“Gimmicky”
Review of Harris and Hoole - CLOSED

Harris and Hoole
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Coffee ok but then being the best in Crowborough is not really saying much! Been once and that was a few months ago and haven't thought about returning so that says it all really.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Others have commented about the set-up - it really is odd and other H + Hs seem to be rational, but not this one.
The coffee jug yesterday has not been in a dish washer, nor has it been washed properly by hand. The same today. Brown gunge inside the dimple on the inside and on the inside of the handle. White china teapot likewise.
Perhaps the mothers of the staff should tell them how to wash up properly.
The soup came in a container today, with a revolting round bun out of the fridge; no bread, no choice of white or brown, yet the same price. Apparently their kitchen isn't working and it came from somewhere else, which I read is how they are going to expand their branch numbers.
The toilet is like the milk jug and average level of service - scruffy, a bit grubby and a joke considering the prices, but quite OK for a student house.
Pleased to say the staff occasionally includes the occasional enthusiastic and polite youngster; I think they know who they are.....

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I initially went to H&H approximately a month after the opening. The interior is clean and interesting but a little on the pretentious side...it feels that maybe it is trying to hard to be something its not....in London or Brighton you'd get away with it, but it just feels out of place within Crowborough. Anyway, I decided gto return to see whether they had made any changes.

The setup is, you arrive at the till, you place your order, you're given an electronic box that vibrates when your coffee is ready. When it vibrates you go up to a secondary point to collect the coffee. This seems unnecessarily confusing and overly complicated. I really don't mind waiting for my order to be made....I really don't mind having the coffee brought to me when it is ready. But to pay, sit down, get up and bring the coffee over yourself...when the whole purpose of a coffee shop is to sit down and relax with your beverage sounds weird. What does the electronic box add to the experience.....nothing.

Furthermore...and my biggest grudge was the lady serving at the counter. No smile, no thank you, no direction as to how the place works. Just a grunted "put the card in there" was uttered to me as she revealed the card machine round the side of the counter. Furthermore she asked whether I could manage carrying the 3 plates. I asked whether she had a tray. She audibly and loudly sighed at me and sarcastically replied "...I have my hands".

I must say though that when I collected the coffee, the barista was polite and helped me over with the hot chocolate.

But I must say that the hot chocolate and the coffee, although nicely presented, tasted incredibly bitter and quite foul. None of us finished the drinks.

I have half a loyalty card filled out in one trip, but it won't be used again.

You would honestly get a better tasting coffee, better price, better and a better customer service at the Morrisons Cafe. That is no slight on Morrisons....as it knows what it is....a cafe for shoppers...but H&H....specialists in coffee and the coffee shop are deluded if they belief that they currently offer the customer a decent experience.

1  Thank novis1982
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I'm more of a Costa lover but when H & H moved into Crowborough I gave it a go. The coffee taste is quite different, more liquorice than coffee but it's delicious. My friends & I feel it goes cold quite quickly so we ask for it extra hot now. The staff are very friendly and the place is a great meeting place. My only real gripe is there are way too many dogs allowed in, it's a coffee shop after all and owners should leave their pets at home! Would I go back, oh yes & I have many many times.

1  Thank KJTurner
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Great coffee, good food, brilliant service. Add those to great decor, lovely staff and it's a perfect place to go.

1  Thank Keith H