“Business made pleasurable”

Overtown Manor Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Wroughton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 February 2014

What a B&B this is...value for money, the welcome, the rooms, the breakfast..all sublime. This is a wonderful prooperty tucked away and Nancy really knows that its the little touches that make it a stay to remember. The rooms are beautiful, and the quality and luxury is second to none, I have never ever stayed in a B&B quite like this. The only small problem, it is small and perfectly formed, but does mean its very difficult to book another stay without having to wait weeks to do so...

Room Tip: They are all wonderful, the four poster room is smaller than the rest but the bed is heaven in the c...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 February 2014

My wife and I run our own business and had the relative misfortune to spend 4 days in Swindon in early January on a course.

That said, we avoided the usual 'Rep Hotel' of our course and sought out somewhere a little different. Overtown Manor is a very interesting period property and is tastefully furnished and feels very much like a home. We had a beautiful room at the top of the fine building, with its own bathroom and shower. In a truly miserable week, in which there were dreadful gales, the room was warm and very cosy and we felt cocooned from the elements.

Nancy, who runs this establishment is a human dynamo. She is a wife and mother and seems tireless. I had plenty of 'homework' to do, mostly sitting using my laptop and quietly watching the world go by and this little lady was a blur of activity all the while!

Breakfasts were no less than sumptuous and areas such as the drawing room and dining rooms were beautiful and relaxing.

Nancy was also able to give us plenty of tips about places to eat and places of interest while we were staying in her home and i cannot fault the experience from end to end. Sadly, the course was worse than watching paint dry, but returning to this oasis of calm each evening was a real treat!

Room Tip: Can't really say, as we saw two rooms, both of which were lovely.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I was on a course for 1 day a week over in Swindon; initially I booked in at the Premier Inn; first time; it was OK but nothing amazing. I found 'Overtown Manor' on here and thought I would stay for a night and see how it went. I arrived and Nancy offered me a pot of tea or coffee with a piece of her amazing carrot cake. I read the information about places to eat for dinner and off I went. The room was amazing everything clean and fresh and with a really comfy bed. I went out for my dinner and came back and stayed in my room; this is my personal choice but guests are all welcome to use the drawing room or sit around the kitchen table to chat if they wish! The bedroom is designed in a way that watching TV is fine (some places have TV's in odd places like windowsills or with no chairs - comfy chairs in the room. The curtains are really heavy and very pretty - it was my second visit that I noticed the swimming pool; whilst it is an outside pool it looked very inviting (an excuse to go back in the summer!). On my first stay I had breakfast in the kitchen; the next time in the dining room, on both occasions I chatted with others though I am sure if you wanted an 'intimate breakfast' Nancy would sit you further away from others. I can not fault Nancy's hospitality and she is so happy to provide anything you want - always makes sure she tells you to let her know if there is anything you need to speak to her. Absolutely fantastic - as such I have booked all my visits to Swindon here and have talked my other half into a couple of nights stay in the summer!

Room Tip: So far have stayed in rooms 1 & 2, room 1 is larger but room 2 has the four poster bed but both...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This b&b is by far the best one I have ever stayed at,

I stayed in the jan 2013 and loved it so much me and my partner went back at least 5 times between jan and April.

Where do I start - the setting of the manor it's self is beautiful, it's up on a big hill in wroughton the location is fantastic, it's very picturesque and Nancy herself (lady who owns the manor) has stables to the side of the manor so it does look lovely

On arrival Nancy would always greet us and show us to our rooms, her hospitality was lovely, we went for valentines day one of the times and said we might order a take away to the manor to avoid hustle and bustle and she was more than happy asking us if we needed any cutlery or plates etc in the room she would be more than happy to bring some up

We alway book the double room with four poster bed when we stay - the room Is quite small but very nice and cosy with lovely furnished bathroom, bedding and curtains all high quality.

The breakfast is to die for! As well as setting out everything for us when only two of us were staying there we had the option of cereals, yogurts, apple juice, orange juice, water, tea, coffee, granola you name it! However we didn't touch any of it as the home cooked breakfast with locally produced ingredients was what we look forward to, lovely eggs, bacon, sausage mushrooms and fresh homemade bread - brilliant.

This is deffo a must stay B&B if staying in Wroughton or even venturing to Swindon.

We will defiantly return again :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed here two nights in September. Nancy was a wonderful hostess, helping us with eating and sightseeing suggestions, and enjoyable to talk to. Our room was very comfortable, the breakfasts were delicious, and even though we had to eat in the kitchen one day (she hosts business meetings at the B&B), it was nonetheless a good time. In fact, she made you feel part of the family.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here with friends and were very impressed with the bed and breakfast. The house is beautiful and has a lovely grand but homely feel to it. The rooms were very well designed, I stayed in the smaller room with the 4 poster bed. Food was delicious and cooked to meet our dietary needs, portions were so good that guests were sad to leave behind some of the creme brulee. Breakfast was a lovely selection of cereals. Set in a lovely area of the countryside

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2013

There's so much to commend Overtown Manor that I'm in two minds about writing this... But feel I need to, if for no other reason than to hope these little niggles are resolved and all future guests have a perfect stay. Our room was lovely with views over the garden and pool, but unfortunately the curtains weren't heavy enough to protect us from the early morning sun which woke us long before we would normally rise. The towels in the bathroom had, I suspect, been line dried rather than tumble dried and, much as I applaud the environmental benefits of this, unfortunately it meant they were brittle and even held their folded shape when lifted off the towel rail. Finally, when visiting, remember this is a 'country house experience' which means you will find yourself eating the truly excellent breakfast at one large table with the other guests - be prepared to make small talk with strangers and don't expect to be able to have that intimate breakfast for two.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ScottishMissionary
overtownmanor, Owner at Overtown Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback. We're striving to give people a wonderful experience and any comments that can help me to improve the stay people have with us are appreciated. We try our hardest to meet everyone’s expectations.

The bedroom you were staying (bedroom 2) has a large 7 ft Victorian sash window and does have fully interlined curtains (as all the rooms do) that draw shut. I'm sorry that your room was not dark enough and will look into ways to rectify this.

The towels is a tricky one, we do not tumble dry them at the moment due to environmental beliefs. We've thought about this a great deal and I've discussed this with guests in the past. The overwhelming responses was that line dried towels were fine. However, I totally take your point on board and if I have warning from guests that they would like tumble dried towels I would happily make sure that this is the case.

We have a beautiful antique dining room table (inherited from my great grandparents- officers from the second world war sat around this table at Overtown) for guests to sit at in the dining room. Normally guests eat at different times so we avoid people having to sit too close to one another. I do try to put guests at opposite ends of the table and flowers from the garden in the middle. When the weather permits guests are welcome to have breakfast outside on their own or you are very welcome to eat in the kitchen.

If you would like to stay again I can put you in a room that does not get the morning sun and I will make sure the towels are tumble dried. I can also make sure that you have a quiet private breakfast. Best wishes and we look forward to welcoming you again soon at Overtown Manor.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroughton
Alexandra House
#3 of 25 in Swindon
Swindon Marriott Hotel
Swindon Marriott Hotel
#10 of 25 in Swindon

Been to Overtown Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!