“Overall pretty good from a 3 star all inclusive”

Kalithea Sun & Sky Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Kallithea
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Overall this was a pretty good 3 star all inclusive. Upon arrival we were booked in very quickly & efficiently by the reception staff. Our room was on the 1st floor, overlooking the car park at the front of the hotel. This didn't really bother us as we received the late afternoon sun. Unfortunately our room did overshadow the delivery entrance, meaning 'wake up calls' were given for free, every day around 8.00am.
The corridor to our room was a little dated, however upon entering the room it was clean & had ample space for 3 of us. The towels & bed sheets are changed 3 times a week, with the maids cleaning the room every day. Our bathroom had a 1930's celebrity mirror, complete with bulb surrounds, however it was clean & the shower gave really hot water each time we used it. The bed's were pretty solid however an extra pillow each, found in the wardrobe did help the beds.

The restaurant was fairly standard, with 2 meat dishes, a fish dish and accompaniments at lunch and tea time. The breakfast's were pretty good, it does include chips as an option, but the rest all tasted pretty good. I'd advise going half an hour to an hour later than when the dining hall first opens. We ate at 1.30 at lunch & 7.30 on an evening, we didn't really have to queue for anything and all the food is replenished quickly. The hall is very busy if you go straight in the moment it opens.
Saturday involves a BBQ for tea, with Kebabs and burgers on offer. The Burger, with Feta cheese, Lettuce and Tzatziki in a bread roll was excellent.

The pool has plenty of sunbeds, we didn't have to wait to acquire any, with plenty of shade being provided by the trees surrounding the area. We turned up to the pool around 9.30/10 each morning and there was always plenty of space available. The pool bar was useful, as it worked on a self service principle.

The main bar does get busy, as having 1 barman serve 100/200 guests would do. The range of drinks is pretty expansive, the 'house' cocktails of Blue Lagoon & Cuba Libre are great. Watch out for the amount of rum put into the drinks, at one point we had a 'Rum Tops' with 4 inches of Rum, to a half inch of coke.

The service by all staff was good, everyone appeared friendly and we didn't feel we'd been neglected at any point.

The hotel is half way up a hill (150/200 metres), but there is a bus stop at the bottom which costs €2.20 one way to Rhodes town or Faliraki. Rhodes town is definitely worth a look, Faliraki was abit of a let down, there are not many bars left here, they have all been replaced by tattoo shops & 'Foot massaged by Fish' shops.

There are a couple of Bars outside the hotel, Mike's bar is directly opposite which is open until 4/5 in the morning. The Cafe Medousa bar is at the bottom of the hill the hotel is situated on. This is open until 2 in the morning, and is €1 cheaper than Mike's bar on almost everything. The double Captain Morgans and coke for €4 was a hit, as was the free shots your given throughout the night.

We ate out 2 nights, once at the Medousa restaurant underneath the Bar, and once across the road from this. Both meals were excellent, with a starter and main meal coming in around €11 per person.

Overall we enjoyed the stay here, the hotel is a 3 star all-inclusive. What we received was a far better quality than what we have experienced in the past. I would recommend this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a pool view, rooms 201,203,205,207,209 & 210 all overlook the loading bay...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Edward L

Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

We just got back went for 2 weeks stelleos the restarant manager was really good with kids nothing was too much. Hotel manager went out of his way to talk to us and the kids most days he didn't have to.
The bad reviews I have just seen from People that was stopping at same time as us can't of been stopping at the same hotel to be honist there was nothing wrong with pool never seem a cockroach it wasn't the best hotel iv ever stopped at but for what we payed was value for money people want to pay little money and get 5 star

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Johnarcher45
Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

We checked in on the 27th may 2013 and thaught we were in a scene from the inbetweeners movie!! I was straight away dodging cockroaches on the walk up to the shabby entrence. Once checked in were left to find out little appartments in the dark after 15 minuets of lugging cases finally reached our door number as we opend the door the dark dingy room shocked us ants everywhere in the room 2 single beds pushed together in the corner. The beds were like sleeping on a stone slab and we both had back ache and neck ache all week and constantly fell down the gap in the 2 beds not to mention the 1 flat pillow each. We thaught the hotel would be better in the day and decided to give it a chance the next day we went to breakfast and was shocked at the little food that was on offer 5 trays of food in the middle of the food hall and mouldy fruit at the side was the delights we had to choose from. We were only half board and could swap evening meal for lunch so that day decided to do lunch. Lunch was mor like left over breakfast!!! And head waiter so rude !! Made us feel like we shouldn't be there because we were not all inclusive !! Many more times after this the staff were rude got the impression they don't like the English !!!! Waited 20 minuets at the pool bar to buy an ice cream whilst bar lady stacked cups and had a good old natter when I said sorry can I pay for these she was disgusted that I'd interrupted her conversation and made me out to be a big inconvenience !!!! The best part of this hotel is the door out of it!!!! Even the pool was a shambles!!! The paint was still wet at the bottom and got stuck to your feet!! I got out and my feet were caked in blue paint!! There were stray dogs and cats running loose and begging for food and jumping in fleas there was flies all over the so called "food" that I wudnt feed to my dog!!! And the Russians were like animals at the zoo pushing you out the queue this hotel need a revamp from top to bottom!!!! And the staff need to realise that we pay their wages at the end of the day and we should not be made to feel that way on holiday I would strongly advise you not to stay here we endid up eating every evening at Antonios pizza and pasta across the road lovely food and lovely treatment something u should expect from your hotel really Rhodes was lovely however this hotel was like a prison camp even the girls in the room opposite had to complain several times as ther room was overpowered with damp the smell was unreal!! And probably could have damaged there health sleeping in it very glad to be home would never go back or recommend this place absolutely disgusting excuse of a hotel!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
12  Thank Gemma_louise1992
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Just back from the Sun and Sky - absolutely loved it! We had a really great, relaxing time.

Yes, the bedrooms are pretty basic and the bathrooms are dated, and the hotel itself looks a little "tired" in some places, but that didn't bother us at all. Shower was decent - good water pressure. Housekeeping excellent - sheets and towels changed regularly. Lovely big balcony - plenty of space to dry towels and clothes etc. Nice view over the gardens. The bedrooms are big and there's plenty of storage space..shame that all of the rooms seem to be twin rooms, so we didn't have a double bed, just 2 single beds pushed together, but that's a minor point! The beds are comfortable though. Fridge was useful.

The air con would have cost us an extra 6 euros per day because it was May, but we found that we didn't need it anyway. Weather was fantastic and very warm, but there was enough of a breeze and May is a great time to go because it is not stiflingly hot and pushing 40 degrees! So the air con wasn't necessary for us.

The pool area is absolutely lovely and there are plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas. The pool is really clean, and the gardens are pretty and really well-maintained. Great tennis court too!

I really enjoyed the food in the hotel, as I like buffets and being able to try a bit of everything. There was always plenty of variety and when dishes ran out, the staff were very quick to replace them. They were also fast at clearing the tables. I think my boyfriend found the food a bit more hit and miss than I did, but agreed that in terms of value for money, it couldn't be beaten. I think we would have liked some more Greek dishes though! We love Greek food and are always keen to sample the local cuisine! But the hotel has to cater for so many different nationalities, as well as kids etc, that it must be tricky - generally I thought that the menu was very well thought out and attempted to cater for everyone. There are themed nights a couple of nights per week, including a BBQ! My boyfriend was particularly impressed with the dishes on the Mexican themed night! For the money you pay and the fact that you can help yourself to as much food and as many drinks as you like, I just cannot understand people complaining about it.

The local beer is nice and the cocktails are great too - very strong!! Soft drinks not great...tasted very cheap and sugary, but again, a very minor point! Drinks are served in plastic cups, which was not an issue for us, and it's also understandable to serve them like this when you are sitting around a pool.

Antonio's pizza place across the road from the hotel is absolutely fantastic if you find that you fancy a meal out - delicious, authentic and reasonably priced. Mike's bar next to it has a good atmosphere, good drinks and it stays open REALLY late. There are lots of restaurants and bars in the area, and the small supermarkets and souvenir shops are good too.

The hotel had a very pleasant atmosphere when we were staying there - guests were mostly Russians, English and Germans. The entertainment nights, which are held 3 times a week include Greek dancing, live music, karaoke etc.

We would highly recommend a visit to Lindos - it's simply stunning - and we had the most amazing meal there at Cyprus Tavern Timi's Place - there's a fantastic view from the rooftop restaurant, the food is fresh and tasty and the service is friendly. Lindos is an extremely busy place - coachloads and coachloads of people, but well worth visiting - it is so ancient and picturesque. Great beach too.

Rhodes Old Town is also beautiful, with lots to see. It's quaint and pretty and a very relaxing to walk around. Lots of shops too, so ideal for souvenir hunting! The Water Park at Faliraki, the largest in Europe, is supposed to be fantastic but at 22 euros each, we thought that was quite pricey, so we didn't go this time, but will definitely be on the list of things to do for next time! We were also planning to visit the Valley of the Butterflies, but heard that the end of August/September is probably the best time to go, because the butterflies apparently only start coming out of their cocoons in June/July.

Rhodes island caters extremely well to tourists and we found the bus service to be very good. The hotel is ideally located for exploring the area. It might be a bit too quiet for some people, but it was wonderful for us. The bus stops to Rhodes Town, Faliraki and Lindos are near the hotel. A taxi to Rhodes Town costs around 9 euros, as the hotel is around 4 miles from Rhodes Town but it's worth haggling!

I would highly recommend Kalithea Sun & Sky as it's the best value for money holiday we've ever had and the staff really go out of their way to make you feel welcome. They are hard-working, friendly, efficient, attentive and helpful and there is a cheerful laidback feel to the hotel which I really liked. For what we paid, it was of an excellent standard - I would definitely go back!

2  Thank LMW2112
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I found the reviews on here very useful when booking this hotel so I thought it wouldn't hurt to write one of my own.

We visited this hotel on 25th May 2013 and Returned on 1st June 2013!

On arrival at the hotel I felt a little underwhelmed by the decor. Some parts (e.g tiles on the floor) are in desperate need of an upgrade, Please don't let this put you off, the hotel in itself is so smooth running and friendly that I really have very little complaint. My husband and I arrived at approx 3.30pm and after travelling all day were starving. We went to the snack bar only to be a little disappointed by the lack of snacks actually available. We were all inclusive guests so were expecting a little more variety other than a plate of biscuits (although they were cooked within the hotel, and tasted delicious)!! The drinks available were pretty good (Water/Orange juice/ Apple juice/ Diet Coke/Coke/Lemonade/Lemon and Limeade or Beer) and as they were from a drinks dispenser they were always cold (which in the temperatures we were experiencing was perfect).

The pool area was always clean and was a good size for a nice cooling Swim.. (A little shallow pool was next to the big one which children {from other families - we have no children} seemed to enjoy thoroughly). Slightly disappointingly the poolside toilets were in a bad state of repair. Another part that could do with an update. To be honest though I only used the public loo when desperate, so it wasn't a huge problem. You could see that the staff constantly cleaned them, but with the state that they are in, it never looked clean. The music at the poolside was often quite loud, so we found ourselves perching on sunbeds at the other side of the pool (away from the loud music) and this was much more preferable.

The bedrooms were always clean, with plenty of storage space for luggage. Bedding (and towels) were changed 3 times within the week, but every day the cleaners came in and made the beds (I think they cleaned the bath and sinks too). The beds were a little hard, but that's all down to personal preference as to whether or not you would like that. We feel the hotel could have provided extra pillows as we only had 1 each. My husband and I ended up rolling up the extra blankets provided and popping those underneath, which did just the trick :) My husband's pillow (NOT the pillow case) was quite grimy underneath but the pillow smelt clean.... Perhaps just a stain? The pillow had a pillowcase over it so we felt no need to ask to change it.

The bathroom was very dark (Black tiles covered the walls floor and ceiling) but with a large mirror on the dressing table in the bedroom, it wasn't too much of a problem. The shower was just a bath shower, but after removing the kink from the hose we found the pressure was just fine. (only one day did we have a problem with trickling water, but we think that everyone must have been showering at the same time). The water temperature was often hit and miss. Some days it was freezing cold and others perfectly warm (not hot... who would want a hot shower on sunburn? not me)!!

Meal times were amazing. The staff were friendly and efficient. There was always enough food to go round, and every table was cleared away quickly. The staff were always wiping tables down so we feel it was all very clean. No complaints about main meals at all. The variety was brilliant. Something for everyone. :)

Air-Con and Wi-fi are extra charges within this hotel and is not included for All inclusive guests. However we never felt the need for Air-Con. We didn't spend too much time in our room, and when we did we had the balcony door open which was sufficient. There is an Internet area that you can pay to use, but again we never felt the need to use the internet (We have internet on our mobile phones).

There are 2 x pool tables, a ping pong table, a few arcade machines and an air hockey machine. They all require (except ping pong) a few Euros to play but they certainly kept us entertained :-) The ba,r which is near by, provided a few good cocktails and drinks. (They open at 5.30 once the snack bar has closed). The inclusive guests are welcome to drink to 11.00pm however 'Happy Hour (50% off cocktails)' is from 11.30 to 12.30am (So i assume if you pay for those cocktails you can carry on drinking). A few themed nights were held although we didn't attend them, so can't actually review the acts themselves. (Mon - Greek Dancing. Wed - Karaoke and Fri- a Live Band). They were very loud (My husband and I had to sleep with the balcony door open at night due to the heat, but found this tricky with the noise from these themed nights.. which we think were held in the garden area). Although we would have liked it to be a little less noisy we do not begrudge anyone for putting on these nights as I am sure they were great fun for those who attended.

We had a wonderful stay in the hotel and have come home feeling very relaxed. Apart from the few little things I mentioned above EVERYTHING else was fantastic. I would highly recommend coming here if you are after an english (as a second language) speaking hotel that you can either stay by the pool and relax Or head out and just use it as somewhere to sleep.

1  Thank Steph R
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is not the MARQUISE ok? But good value and fun

My wife & I visited in may/June this year. Our unbiased opinion is:

GOOD:

- staff in all areas very friendly
- food ok but guys you cannot put strawberries in a fridge ok?
- evening entertainment was every other night thank god but very good
- no animateurs trying to get you you to do underwater archery or synchronised hairdressing
- really cheap car hire
- no rush on beds at pool- and yes there were Germans staying
- good mix of nationalities and ALL ages
BAD
Errrr why no coffee / tea at lunch/dinner?
Studio flats are hostel standard- just refuse if offered- they would not qualify for hi de hi- truly awful
Intermittently no hot water-hello?
Garden paths are overgrown and give bad impression- dig up and invest in a bit of paint
Snacks are really bad-does anyone really need cake and cured ham at 11am? Yuk!
Air conditioning is 6 euros a day if you want it before July- the upside is unless you are obscenely rich you lose 5 kilos a day
Beach nearby that is close charges a lot for beds- doesn't belong to the hotel
No shops near by except a cocktail bar and a pretty good supermarket

We recommend Tsambika Beach, Niraeus Seafood in 45-47 old town

2  Thank bazzerino
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Having just returned from 2 weeks in this Hotel i would like to say the staff are excellent, especially reception who were most helpful finding us a hairdresser at short notice for a family wedding we were attending( having been let down at 8. 30 the night before with the one we had booked 1 week before) the barstaff were superb , gave 1st class attention to all and created a great atmosphere ( heres to you Mike & Damian) . House keeping was really good ,the rooms were cleaned every day could not fault the cleanliness . The biggest let down to the Hotel was th food , very little chice of main meal, 3 maybe 4 choices which were always cold and in short supply-- often ran out to be replaced by snack items such as beefburgers or fishfingers!!!!!!!!
Have to say the salad bar was always plentiful though. Sweets left a lot to be desired jelly & ice-cream, blancmange , sliced fresh fruit ie apple orange or pineapple. On the whole we found it very repetative.We did enjoy our holiday , but unfortunatley we would not return to this Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family