“Tired decor but not a bad stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Plough & Horses

The Plough & Horses
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crowborough
The Plough & Horses
Ranked #5 of 10 Crowborough B&B and Inns
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Tired decor but not a bad stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Having read one of the reviews from 2013 this was my last choice place to stay in crowborough, so my expectations couldn't have been much lower. Stayed in room 7. The decor would benefit from some updating, but the room had everything you needed, room size was fine, the ensuite had a good shower and was clean and the bed was a bit creaky but I've definitely slept in worse. All in all i didn't think it was bad value for £55, given that the prices for B&B in crowborough seemed to go from £70 up to £115!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MAJS1976

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Great food and great company. Have to say that dave his wife and their staff couldn't have done anything more to make our stay a very enjoyable one. The food was of a good quality and reasonably priced. Will defiantly be staying their again if I'm bck in that area working again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank P681gok
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in 3 double bed rooms for the half term holidays with the children, we have come to the pub before because our caravan is located in Crowbrough.
We have had lovely dinner at night for good value and excellent quality.
Breakfast was lovely with a good selection and the staff were AMAZING !
We will definitely come back again for the caravan season and maybe for a sneaky night, and also the wine.

• Stayed February 2014
Crowborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We didn't stay overnight so can only comment on the bar/restaurant areas.
This public house offers B&B and is situated on the south-east edge of Crowborough town. It offers very reasonably priced food.
Its never going to rival any gourmet establishment, but it does provide basic meals and has its position in the market place for the type of clientele it attracts. The 'Ham Egg & Chips' is particularly good.
Service is genuinely very friendly, and there are two bar areas, plus a split level restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Firstly I must say I cannot fault the welcome we received. However the rooms left much to be desired. The duvets were too small meaning that you could end up being cold. The green light that comes on at night disturbs your sleep. Finally we had a serious case of mould as a result of the water from the shower leaking down onto the carpet, this caused a really nasty mould smell. I didn't complain as there were no alternative room's or anything the staff could have done. Pity as they were so friendly. The breakfast was average.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We booked a nights accommodation in this bed-and-breakfast above the pub for our time in the area attending a friend's wedding.

It was certainly the cheapest in the area and as we thought we would "only be there to sleep", it seemed a good idea.

There was ample car parking when we arrived.

It took the chap behind the bar a good five minutes to find our key for our room.

When we reached our room, we were faced with the most disgusting carpet I have ever seen, which flowed through into the bathroom and around the toilet - it was then I regretted not taking flip-flops with me for walking around whilst in the bathroom.

Fortunately, being shortsighted, I couldn't see how filthy the shower was when I was inside, but upon stepping out of the shower, I felt like my feet needed to have another wash.

We had a lot of noise from the room next to us - the walls appeared to be paperthin.

To be honest, we very nearly slept on the floor, which probably would have been cleaner and softer than the bed, and that is saying something!

When we peeled back the sheets to climb into bed that evening, not only did we find other people's pubic hair, but tiny (strange looking) bugs crawling on the pillows. Thankfully we take ear plugs away with us, so this helped not only for the noise, but to hope nothing climbed into our ears.
We had put the dirtiest looking pillows on the floor and slept on the ones that appeared the cleanest, ensuring the sheet didn't touch our faces. The bed was as hard as a slab of concrete.

When we showed up for breakfast the next day, I enquired about the gluten-free breakfast which I had discussed upon making my booking. They came out and said that they had some toast (which had obviously been toasted for some time). It was brought out and I questioned if it was done separately under the grill (as specified when I made my booking) but it had been toasted in the general toaster-thus contaminating it. I asked for a few slices to be microwaved but this wasn't possible!

My husband had a "normal" breakfast which he said was the most disappointing b&b breakfast he'd ever had. Very cheap ingredients, cooked in advance (maybe kept warm under the grill or oven as they obviously don't have a microwave!)

We had poured ourselves a glass of orange juice each but it tasted off. We got fresh glasses and opened the new carton of juice which was sat on the side. This tasted fine.
Whilst the breakfast room was being cleared up around us, we noticed our old glasses of orange juice being kept aside with other peoples that they had left. We suspected these would then be tipped back into the jug for the next morning - why else would you line up glasses of juice?!

We paid £55 for this stay.
We will never ever return there and hope no one else has the misfortune of staying there!

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank Miss_Monkey_Moo
Carnforth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Been coming here for years when visiting family. Good old fashioned pub grub at good old fashioned prices!
Refreshing alternative to the 'Gastro Pub'
Place is always clean and seems busy with locals. Good sized dining room for functions .

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bertwoodie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crowborough
The Roebuck Hotel
#4 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
The Buxted Inn Hotel
The Buxted Inn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Buxted

Been to The Plough & Horses? Share your experiences!