“Excellent Value”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wroughton
Stamford, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I have stayed here before and find the location and facilities excellent and it is convenient for touring the Cotswolds. I have never paid full price and do not know what it is! In the past I have had dinner and B&B for £79 per night for two people and on my last stay I paid £98 for 2 nights B&B. The rooms are excellent, the beds are very comfortable and the breakfast was very good, particularly the bacon!.

Small quibbles. Free internet is provided but one has to ask reception for a 16 digit code which gives one 30 minutes access and then a new code is needed. I was not on a business trip but if I had been I would have found this procedure very tedious. I paid £25 for an upgrade package of "A Bottle of Wine and Chocolates" etc which was, to be candid, disappointing. A 1/2 bottle of undrinkable red wine and a box of 4 chocolates! Also 2 small bottles of water, a can of cherry fizz and 2 nice towelling bathrobes. A bit much I thought. Get a bargain price on this hotel and skip the "Extras" and you will be happy. Also, the hotel telephone system charges 70p/minute for local calls! Anybody who is charging that when mobiles are free or Max 35p a minute isn't going to get business I think!

Room Tip: Go for the Special Rates
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicholas I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
england
Reviewed 24 March 2011

This is our third stay at Alexandra House and we stayed on the ramblers break this time with boyfriend and another couple. Great value for money, staff all very friendly, helpful and attentive and despite concerns that it might be noisy given that there were two large functions on the same evening we slept well and our rooms were very quiet, we had asked for quiet rooms and they definitely were with a nice view over the grounds. The bed was comfy and massive so no fear of boyfriend hogging the duvet! Only slight complaint was that as so busy at breakfast they ran out of cooked food quickly and had to wait ages but in all honesty think that was down to other guests being incredibly greedy and stocking up the equivalent of three breakfasts on their plates!!! All in all great value for money, friends enjoyed it and want to come back and the staff always pleasant and polite.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank rrlEngland
Wiltshire
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We attended a function at the hotel and, being offered the amazing rate of £39.00 (including breakfast) for a standard room, we decided to stay over and were very happy that we did so.

The reception staff were pleasant and efficient and we found our room to be of reasonable size and extremely clean. The decor and furniture were modern in style and the bathroom, although quite compact, was bright, clean and nicely decorated.

We had a good nights sleep here and enjoyed the buffet breakfast the next morning.

Minor niggles? Well, for what we paid I don't think we have much right to be too critical but the radiator was quite noisy (you could hear the water rushing through it to the extent we had to turn it off) and a few more TV channels would have been nice - even normal Freeview would have been a vast improvement on the channels actually provided which numbered just eight ( the five main channels plus Sky One, Sky News and a music channel).

However, these very minor issues did not detract from an excellent experience at Alexandra House and we would definitely stay again (although I understand they will no longer be offering £39.00 rooms to future event attendees which is a shame!)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robbo2468
Hertford, UK
Reviewed 10 March 2011

We stayed for just one night in January. We thought the staff were friendly and efficient. The room was very clean and the bathroom and hospitality tray was well stocked. We made use of the room service for dinner, which was great and reasonably priced. The included breakfast was superb. We also used the leisure facilities which were very good. We would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janet2158
Potters Bar
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I read the previous reviews for this venue and felt quite apprehensive about what was in store. I was very pleasantly surprised - we had a great break and enjoyed our stay very much.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was large, very comfortable beds and well stocked with tea/coffee. You could also get hot drinks and biscuits at any time of the day/evening in the bar area. We ate both nights in the restaurant and had good friendly service and a good meal at a reasonable cost (£20 for two courses). I thought that the menu offered a good selection and the wine list was fine. The breakfast buffet was excellent both days we ate there.
The swimming pool was a great bonus for me - a reasonable size for a hotel pool and it was never crowded when I went early evening. It was spotlessly clean and there was a jacuzzi plus steam and sauna rooms and a gym which I didn't use but which looked well equipped to me.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank janeywhite
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2011

What a disappointment!

I have to say for such a great venue you really let yourselves down!

I think that's the worst menu and meal I have ever had in a 4 star hotel. Totally uninspiring! Catch of the day SALMON! who are you kidding. You can not serve farmed salmon as catch of the day! No decent starters. No Steak on the menu! If you want a steak you have to pay £13 for a '6oz' steak and chips in the bar. How mean is that. My room came equipped with just 2 (yes two) tea bags and when I asked for more I was delivered 1 (yes ONE Singular) tea bag!

And what is all this nonsense to get a wifi connection. You advertise FREE INTERNET BROADBAND WIFI but boy why do you make it so difficult to get a connection!
I had to go bakc to reception to get a PASSWORD SCRATCH CARD and then spend 30minutes logging into you system with million questions! Christ I don't have the time and sure most of your guests don't. Whats the problem. it should be straight forward!

Sorry Hayley. You really must try better.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank nclifford
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2011

I booked a special dinner bed & breakfast deal via travelzoo for my husbands birthday.Unlike other reviewers, our satnav took us straight to the door. In the low bushes immediately outside the main entrance was an empty jaegermeister bottle & a bag of rubbish. Check in was quick & easy, reception staff very polite & efficient. Our room was a typical corporate type room, but clean & pleasant. My only critisism being the window was very small making the room quite dark.Wifi was not working, which would be a bigger issue to business guests than it was to us, although we were not told this until we mentioned not being able to get online.The leisure facilities were very good & spotlessly clean.
Dinner was a buffet, included for us,normally priced at £19.95.Starter was just soup. Main course choices were roast beef, chicken in a creamy sauce, fish topped with salsa or a vegetarian dish.( there were salads also)None of it looked very appetising so we both played safe with the beef.Very thick slices, & no gravy other than that which was coating the meat. Vegetables were greasy smashed up roast potatoes, obviously frozenbrussels & sweetcorn together( yuk, thats different!), & carrots.This was all barely lukewarm. The yorkshire pudding was so tough it wouldn't even cut with a knife.I managed to pull mine apart but was not able to chew it at all.
Dessert was a choice of commercially made, thawed frozen tarts/gateaux or cheese.We had a decent bottle of reasonably priced white wine but no wine cooler was available as they were all in use in a function room.I would have been VERY unhappy to pay £19.95 pp for the meal on offer, it was not good.
There were a lot of young women around the hotel, dressed up for a party. They were in an area away from the main dining room & really were no problem to other guests.
However, when the party finished all hell let loose. From 1.30am doors banged, people were laughing & shouting in the corridors & then eventually a group of them decided to continue the party in the room next door to us.The walls are obviously paper thin, I could literally hear every laugh,cough, expletive etc. By 2.30 I had had enough & rang reception to sort it out.
For a vrey short while things improved, although they were still all in the room next door, just a bit quieter.At 4AM, having not yet had my eyes closed I called reception again.This time they dispersed, again banging doors, calling out to each other etc, & clearly 2 very drunk people next door eventually quietened down.
After only 2 or 3 hours sleep we were looking forward to breakfast. There was a reasonable choice, but again, all the cooked items were barely luke warm.
On checkout I asked to speak to a manager, & suggested that in future it might be an idea to house the party people in one wing, & those who actually would like to sleep in the other wing. ( It appeared that an entire wing was empty)The manager assured me this was the policy, but clearly it had not been implemented on the night of my stay because I was surrounded by party people.The result was that she deducted the newspaper & bottle of wine from our bill, but having planned a full day for my husbands birthday, we left the place absolutely exhausted.
A couple of days later I received an email from the hotel hoping I had enjoyed my stay, & inviting me to complete their customer satisfaction survey.I did this, & it would have been very clear that we had not been satisfied, but 1 month later I have not yet been contacted.
Would I go there again? Absolutely not, which is a shame, it is a very nice Hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mamahen46
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroughton
Swindon Marriott Hotel
Jurys Inn Swindon
Jurys Inn Swindon
#2 of 25 in Swindon
Holiday Inn Express Swindon West M4, Jct 16

Been to Alexandra House? Share your experiences!