“Superb in every way”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Crowborough, England, United Kingdom
“Superb in every way”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Wonderful food, beer, service and ambiance. 11 out of 10.
The food is locally sourced and everything is cooked fresh.

• Visited August 2014

Crowborough, United Kingdom
“Really great place”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We used to visit this place a lot when it was under previous management and it used to be teaming and had some great live music. Then it went downhill very fast and we stopped going. which was a shame because its such an idyllic spot on Ashdown Forest.

Having read some of the reviews of the new venture we expected a meal that was on the expensive side but not so, My wife and I were pleasantly surprised and thought it was reasonably priced . The food was excellent and the service attentive and friendly. it was a Saturday lunch time, brilliant hot sunshine and we expected it to be crowded but we were only one of two couples in the garden,

Which is a pity because if the quality and service we witnessed are typical and we have no reason to expect otherwise then the people of Crowborough and Uckfield are missing a gem of a place to eat good food in superb surroundings..

1 Thank Keith S
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Superb service”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I took a friend to the Deerstalker, for lunch, a couple of weeks ago. I agree with a previous reviewer that it is a bit more expensive than one would expect to pay in this area but I have to say that the food was superb - and the twice-fried chips were reason enough to visit. They were fantastic. I suppose you get what you pay for.

On the day we went the service was quite slow but I suspect that there might have been staff issues on the day. We will definitely return there to eat again; those chips are beckoning me!

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice pub and service, shame about the food - and price!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We saw the pub had changed names and thought we would give it a try. We were the only diners in the pub which is never good - landlord very pleasant and friendly. Prices of main courses a couple of pounds over the average for pubs in the area. Few places charge £12.50 for a chicken burger comrising a fairly small portion of overcooked chicken, a cold bun, cold mozzarella and a bucket of chips. Linguine was very tasty but dry (no sauce at all) and needed to be warmer. Owner said it was how the Italians made it (not any Italian restaurant I know!) Great shame as the pub has potential but should concentrate on good wholesome pub food at a sensible price. We left the pub feeling we had been ripped off.

1 Thank JOHN E
DeerstalkerTN6, Owner at The Deerstalker, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
We would like to take the opportunity to respond to your feedback. We feel you comments were to the extreme. It is very frustrating when we pride ourselves on fresh food, which is more expensive to produce then frozen. To describe our summer chicken burger as simply over cooked chicken on on a cold bun is simply untrue and offensive. Our summer burger is full of freshly grated Parmesan, fresh spinach leaves char grilled chicken breast, gorgeous buffalo mozzarella and pesto oil. It is also one of our biggest sellers!
Our pasta is not some mass produce creamy dish, it is a light chilli crab dish made to order.
We have great reviews on our food, and simply because it was not to your taste does not warrant such a public review. Our beautiful family run country pub that we have worked so very hard at is,simply not for you, however we are very proud of it. For the record we are well priced for a pub that does not churn out cheap frozen food. We too do our research. We simply cannot be all things to everyone, however it seems to work for our market. We appreciate that it simply did not suit you and thank you for trying us.
Crowborough, United Kingdom
“First visit but not my last.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My partner and I were looking somewhere to go for a decent beer and some good ol' pub grub and decided to try The Deerstalker out on the basis of the reviews here and so glad we did! Really nice looking pub with chic and stylish décor - you get the feeling that it is still a work in progress though as the surroundings are a little sparse but still.... nice modern selection of beers and wines and whilst the menu was small it was perfectly formed. The food was presented exceptionally well and tasted extremely fresh, you could tell that the person in the kitchen a knew what they were doing and b cared about what they were doing. The staff were very personable (all two of the three I met!) and went out of their way to welcome us. I will most certainly be going back soon.

• Visited June 2014