“Pleasant Surprise”
Review of Hotel Brasilito

Hotel Brasilito
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Brasilito
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Located on the upper west coast this is a no frills hotel, although you do get complimentary wi-fi.
Just a few feet from the beach. Glorious Pacific sunsets and the sights and sounds of the ocean awaits you. Nice clean very affordable room. Basic amenities with a restaurant and bar. Food was satisfactory. I would stay there again for 65.00 per night...Lowest priced hotel we stayed in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Ocean View Room
3  Thank chowjudge

Reviewed 30 March 2013

I enjoyed my first stay and it was the same, very nice and enjoyable. Yes it is a little bit noisy but this is the life in a village where people are happy. The staff is very nice and that place is so well situated. The food at the restaurant was much better this year....and if I have the chance to return, I will go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: You do not need a room facing the sea, the garden is more relax.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MireilleFlorian
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The room was basic but spotless. The room very affordable. The location is right on the beach. If any complaint it's noisy between dogs, roosters and howler monkeys.
Beautiful beach with lots of nice restaurants close.

1  Thank bobbryant
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My GF and I stayed here two nights in March 2013. We booked the A/C with Ocean View room, but were kind of disappointed when we were put in room 'C' which was on the ground level, with the staircase right in front of the window, partially blocking the 'Ocean View'. We also had to keep the drapes closed as people passed by all the time and could see in the room. The hotel is also not located right on the beach as we first thought, there is a street in front of it with cars regularly parking there blocking the view, and a locals bar next door, with music until 11pm or so. The room was basic, with a musty smell and older looking drapes/bed spreads but A/C worked fine and showers were hot. There was a nice area right outside our room, with chairs/hammocks that was available to anyone, which we really enjoyed. I would suggest asking for one of the two ocean view rooms on the second level, as these have the semi private area with chairs and hammocks and has a nice ocean view which we originally were expecting. A/C is necessary, but ocean view is not really worth any extra as there is the nice sitting area available out front. The restaurant was good and we enjoyed our meals there, reasonable prices. The service could be better, and the servers didn't seem overly enthused with providing great service. I had to go to the bar to get my own drinks most of the time, or when asked the servers forgot my drink altogether, and waiters only came by once in awhile in the lounge area. I didn't mind it that much, but I think the priority of those in the hospitality business should be to ensure guests are tended to, afterall I was paying for the drinks and probably would have bought more had they came by more often! Brasilto is a small town, not much to it. Nice, quiet beach, and a short walk to Playa Conchal. Conchal is a public beach fronting the Westin hotel. The beach is nice, with more going on than Playa Brasilito. Swimming, Jet Ski and Boat rentals, massages and vendors are along here. Hotel Brasilito is fairly quiet, aside from the rooster that woke us up each morning before daylight! Also, one night while we were lying in bed, we heard shouting outside and a fight had broken out among the drunk young local guys at the bar. It wasn't anything major and quickly disbursed. We also went to the Happy Snapper for dinner one night which was ok. If you want to check out Playa Brasilito and Playa Conchal, this is probably the best budget option available. We were happy overall with our stay and had no problems. Good value for the money, but I think our expectations were a little too high for this place.

Room Tip: If choosing one of the three 'Ocean View' rooms, choose one of the two on the 2nd level, as...
4  Thank globetrekker99
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Despite running the air conditioning, wearing ear plugs and usually being a very heavy sleeper, I had a very difficult time sleeping though the night at Hotel Brasilito. Dogs bark incessantly throughout the night and roosters crow. The beds (at least the one in room number two) is as hard as a park bench. Room two is on the first level and if someone is staying in the room upstairs, it sounds like they are moving furniture around. If getting a good night's sleep is a "must" for you, this hotel is not the place for you.

Ann, the proprietor, is not "warm". Efficient, pufunctory, and effective when asked a question, she will get you an answer or provide a service but it is strictly on a pull system. I can see why people think she is unfriendly or grumpy, especially in comparison to the friendly and helpful Costa Rican people. She is not originally from here, although has been in Costa Rica for 27 years, and is multi-lingual. We had a pleasant and friendly conversation at check out. She seemed more content than I had seen her the whole week.

Hotel Brasilito was not my first choice in Brasilito but the nearby Hotel Conchal did not answer my repeated email inquiries about availability. The location of Hotel Brasilito couldn't be better for beach access, which is right across the street. The open air restaurant and patio, with a couple of hammocks and chairs, are a nice place to sit and watch the coming and going of horseback riders, ATVs, and the  setting sun. The food is pretty good too. It's location on this main drag means that, mostly in the late afternoon and early evening, there is a cacophony of music, birds, wind, roosters, dogs, and traffic that can be irritating to someone sensitive to noise.

Although the water is blazing hot in the shower, the unadjustable shower head is at a funky angle. The bathroom sink isn't even plumbed for hot water. The room is extremely basic: bare walls, two beds (one single, one double), a small desk and chair and an old armoire. The a/c works well and is quiet.

I wouldn't stay at Hotel Brasilito again. The noise and the rock hard bed made for the worst night's sleep I have had my entire life.

Room Tip: Request a room upstairs and away from the road.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AnnArborPam
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I was amazed by all the high end hotels in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. But we chose to stay at Hotel Brasilito because of the price and we did not go wrong. It was clean, not the best food, but ok and there are cheap restaurants around the corner. Also it is 5 minutes walking distance from the best beach in all of Costa Rica, Playa Conchal. If you are not looking for the royal treatment and want to stay in a clean, safe and good natured hotel I would strongly recommend Hotel Brasilito.

Room Tip: I would book directly on their site if possible about $15 cheaper than a travel site.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank happyfamily663
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Spent a few nights here with a friend and found it to be very clean and comfortable. The breakfast had ice cold affordable beer and great food. Right on the beach and lots of locals. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brasilito
Conchal Hotel
Guanacaste Lodge
Guanacaste Lodge
#3 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Brasilito? Share your experiences!