eDreams
Trip.com
Vio.com
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 December 2021 via mobile

We had a wonderful time during our 2 night stay here. There are family friendly activities like horse riding, feeding deer and hikes. You could watch the sunset at the restaurant area and there is also a bar with cocktails. The service was exceptional - I have never had such attentive, kind hospitality at any place I have stayed at. They also have an organic garden.

Room tip: There are not many places to eat around the area so you would be dining in mostly.
Date of stay: November 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank sohh638
Reviewed 6 September 2020

My partner and I visited Popa Mountain Resort a few months before Covid-19. We stayed a total of 2 nights there. First of all, the food was normal. I believe there should be a hotel standard. We saw stains on the blanket and pillow too which surprises us. The windows were dirty too so I recommend the hotel to take time cleaning. The staffs were friendly. The hotel allows outsiders to come and swim for charges. When we were swimming, there was a huge local crowd which was very noisy and crowded. I wish the hotel only have pool area for the hotel guests only because we pay much more amount than the outsider who paid 5000 mmk.

Date of stay: January 2020
Reviewed 7 August 2020 via mobile

We stayed at Popa Mountain Resort for a long weekend away from Yangon. It's a stunning location with a beautiful view of the nearby pagoda. We particularly enjoyed watching the sunset and having dinner in the outdoor seating area. Note that the very scenic pool is currently closed due to COVID-19.

As with many hotels in Myanmar, there is a bit of a higher price for foreigners but it is well worth it in my view. Unlike many hotels here, paying the higher foreigner price actually gets you some special amenities. I would definitely recommend coming for a day or two to enjoy this very lovely and relaxing resort.

Date of stay: July 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ben H
Reviewed 11 July 2020 via mobile

At first we booked for 2 days to relax. In the beginning, we saw some stains on the blanket and pillow.

Hot water didn’t work, we called to come and check, they came but didn’t work at all. The weather in there is very windy and cold, hot water is important and seem like they don’t care about it.

The reason why we choose this hotel is “swimming pool”, but there are many people who come and take pictures around the pool. So, for people who really wanna swim is not OK at all in that small space. And, the water is not clear and they clean only once a day(early morning), because of the wind, it’s full of leaves. The border of the pool is also dirty. The worst is they don’t even provide the soft sheet to sit on.

The breakfast is very low standard for this price of hotel. We even needed to ask for the fruit juice. The menu is “ you can choose between toast with butter and jam or fried rice or fried noodle. And coffee.. Seasonal fruits are very cheap in Myanmar, they don’t even served this. Hotels which are much cheaper than this serve better then their breakfast.

So, we decided to stay only one night and leave. When we talked to reception, they said they don’t have enough staff to run and Yangon office doesn’t provide enough. They even said you can write something to let the head office know!

So, if you want to go to Popa, I highly recommend to avoid this hotel and find another place. In addition, this hotel is so far from everything and road is very bad to this.

The only and one good thing in this hotel is the view. But, if you want the view, you can go to the Popa View Point Forest Restaurant.

1  Thank scarlett-kkk
Reviewed 11 July 2020 via mobile

Where to start?
I guess I should start with the only good thing about this hotel: the view from the deluxe rooms and the restaurant. End of the good things.

We booked this hotel for two nights. They had a promotion: deluxe double room for 70 000 kyats (51 $) the first night, second night 50% discount.
When we checked in, we found out that the rooms were far away from what it was expected from a 4 stars hotel. Bed sheets, pillows full of stains (check the pictures). The glass door and windows dirty. We went to check the swimming pool. Dirty as you can see it on the picture. It has nothing to do with what you see on Booking.com. So the worst about that swimming pool is that anyone who comes and pays an entrance fee of 5000 kyats (around 4$) can come and take pictures around it. This makes it crowded, loud, messy, dirty and you feel you’re in a zoo. They find it normal that all locals gather in there for 4$ on the same level as the hotel guests who pay 50$. On top of everything, they clean it from leaves only in the morning before 7:00 am. The weather was bad and very windy so the leaves were falling all the time. Somebody should be checking it from time to time during the day like people do in 4 stars hotels.
To be honest, I wouldn’t have agreed to swim in there even without leaves and dust. The water was obviously dirty. There was no transparency at all.
For all these reasons, we decided to cancel our booking for the second night and left the next day.
The cherry on the cake! No hot water! We complained about it and they sent somebody to check it. They said all is done and they’ll come back to check it again 30 min later. We agreed and left the room to go and visit the surroundings. When we came back, I thought all was solved so I decided to pay for the night. Later I checked the water and it was still cold. In the morning, same thing. And believe me, it’s pretty fresh and humid in the morning.

When we checked out, we told them about it. No apologies, no discount. Nothing!
Just these words: « Please, write a review so the management can see it. It’s hard for us in this season. We don’t have enough people to check everything. » Saying that it’s ridiculous isn’t saying anything.

Now about the breakfast. Seriously, in Myanmar, you get a better breakfast in Many guest houses for less than 20$. So the breakfast in here was a choice of fried rice, fried noodles or fried vermicelli. People who prefer a European breakfast can get a toast with a microscopic portion of butter on a small dish that is obviously too big for it. A little portion of jam. One egg and coffee.
They don’t serve anything more. No fruits, no veggies in Myanmar where these are the cheapest things ever! My local friend heard something about fresh juice from other guests so she asked for fresh juice and only then we had two small glasses of fresh juice. They didn’t say anything about it in the beginning.

This hotel is a real trap. It’s far from everything and the road to it is really bad (check the pictures). If you’re hungry, you’ll have to try their restaurant with astronomical prices! See the picture of the room service menu. You’ll find the same prices at the restaurant. Believe me, it’s never worth it in Myanmar when it’s that expensive. A local tomatoe salad for 6$ is above all words. This salad costs everywhere between 1 and 2.5 $.

Conclusion: If you want to enjoy your stay in Popa, better to choose the Popa Garden View. It’s closer to everything and more recent. At least, if you’re not happy with their restaurant, you can easily get to the nearest city or other restaurants on the way. And it’s closer to Taung Kalat.

Trip type: Travelled with friends