“OK, but not rushing back”

De Vere Alexandra House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wroughton
Telford, United Kingdom
“OK, but not rushing back”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

The hotel is more a conference centre than a hotel. It tries very hard to be a hotel but falls down on some basic points. Tables not cleared in the restaurant of breakfast dishes, tepid tea/coffee/toast which you can only assume is because staff were prempting requests and had them on standby.

The jacuzzi, pool, steam and sauna were all very clean and an extra which you come to expect. What you don't expect is to be told on checking in is to use the towels from your room for the pool, tell us you've done this and then we will get you extra ones. Why not just give you towels at the leisure reception area? The photos are deceptive in the size of the pool - only 11 people allowed in the wet area at any one time.

A surcharge of £2:50 per credit/debit card use is charged by the hotel.....let's hope this doesn't creep in everywhere.

Arrival instructions were very good. Room was clean and quite with all the expected extras - free wifi/iron/hairdryer etc.

The showers, both in the room and the changing rooms, fluctuated between tepid, cold and boiling hot. The temperature dial was for show and didn't really have an impact on this.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Alexandra House.

First of all may I apologise that the service in the restaurnat at breakfast was not as slick as expected. I have raised this point with my Food and Beverage Manager and training is currently underway with the breakfast team in order to improve this area of service. Similarly, the information given to you in respect of towels for the pool may need to be made clearer as there are towels available in the leisure club, but if you have used your towels from your room we would of course replace them for you.

I am pleased that you found the welcome at reception to be good and your room was comfortable and clean, as was the pool and leisure areas.

We are currently working on the water system within the hotel, but thought we had resolved this issue already. I will ensure it is raised with my maintenance team again so that they can check the leisure area and your room to stop the temperature fluctuating.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Alexandra House again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Had my 50th birthday on 26th May and I cannot thank the staff of the hotel enough for such a great evening. The staff were very attentive without being intrusive, food was marvellous, rooms spacious and comfy - all in all an excellent evening - thanks to all concerned.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Una O
Alexandra_House_PCox, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share such fantastic feedback. I am really pleased that you had such an enjoyable birthday party, that the food was excellent and that the staff looked after you so well.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Alexandra House for your next party, if not sooner.
Berkshire
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed here on Saturday evening for one night. As we drove up to the hotel, it looked lovely, well trimmed gardens, lovely long drive and nice peaceful area. The reception was polite and friendly when we checked in. The hotel rooms are modern, in good condition with a work area and you could as I understand it, get wifi, peacefully quiet and clean. We had travelled from Wales in glorious sunshine and needed a shower before dinner. Unfortunately, the shower kept going scalding hot and then cold, which was quite annoying, we just had to wait for it to go cold, then jump away from it as it got too hot, We then went down to dinner and weren't sure whether to eat in the restaurant or the bar, as the football was on. The bar staff were extremely helpful and were able to serve us the restaurant or the bar food in the bar. We ordered a starter of breads, olives, etc followed by a main course. The main courses turned up before the breads, it wasn't a major problem, anyway, one of the bar staff came across and apologied and explained there was a communication between him and the kitchen staff and we appreciated his honesty and his apology. We got talking to the barmen and just mentioned that the room was nice, but the shower wasn't great. Before we knew it, we were upgraded to another room, The barmen even offered to move our luggage to the other room, now that is great service.

The dinner was good, not amazing, but good.

The great people didn't end there, we got up for breakfast and were greeted in the restaurant by the restaurant manager, who was friendly, polite and professional. We didn't get down to breakfast until about 15 minutes before breakfast closed. We got our breakfast and the manager actually came across and explained they would be taking the breakfast away shortly, but if we wanted anything else, just ask.

Our beautiful upgraded room was really lovely, but again the water kept going hot and then cold, not as scalding as the last room, but there seems to be a problem with the showers in the hotel, it even happened to the showers in the pool area.

We used the pool, sauna and jacuzzi, which were all fine.

Both myself and my partner had a massage while we were there, there isn't a dedicated room for this, as the masseuse is not on site, they travel in, so this was done in a meeting room, which was a little strange, but she did the best she could to make it not feel like a meeting room. I think a dedicated room would probably make it a little more special, but as the hotel doesn't claim to be a spa hotel, I guess it's not that important.

But again, the staff went out of their way to make things happen and tried their hardest to make us feel welcome and looked after.

A special thanks to the ladies on reception, the barmen and the restaurant manger.

Room Tip: The hotel is not perfect and communication isn't perfect either, but if you do have any problems...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iloveholidays041
Alexandra_House_PCox, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Alexandra House. I am really pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay and that my team looked after you so well. We pride ourselves on delivering an extremely high level of customer service with our staff empowered to deal with any situations that may arise to ensure we meet our guest's expectations, as with the bar man arranging a room move for you due to the problems we were experiencing with the hot water. I am of course very sorry that you experienced a problem with the water, which my maintenance team have now hopefully resolved, but pleased that the situation was rectified for you. Thank you for naming the particular staff members and I will ensure your feedback is passed on to them. I do hope that you have the opportunity to stay at Alexandra House again soon.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Went to a wedding reception here and to save travelling back after we got a room overnight.
We got 'cheaper rates' as we were there for the wedding reception but it was still £70.
We were ground floor but no noise so that's good.
Only facilaties I used were swimming pool and jaccuzi. Both were nice enough but jaccuzi was very small.
I didn't drink but everyone at the reception said how stupidly expensive drinks were.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank frankienew
Alexandra_House_PCox, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Alexandra House and I am sorry that you found the hotel to be expensive. If there were 2 people sharing a room at £70, then £35 per person for Bed and Breakfast is extremely competitive for hotels in this area.

In respect of the bar pricing, we do stock a number of premium products both on draught and spirits, and we do therefore charge a premium for these products. Our house spirits and main draught products though are comparable to other hotels in the area and also a number of high street bars.

I am sorry if this tainted the enjoyment of the evening, but hope that you will not be deterred from returning to Alexandra House in the future.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I had a couple of days training at this hotel so decided to book in and save any travelling. First impressions when you drive up to Alexandra House are excellent.
The staff were friendly, polite and helpful. Food was very good although i didnt actually eat in the restaurant but a little pricey.
I used the pool & gym on both mornings which were clean and must say i was very impressed.
I would have no hesitations in returning to this hotel

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank markburrows1968
Alexandra_House_PCox, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share such positive feedback following your recent stay at Alexandra House, and I am very happy to read that you had an enjoyable time.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Alexandra House in the near future.
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

A group of us enjoyed a weekend of Scrapbooking here at Alexandra House. What an excellent time we had.
The Hotel is clean, the food is 1st Class, the service beyound compare.
A big thank you to Jo, Sardrine and Bilal. Each of you are a credit to the Hotel.
I do hope to see you all next year when our group hope to return.

Room Tip: This was our second trip to the Hotel. We are a group of ladies who enjoy the same hobby of Scrapbo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tracey G
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent weekend retreat at Alexandra House.

I am really pleased that you had an enjoyable time and that the team looked after you well during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back for your next weekend retreat if not sooner.
Wiltshire
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Stayed one night to attend a reunion dinner for 144 people. Staff were excellent - very polite and welcoming and the accommodation is modern and spotless. Dinner was fine, although it is difficult to mass cater to a very high standard and the bar staff looked after us well into the wee hours. We had a deal on accommodation for £42.50 which was an absolute snip. The room was well appointed, again spotless and the bed was very comfortable. The room also offered a good working area which, coupled with the on-site lecture rooms would make this a superb venue for a short residential training course. Didn't visit the gym or pool but they both looked very good. A nice touch was the beverage station in the corridor offering complimentary tea, coffeee and soft drinks. Breakfast was excellent; a very generous buffet which would appeal to any diner. I had read about the watered-down juice and assumed a pedantic reviewer but it was true! I guess it shows the quality of the establishment if my only gripe was the fruit juice at breakfast. Would definitely stay again and highly recommend for training and conferences.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank IrishMonkey
Alexandra_House_PCox, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback following your visit to Alexandra House last weekend. I am very pleased to hear that the bedroom facilities met your expectations, that the staff were professional and polite, and more importantly, that you had such an enjoyable stay.

I note your comment about the Fruit Juice and will readdress this with my chef.

I do hope that you have the opportunity to stay at Alexandra House again soon, or if not before, I hope to be able to welcome you at the next annual dinner.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroughton
Village Hotel Swindon
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon
Beechfield House
Beechfield House
#1 of 1 in Beanacre

Been to De Vere Alexandra House? Share your experiences!