“Where to begin.....”

Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Kallithea
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Where to begin.....”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I pride myself on being honest in my reviews so here goes. We went for 2 weeks in May 2013 for my daughters wedding at nearby Kalithea Spa which by the way is beautiful.
We wouldn't have chosen this hotel as it is very big and we prefer a smaller more intimate setting but as we were travelling for "purpose" with others we went.
Positives first-you will not meet better staff anywhere-without exception they were helpful, polite, friendly and knowledgeable-an asset to the company.
The food was outstanding -considering the size of the place the choice was very extensive and again the staff were brilliant-the only downside on the food was the way that some guests treated the facilities-dissrespectful,demanding, greedy and I have got to say this tended to be "nationality specific".
The rooms were spotlessly clean albeit basic and we were in a family room that needed updating -I think the word functional best fits
The all inclusive was fine and kept me and mine satisfied with constant drinks, ice creams etc so no complaints there.
The day entertainment was ok but I do question the need to have every activity accompanied by very loud music-no need!
The evening entertainment......hmmmm! Dancers were exceptional-Of the 3 singers Anna was very good-tall bloke was ok but the 3rd was a bit like Frankie Valli on speed.
The evening entertainment was varied and overall quite entertaining although not necessarilly in the way intended- (Michael Jackson meets Frankie Valli doing Thriller). I also know that they have a new entertainments manager-Indy-who seems to be shaking things up so fair play to her.
The DJ though was quite simply the worst DJ I have ever come across-only understood English when it suited him and insisted on playing Eurotrash 140 beats per minute remixes constantly-He is a definite weak spot.
Would I go again? To the island, its scenery and its people-Yes...To this hotel-If only for the staff and the food -Yes

Room Tip: Ask for the refurbished wing
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
LOUIS_HOTELS, General Manager at Amada Colossos Resort, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for visiting us at the Louis Colossos Beach.

We are happy that you enjoyed the beautiful sight of Kallithea and its surroundings. We are also thrilled to hear your praise of our staff and that you found them to be helpful, polite, friendly and knowledgeable. Also, we are very glad that you found our quality and selection of food, and the cleanliness of our rooms to be of great satisfaction. Furthermore, we are also delighted that you were entertained by our animation team and enjoyed the variation of their activities.

We would herewith like to thank you for your feedback concerning our rooms and evening entertainment. We regret to hear that you felt some discomfort due to the nationality of our clientele especially during meal times. Your suggestion regarding the music that accompanies the entertainment and the transition in variation of acts will be taken into consideration for our future improvement. Moreover, we appreciate your remarks regarding the DJ and will inform him accordingly.

Thank you again for your lovely review especially regarding our members of staff and it would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you as a guest once more to the Louis Colossos Beach.

Yours sincerely,

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Just come back from a 2 week stay at the louis colossos with 26 family members, the majority if whom stayed at the louis colossos for my wedding!

Firstly the positives of the hotel:

- the staff- I cannot praise them highly enough. Elena on reception is a godsend and nothing is too much trouble. The bar staff are marvellous professional and very patient with some rude customers.
- the cleanliness- the rooms were cleaned, bedding changed without fail everyday.
- the choice of food was very good, one of the better all inclusive a I have experienced.
- the location is great, buses outside to Rhodes town, lindos, faliraki etc. a taxi tank is immediately opposite and with fixed prices for the island you cannot be ripped off.
-access to the beach is great, although I disagree with paying for sun loungers on the hotel's own beach.
- the entertainment staff, particularly the dancers work hard to put on a good show every night and the kids loved it.

Now for the negatives:

- the family rooms are extremely shabby. A double bed with 2 singles either side, no storage space, a bathroom that is old and probably was fitted in the 1970s. To say it needs a refurb was an understatement. I would be embarrassed to put customers in a room like this.
- the lifts are awful, slow, sometimes waiting 15 minutes to get downstairs. As I had a child in a buggy I could not take the stairs.
- health and safety was extremely questionable. Each night the children have a minidisco on the stage outside, there is not a fence/ barrier of any kind around it. It gets extremely crowded. My daughter and other young children were knocked off the stage, with one boy suffering bruising to his face. My mother in law raised this with the manager mr George who assured us he would 'sort it' but nothing was done. Teenagers were climbing over the barrier on the first floor bar, children climbing up the lighting stands on the stage, nothing was done by the management. Yes parents should watch their children but steps should be taken by the hotel and these were not evident.
- the DJ is terrible! We visited the club on a number of occasions. His knowledge of non-Russian dance music is appalling. This can get quite frustrating!!
- finally, and I hope this doesn't sound too bad, but the hotel is full I mean full of Russian people. This in itself is not a problem and we had some great chats with other Russian guests, but generally the rudeness of the vast numbers became quite wearing at the end of the fortnight! This is a view shared by many of the staff and guests of other nationalities. We were in an extreme minority, and I got the sense that the louis colossos is becoming a Russian hotel.

To conclude, a good family hotel, we had a good holiday. But the above points would prevent me from returning.

• Stayed May 2013
LOUIS_HOTELS, General Manager at Amada Colossos Resort, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience about the Louis Colossos Beach with the online community.

We are delighted that you found our staff very helpful, attentive and friendly and that you note the cleanliness of our property; moreover it is a pleasure that our rich selection of delicious food was proof of the worthiness of our All Inclusive package. We are also happy that our animation team impressed you with their talents and energy. We are sorry to hear that you felt some discomfort because of our lifts and the nationality of our clientele. Your suggestions about the rooms and mini disco will be taken into consideration for our improvement in the future, and regarding the DJ we will inform him immediately abut your remark. Finally regarding your safety concerns, we have indeed taking your comment seriously and we are discussing it internally as we speak.

It is a pity that you do not want to return to the Louis Colossos Beach. Louis Hotels has several other family resorts in Crete, Zakynthos, Corfu and Cyprus, so we would really appreciate another chance to impress you with our hospitality. Judging from your comments, you would be far happier in one of our Premium Collection properties.

Best regards,

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Booked this holiday 3 days before departure, at full price. We were limited in what we could choose and would not have picked this hotel given a better choice at the same price, its just too big and I found it quite impersonal. That said, the food was really good and if you complain about it you must be a very fussy eater. Infact, this was our 5th All Inclusive holiday and I think the food at this hotel had the best choice and variety of food. I have read some of the reviews on here and in general I would say:
Good Points
food: very good, hot and lots of variety
drinks: good variety, they didn't taste like they had been watered down. Self dispensing of soft drinks throughout the day. Alcoholic drinks on tap at meal times but from behind the bars at others. Personally I like to have my drinks served to me with my evening meal
Communal areas very well cleaned and maintained, this hotel had the cleanest pool side toilets I have ever known
Beds were comfortable
Staff friendly and helpful but lacked the personal touch, other reviews have mentioned George the manager but even though we saw a managerial presence no one introduced themselves to us, which I wouldn't expect.
We had a night flight and a room was made available for us to use to shower and change in which was much better than making do with the pool side showers or pay extra to have your room for longer.
Lots of activities during the day if you enjoy that sort of thing, average entertainment in the evening but all credit to the animation team they work hard from early in the morning through to the shows in the evening. The dancers were good and some of the costumes looked really good.
Pool area and grounds well attended too, lovely flowers in the beds.
Not so good things:
Rooms: Clean but basic and a bit tatty around the edges (scratches on our room door had been painted over with a different colour paint to the door, the sealant around the bath not complete, the bathroom mirror was a bit tatty and dated...silly little things but I feel this is what should make the difference between 3* and 4*)
Tatty looking carpets in the corridors, carpets are a great idea because they reduce the sound but they are tired, stained and fraying and I think Louis Hotels need to look at this.
The driveway into the hotel does not look the best especially when compared to the 4* and 5* hotels up the road. Old dated tennis courts and a run down mini golf course did not do the entrance to the hotel any favours.
We were told the beach was sand and shingle but it is actually quite rocky too...granted not the Hotels fault but should be mentioned in the holiday brochures.
Bad things:
Its an all inclusive hotel and you had to pay for sunbeds on the beach which is directly in front of the hotel (infact the guy who was collecting the money works for the hotel). The week we stayed there were rarely free beds around the pool in the morning, generally because of those people who like to bags sunbeds and put towels on them, only not to use them for the majority of the day (why hotels let people do this is beyond me but it happens every where) I have a skin condition and have to be in the shade so had no choice but to pay for the sunbeds which was 9 euros a day (3 euros a bed).
The lifts were very small and slow they really do need attention, we had to use the stairs on a few occasion but luckily were only on floor 4 wouldn't have been happy if we were on floor 7

In summary, good hotel but not a 4* in my opinion.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor at the end of the building (rm 404) unfortunately it was very windy for a f...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice now, the last time was September 2012, it is very well run ,spotlessly clean , it is about 1km from Faliraki about half an hour steady stroll either along the road or the beach,there is a small shopping centre with a few bars if you fancy a stroll after dinner about 10minutes walk,the food is excellent,one rule is that no shorts are allowed in the dining room in the evening ,although sadly this is not adhered to, but well worth a visit

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chaps22
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed in the Colossos Beach for 1 week 11-18th may 2013.Arrived just before midnight,to get to the bar before the all inclusive finished.Drinks can be bought after this time.Our room 248 had a magnificent view overlooking the pools and the sea.The rooms are clean but basic with tv, fridge ,hairdrier and soap dispenser in the bathroom.We were a party of 4,the other two party members in room 246 next door.They also had a shower gel dispenser in their bathroom.there was one originally in our shower but looked like it had fallen off and was no longer there.The rooms are cleaned every day,with clean towels,although some of the towels looked very thin and frayed.The rooms themselves,although clean and comfy for the amount of time we spent in them,could do with a refurb and the curtains were frayed and stained.
The corridors are carpeted which keeps the noise down,but again they looked dirty and worn
There are 2 pools and a baby pool,plenty of sun loungers,but remember to take your own pool towels as these are not provided.The beach is very stony and the sun loungers on the beach have to be paid for.There is entertainment if you want to join in with the animation team,and every night there is something different on too.
The food is excellent,day and night.You wont go hungry any time of the day,there is always something available.Lunch times there is either a barbecue or Asian food available as well as the normal buffet restaurant.Ice cream,tea,coffee,hot chocolate and cold drinks are always available too til midnight.Branded drinks can also be bought if you prefer.
Outside the hotel is a bus stop and right across the road is a taxi rank.The bus into Falaraki is 1 euro,the taxi 5 euros and into Rhodes town the taxi is 15 euros.
Across the road is the waterpark and next to the waterpark there are shops and a bar/restaurant with free internet.
We enjoyed our stay at this hotel.The reception staff were very helpful and George the manager was always around and about taking time to talk to everyone.The only thing that really spoiled it was too many Russians who are so rude and arrogant who push their way in at any time.This was our first time in a Louis hotel and to Rhodes.I don,t think we will go back to Rhodes,we like to travel around,but we would be happy to try another Louis hotel at any destination.

Room Tip: for a fantastic view ask for a sea view room
5 Thank maryann e
LOUIS_HOTELS, General Manager at Amada Colossos Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear guest,

We want to express our gratitude for your valuable feedback about your recent stay at the Louis Colossos Beach.

We are glad that our rooms suited your needs, and you note their cleanliness; moreover we are happy that our varied buffet satisfied your appetite throughout the day. It is a joy to hear that our staff were friendly and helpful, and that you enjoyed our evening shows by our animation team. All your suggestions regarding our hotel maintenance will be taken into consideration for our future improvement.

We are happy that you had a wonderful stay at the Louis Colossos Beach, and that you would choose another Louis hotel for your next holiday. Louis Hotels manages several hotels in Corfu, Zakynthos, Crete and Mykonos as well as in Cyprus, so we will be looking forward to welcome you again to one of our Louis Hotels.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 May 2013

Booked a week here after recommendation from a friend and was not disappointed. Great relaxing week, friendly staff, especially in the reception, bars and dining rooms and George, the hotel manager, walks the grounds and dining rooms every day talking to guests and asking how their stay is going. The barbecue and Chinese buffet were both excellent, although there was little too much reliance on pasta and bolognese sauce on the evening menu! Not too bothered about the star rating argument, although some English guests were less than happy with the 4star rating! Great views from the balcony overlooking the beach and overall a lovely place to visit. Rhodes old town and Lindos are beautiful places to visit but beware of the scratch card con trick near the taxi rank in Rhodes and the high pressure sales pitches if you do the organised trip to Mararis. Would not hesitate to stay at the Louis Colossos Beach again although might be tempted to book one of their other hotels in the med or possibly a cruise.

3 Thank Ian S
Dear guest,

Thank you for holidaying at the Louis Colossos Beach.

It is a pleasure to hear that you had a relaxing stay at our hotel thanks to our attentive staff, who took good care of you; moreover we are happy that our food satisfied your appetite, and especially tрat you enjoyed our Lunch menus at the BBQ and Chinese restaurant.

We will be glad to welcome you again at the Louis Colossos Beach or any other Louis Hotel.

Truly yours,

Larkhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I have been at this hotel in 2012 and couldn't wait to return this year.
I have just returned from two weeks in the sun (with a couple of unusual thunderstorms with amazing lightening) with my wife and we were not disappointed.
Hotel is a little tired and although very clean could do with a facelift in bedrooms with décor etc. The main public areas are ideal though and the food is good with a great range available on the all inclusive option to keep everyone happy.
The real bonus for this hotel is the quality and desire of the staff to make your stay the best possible, and all, on the face of it, operates like clock-work which is a credit to the management team - special mentions must go to 'George' the manager who is a 'one off', Irini in the poolside bar (a gem and is just amazing to chat to with her vibrant Greek personality shining at every opportunity) and of course Amalia and Tsampika on the housekeeping team.
The animations team work hard during the day and then put in sterling performances at night to entertain all ages.
This year the Hotel has a high % of Russian guests and I had the pleasure to chat to a few during my stay and met some amazing people.
Would I go back ......................... bit obvious really as I have booked for next year already!

Room Tip: A sea view room here really is worth it with the amazing views and sun rises.
2 Thank Brian S
Dear guest,

Let us thank you for choosing the Louis Colossos Beach again for another visit to Rhodes

We are thrilled to hear that quality and great range of food available on All Inclusive basis catered for your taste; moreover we are delighted that you praised our staff and their attentive service. It is a delight that our entertainment program was to your liking, and you enjoyed our animation team's evening performances.

We look forward to seeing you again at the Louis Colossos Beach next year.

Best regards,

The Management.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kallithea
Elysium Resort & Spa
#8 of 71 in Faliraki
Atrium Platinum Hotel
Atrium Platinum Hotel
#5 of 127 in Rhodes Town

Been to Amada Colossos Resort? Share your experiences!