“20 nights, no reason to move on”
Review of Hotel Brasilito

Hotel Brasilito
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Brasilito
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I'm just back from a 20 night stay at Hotel Brasilito. I originally planned to stay 10 days and move on but the location along with people encouraged me to stay on.
I said to myself " when the day comes I discover nothing completely new I will move on." It never happened.
The rooms are basic. In typical Tico style the are no bathtubs, just over sized showers. This hotel though did have proper hot water - bonus for a budget hotel in Costa Rica. The beds were very comfy and I had plenty of room in the armoire for everything I brought.
There is a quiet back patio & picnic area and the best people watching patio in Brasilito out front facing the ocean. zazou2ur says its a very small beach which tells me they never moved off of the patio, Brazilito Beach stretches for 3 km, and the adjoining Playa Conchal (considered by many as the best Beach in Costa Rica) stretches another 3 km. Folks at the Best Western on Conchal are paying $350 US + for access to the very same beach.
Between the location, the food, the staff and the price I would highly recommend Hotel Brasilito. But, if you are expecting your typical American Holiday Inn, I would not bother. There are plenty of lovely beaches in the US for that.
The one drawback are the chickens next door. The roosters seem like they are up all night, so if you are a very light sleeper, bring earplugs. I got used to them after a few days.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank TravelinTerry11-11

Reviewed 12 January 2012

Probably the best place to stay in Brasilito, but that isn't saying much. Whilst it's lively in the evening and a short walk from Playa Brasilito, the hotel is nothing like the website makes it out to be. Right next to the dreadful and noisy Indira bar, the whole place is best avoided.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My friend and I spent Dec 31 to January 4 in Brailito, and stayed at this hotel. We had a great time - everyone there was incredibly friendly and helpful, the food at the restaurant was great, our room was clean and comfortable. I would definitely go back and stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
shelleyanne, Owner at Hotel Brasilito, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Hi Anya,

Glad you had a good time at Hotel Brasilito! Thanks for writing us such a nice review!

Shelley

Reviewed 2 January 2012

The hotel is very close to the beach, however, the beach is very small and cannot be seen from the hotel rooms, except if you manage to get one of the two rooms above the reception. The hotel has a nice restaurant and there a couple of "comida tipica" restaurants close by.
Our room was tiny and very basic. The shower curtain in the bathroom was covered with mold... We could barely sleep at night because the hotel is surrounded by the neighbors' roosters who started their serenade at 1.30am and continued till 6am with short intervals. Exhausted, we checked out at 7am.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zazou2ur
Reviewed 31 December 2011

The location is amazing. The food at the restaurant is good even if I found a hair among my rice, it happens... The employees were polite, the room was very small, when you open the door, you are right in it. But never mind we intended to spend the day outside. The bathroom cannot be more basic, no shelf to put our bathroom stuff, small mirror, no shampoo or anything a part of 3 mini soaps but it's ok, we brought our personnal items and put them on the floor. One of the tap was broken but no problem, one is enough even if it' surrounded by rust. The problem is that the reason why we go to a hotel WAS actually a big issue.
1-the bed: any hotel has to provide a minimum of confort when we talk about bedding. So when you feel the springs, you can't take the rest you need to start your next day. I weight less then 112 lbs so if I can feel the springs it's not because I'm heavy. I asked the cleaning lady and she said all the beds are the same.
2- a MOUSE! (yes, a mouse) isn't exactly the kind of visitor you expect during the night. I'm not capable to comment more on this point, it's too disgusting for me, it was a long long night. We know how it could be hard to run a business and that sometimes you do your best but things happen. So we decided to alert the owner when we went to the front desk to pay and check out. We talked discreetly to avoid to be heard by the persons who were eating near us in the restauran . She rapidely answered " we don't have those kind of things here!" so  my husband explained that he spent the night chasing the mouse with a flashligt and she continued in her dening with a closed face: no, no, we don't have that here! She wasn't listening to us busy counting our money. We are happy travellers and we like to share our positive experiences. When something bad happens, we move forwards, but in this case, we were expecting kind of empathy, an apology, a human or a professional reaction like" I'm sorry, we will immediately take care of this problem " or "thank you for alerting me, I hope at least that you enjoyed you stay with us" but nothing came. She took our money, gave us our change and said : this is because custumers bring food inside the room... Wow! Now it's the clients fault! We left this place asking ourselfs why it's hard for some people just to face a probleme and react profesionnaly. When you run a business, you have to face every issue and fix it, and above all, your client satisfaction should be your priority. We don't blame anybody for the mouse but for the wrong reaction.
I'm just happy it was our second and last night, so we left with a nice souvenir of the village and the vibe of the place. But considering all that, I had to report this issue and cannot fairly recommend this place.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor. There is an external corridor to access the rooms. When someone walks...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Minamtl
shelleyanne, Owner at Hotel Brasilito, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

I'm sorry that my manager did not handle your complaint at all well. I wish I had been here to talk to you when you were checking out. I run the restaurant and am generally here afternoons and nights. I hope that overall your trip to Costa Rica was pleasant and fun.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

We arrived in Playa Brasilito not knowing what to expect, it's beautiful there. The Hotel Brasilito is right on an area of the beach that has a wicked view of the sunset. All the staff at the hotel and the attached restaurant were SO nice and helpful. Our room had a queen size bed, a/c and hot water shower for $40. Totally worth it for the water pressure and being able to swim in the ocean all day and take a warm shower at night to get the salt water off you. The room felt clean, fresh and safe. The restaurant has a big patio area on the beach side that has hammocks perfect for drinking lazy beers and watching people cruise by coming from Playa Conchal, the dinner we ordered in the restaurant was delicious and reasonably priced for what it was. There is also a great restaurant right behind the hotel that serves Tico style breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Hotel Brasilito is across the road from the beach, however the restaurant blocks the view (except for the 2 rooms above the office, which were not available). It was a ghost town at the end of the dry season, and even the locals complained of the heat. We walked to Playa Conchal for swimming, because nobody swims on Brasilito, but by the time we'd get back to the hotel, we were overheated again. The room was ok but a bit grim, so we moved to Hotel Conchal, which was far from the beach but had nicer rooms, a lovely pool & lots of other spaces for relaxing. I didn't think that I'd need a pool being right on the beach, but in the end, it was just too hot.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brasilito
Conchal Hotel
#3 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
Sugar Beach Hotel
Sugar Beach Hotel
#2 of 5 in Playa Potrero

Been to Hotel Brasilito? Share your experiences!