“A perfect hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Brasilito
San Jose, Costa Rica
“A perfect hotel”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Conchal Hotel is really wonderful. The owners, Simon and Hilda are so kind and sweet and the service is great! It is a small hotel so you'll soon feel at home. The rooms are well isolated from noise outside and the beds are really comfortable. You can enjoy their superb restaurant, swim in the pool, take a three minutes walk to the beautiful beaches (Playa Brasilito and Playa Conchal) or visit the small town. This place is perfect for friends, couples as well as families.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sara B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 July 2014

A real gem in the Brasilito area. Rooms were immaculate and beautifully put together. The design of hotel property is lovely. Very close to the gorgeous playa Conchal. Must eat at their restaurant, especially for variety compared to local restaurants. Monkeys dangling from trees the last day we were there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2PurpleOrchid
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Simon and Hilda were the greatest hosts and owners of this lovely property. The gorgeous beach of Playa Conchal is so convenient to the hotel, and the town on Brasilito, where their hotel is located is laid back and quaint. They have a wonderful pool and restaurant on site which makes it so easy to fully enjoy the wonderful charm and warmth of the Conchal Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hlew123
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Hospitality at this hotel began for me when Simon emailed me, six months before my trip, to suggest that maybe, just maybe, planning to see every attraction in Costa Rica on one vacation is not a good idea. And it ended with Hilda packing up my breakfast and seeing me off on my transfer out. Wow!

I really enjoyed my stay here. It was the perfect spot for me to rest up after Type-A-ing around Costa Rica. Some details:
- Lovely rooms that open outside (yes, into the tropics) with private verandahs next to the poolside garden or overlooking the pool.
- The hotel houses the best restaurant in the area, so you don't have to leave the property for anything. I found myself practically crawling from bed to restaurant to pool and back.
- Location is in a real, non-touristic town complete with residential neighbourhood (where I actually saw a deer and a chicken eating out of the same trough), school, and a block long downtown.
- The entire premises are beautiful, well-maintained, spotless, and scream tropical oasis.
- Even though I don't speak Spanish (owners are bilingual), the staff extended much Costa Rican to warmth to me across the language barrier.
- I'll review the restaurant on it's own page (Papaya's) but here I must comment about etched memories of fresh guacamole and chips, poolside.
- There are two beaches nearby to choose from, each with its unique beauty: Playa Conchal, the famous one because crushed shells comprise it; Playa Brasilito which is a longer, almost ethereal stretch of brown sand.

One note: Brasilito is a bit off the beaten track, so if you're not driving, best to sort out your money before coming in. Nearby ATM's (even as far away as Flamingo) were inconsistent about accepting my cards and the closest one may run out of money on the weekend. There is wifi but no internet cafes in the area.

In all though, it took me about five minutes to get that this hotel is all about atmosphere -- created and tirelessly maintained (though seemingly without effort) by the owners, who just stand back and set you free in it. It's easy after meeting them to see that it is a reflection of their energy. I have to say that they achieve possibly the best balance I've seen as hoteliers between letting you feel pampered and giving you your space. I always felt that "my" vacation was a sacred space to them. Which is exceptional.

I was very happy with my choice of this hotel, even before I walked by (yahoo-ing) pools of the larger ones in the area. And if I'm ever again up for flying all day and having my luggage lost by the airline...it'll be to chill out right here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank shnti
Nantes, France
Reviewed 28 June 2014

While in my stay there was a rat in my room, and then when i let the workers know about it they were really careless about the issue. Also the mattress my room had was thin and next morning i woke up with ants all over me and the worst backache possible. Also the staff was rude and were not helpful with any tour booking. Definitely this is not the hotel you want to go in your vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard M
Simon P, Owner at Conchal Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Simply put, this is clearly posted to the wrong hotel. I have contacted the reviewer to ask him to move to the correct location, hopefully he will do so soon. One only has to read our other reviews to see how there is no way this could have been our hotel. Our entire ethic at Conchal is to provide the very best product and service we can, as well as providing great value. We are very proud that generally, over the last 9 years, we have achieved this for our clients. We always respond swiftly to any concern, complaint or suggestion and work continuously to improve and upgrade our facilities (a small, relevant example being new high quality mattresses in all our rooms, replaced in January 2014). And we love what we do! Cheers! Hilda and Simon, Owners
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My bf and I just got back from what was my second stay at Conchal Hotel (and his first). My first stay was in 2009, and though I miss the old rancho, the new structure, the new rooms, and renovations of the old ones that have happened since are very impressive. I didn't think it was possible, but the hotel is even more comfortable now.

We stayed in one of the "honeymoon" rooms and in a superior room, and both were quite comfortable and tastefully decorated. The superior room even had an extremely comfy memory foam bed, which was not expected at all but very much welcomed. (As others have pointed out, the hotel is on the main road going through Brasilito. You will notice some muffled traffic noise mostly during the day, but by nightfall and bedtime only an occasional car goes by and is by no means an issue.)

I forgot how delicious (and artfully presented) the food at the hotel's restaurant Papaya is. In addition to the massive amounts of fresh and varied fruit and homemade granola and bread, coffee, ad juice you get with breakfast in the morning, dinner at Papaya is an absolute must. Definitely worth every penny. (And the staff whips the best mojito I've ever had!)

As most of the other reviews point out, regardless of the rooms, the prime location near stunning beaches (in addition to Playa Conchal, be sure to ask Hilda about Playa Dantita), the pool, and the food, it's really the owners Simon and Hilda and their staff who make the stay really special. Everything else is just icing on the cake. They just have a way of making you feel welcome and at home -- you really feel like the place is yours also while you're there. And, I think the hotel tends to attract particularly down-to-earth and friendly guests, so talking to other guests has always been a positive experience for me. Being gay and being there as part of a couple has never been an issue; I've always been treated with respect and acceptance.

Oh, and lastly: seriously the fastest, most reliable wifi I've ever experienced in Costa Rica.

Conchal Hotel is one of those rare places you don't find often. As the previous reviewer said, you get so much more than what is being charged, and it just feels like a special place. Thank you Hilda and Simon!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon P, Owner at Conchal Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
So great to see you back at Conchal and thank you for your kind comments - it really means everything to us that our guests have a wonderful stay at our hotel!
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 June 2014

They say you get what you pay for. We didn't know what to expect when my wife and I booked a week at Conchal Hotel because the rate seemed too goo to be true. The staff were welcoming and friendly from day one and very accommodating. So often you go on vacation and end up tired upon your return. Hilda and Simon made sure our stay was relaxing, exciting and comfortable. The room was perfect for us. Comfortable bed and air conditioned. They have cable and WiFi, but with so much to do your emails and Facebook can wait!

There was a private pool steps away from our door and the delicious menu at Papaya(on site restaurant) was amazing. Breakfast was included which was nice. If you want to enjoy all the area has to offer, don't hesitate to ask for advice or help booking. Hilda made all of our reservations for us!

Over all, we had a fantastic stay and you will too!

Room Tip: Don't leave food out. There's a fridge provided, use it!