering at the same time). The water temperature was often hit and miss. Some days it was freezing cold and others perfectly warm (not hot... who would want a hot shower on sunburn? not me)!!

Meal times were amazing. The staff were friendly and efficient. There was always enough food to go round, and every table was cleared away quickly. The staff were always wiping tables down so we feel it was all very clean. No complaints about main meals at all. The variety was brilliant. Something for everyone. :)

Air-Con and Wi-fi are extra charges within this hotel and is not included for All inclusive guests. However we never felt the need for Air-Con. We didn't spend too much time in our room, and when we did we had the balcony door open which was sufficient. There is an Internet area that you can pay to use, but again we never felt the need to use the internet (We have internet on our mobile phones).

There are 2 x pool tables, a ping pong table, a few arcade machines and an air hockey machine. They all require (except ping pong) a few Euros to play but they certainly kept us entertained :-) The ba,r which is near by, provided a few good cocktails and drinks. (They open at 5.30 once the snack bar has closed). The inclusive guests are welcome to drink to 11.00pm however 'Happy Hour (50% off cocktails)' is from 11.30 to 12.30am (So i assume if you pay for those cocktails you can carry on drinking). A few themed nights were held although we didn't attend them, so can't actually review the acts themselves. (Mon - Greek Dancing. Wed - Karaoke and Fri- a Live Band). They were very loud (My husband and I had to sleep with the balcony door open at night due to the heat, but found this tricky with the noise from these themed nights.. which we think were held in the garden area). Although we would have liked it to be a little less noisy we do not begrudge anyone for putting on these nights as I am sure they were great fun for those who attended.

We had a wonderful stay in the hotel and have come home feeling very relaxed. Apart from the few little things I mentioned above EVERYTHING else was fantastic. I would highly recommend coming here if you are after an english (as a second language) speaking hotel that you can either stay by the pool and relax Or head out and just use it as somewhere to sleep.

1  Thank Steph R
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is not the MARQUISE ok? But good value and fun

My wife & I visited in may/June this year. Our unbiased opinion is:

GOOD:

- staff in all areas very friendly
- food ok but guys you cannot put strawberries in a fridge ok?
- evening entertainment was every other night thank god but very good
- no animateurs trying to get you you to do underwater archery or synchronised hairdressing
- really cheap car hire
- no rush on beds at pool- and yes there were Germans staying
- good mix of nationalities and ALL ages
BAD
Errrr why no coffee / tea at lunch/dinner?
Studio flats are hostel standard- just refuse if offered- they would not qualify for hi de hi- truly awful
Intermittently no hot water-hello?
Garden paths are overgrown and give bad impression- dig up and invest in a bit of paint
Snacks are really bad-does anyone really need cake and cured ham at 11am? Yuk!
Air conditioning is 6 euros a day if you want it before July- the upside is unless you are obscenely rich you lose 5 kilos a day
Beach nearby that is close charges a lot for beds- doesn't belong to the hotel
No shops near by except a cocktail bar and a pretty good supermarket

We recommend Tsambika Beach, Niraeus Seafood in 45-47 old town

2  Thank bazzerino
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Having just returned from 2 weeks in this Hotel i would like to say the staff are excellent, especially reception who were most helpful finding us a hairdresser at short notice for a family wedding we were attending( having been let down at 8. 30 the night before with the one we had booked 1 week before) the barstaff were superb , gave 1st class attention to all and created a great atmosphere ( heres to you Mike & Damian) . House keeping was really good ,the rooms were cleaned every day could not fault the cleanliness . The biggest let down to the Hotel was th food , very little chice of main meal, 3 maybe 4 choices which were always cold and in short supply-- often ran out to be replaced by snack items such as beefburgers or fishfingers!!!!!!!!
Have to say the salad bar was always plentiful though. Sweets left a lot to be desired jelly & ice-cream, blancmange , sliced fresh fruit ie apple orange or pineapple. On the whole we found it very repetative.We did enjoy our holiday , but unfortunatley we would not return to this Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mommard
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Just back from this hotel (May 2013) and have nothing but praise for this hotel.

Check in - was very quick and easy. Think the air con is extra, but we didn't need it anyway. Reception staff are very helpful and the manager a lovely man trying to do his best to continually better the hotel.

Room - quite basic as you'd expect but our room facing the front of the hotel had been refurbished and was very clean and had modern fixtures. Shower was very good and beds very comfy.

Food - provably the best 3 star all inclusive you can get with an excellent choice of good quality food. Breakfasts had lots of cereals, fruit, breads, and usually included fried eggs, sausage (Greek), bacon (Greek equivalent), baked beams, scrambled eggs etc (and chips for some reason???). Lunch and dinner also had excellent choices from English food (fried chicken, burgers, pizza, casseroles etc) through to Greek dishes. The salad bar was always full and very fresh, and there was delicious soup at dinner. Desserts were a little monotonous - usually jelly, blamange, fresh fruit or I've cream though there was some cakes and biscuits at times.

Drinks - it's self service on soft drinks, beers (2types) and red and white wine during the day, though local spirits are a ail able as well. The bar opens at 5 and seemed to be doing a good selection of drinks and cocktails.

Pool - a lovely pool area with lots of sunbeds available (and comfy ones too) and a choice of beside the pool or on the grass in the grounds. It was cleaned daily and was lovely to sunbathe next to.

Location - Kalithea is midway between Old Rhodes Town at the top of the island and Lindos and Faliraki at the bottom so is perfect for visiting everywhere that you fancy. Taxi's are around 10 Euros to each end and buses around 2.10 euros. Around the hotel there Re quite a few shops, bars and restaurants, though it was still quite as we were there so early in the season!!!

To Do - in the hotel there are pool tables, table tennis, a volleyball court and internet computers. There is entertainment 3 times a week of Greek dancing, karaoke and a singer. (Karaoke was like watching the Eurovision Song Contest with all the different nationalities and was very funny!!!!)

Gripes - not much to complain about, but hotels charging for wifi really irks me, and at €20 a week wasn't that cheap. It was also annoying that they turned the coffee machine off during lunch and dinner (not sure why as the other drinks were available, and you could get coffee from the bar, so why turn off the machine then????? Odd!!!!)

These were only very minor issues though and all in all I e never stayed in a 3* hotel that was so nice - the food is particularly impressive and the whole place is spotlessly clean!!!!

If we ever go back to Rhodes (which is a beautiful island) I would definitely want to stay here again!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank dmorgan202
Reviewed 23 March 2013

First I would like to thank the hotel manager bar staff restaurant manager and staff the maids who cleaned our apartment .we stayed in a two room apartment myself wife and two children aged 14 and 11 . The rooms are spotless and cleaned everyday to a high standard the maids were extremely helpful. The hotel grounds are well kept and maintained swimming pool both for adult and children well kept and clean . The restaurant there was always somewhere to sit food was always good and a good variety .the bars were excellent never waited for a drink we had glasses every night the rule is you sit by the bar .The reception was always manned and the staff were very helpful. The manager of the hotel alway spoke to the guests he never walked passed anybody very fire ndly. The hotel is ideal for afamily holiday not to loud. We will be back in 21 Aug 2013 so I do hope we have same type of room we hired a car two minutes down the road a old banger very cheap no roof built in air condition pizza parlour over road excellent and value for money .The hotel is in an ideal position not far from Rhodes town and faliraki we have been goin to the Greek islands for seventeen years and this is the first time we have ever booked same hotel twice well done to this manager and staff

Room Tip: we had room which was away from main building which was nice and quiet