“a fine line well walked !!”

De Vere Alexandra House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wroughton
United Kingdom
“a fine line well walked !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

AP is used for conferances and as a hotel and experience elsewhere tells me they are either one or the other but rarely both-in this case AP does both very very well and at reasonable cost. One or the other function of the building can easily swamp the other but this fine balance very well done here

Tucked away in a very quiet patch of Wiltshire though only 5-6 minutes from J15 of the M4 the place is very comfortable and well appointed. The staff are great backed up by the managers comments on here..always a huge plus in my book

Part of a small private group we were impressed by a staff member suggesting we ordered dinner well ahead as they were busy (book a table too!) Very caring and the matre de spot on and charming with it

Rooms very comfortable and although no aircon on a hot night-with the window open (and presume high levels of insulation in he building) got a solid 8hrs sleep in !! and up in time for a very tempting buffet breakfast. Only comment there would be perhaps another toaster or two to reduce the wait time. Shower was fine in my room btw

I will be back next year and looking forward to it already

Room Tip: the building is very quietly located with no noise except birdsong and being only 2 floor high any r...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Simon B, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for your invaluable feedback, we are very proud of our product and I am pleased to see that you enjoyed both our bedroom facilities and our restaurant offering.

I will pass on your comments to our Food and Beverage Manager with regard the good service and we will also look to investigate the possibility of another toaster to ensure speedier service at breakfast in the future.

Your feedback is most appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back to Alexandra House next year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

for a new Government initiative today at AH. Venue is off the beaten track, however nice when you get there. Attention to detail was a little lax, no coffee cups by machines. Buffet lunch was very good. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank MickeyC0970
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following attendance at a recent Conference at Alexandra House. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our buffet lunch as we receive alot of positive comments with regard this.

Please accept my apologies concerning lack of coffee cups and rest assured this has been addressed with our Food and Beverage Manager.

I notice you mention we are 'off the beaten track' and I trust you enjoyed the peace and serenity our venue offers although we are only 5-6 minutes drive from Junction 15 of the M4, however I appreciate it is hard to imagine we are so close to the M4 given the beautiful surrounds of the Marlborough Downs.

Thank you once again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Alexandra House in the future.
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We spent two nights at the Alexandra House during the Rotal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford.

The venue is more conference centre than cosy hotel covering a large chunk of land to the south of Swindon, close to the M4 with an enormous carpark (although even that struggled on Saturday). Reception was friendly and efficient and after a hike we arrived at our room which was well appointed, and quiet looking over a lawned courtyard area. The room was clean, and light, with a small TV (odd given the expense on other fittings). The bathroom was a good size, but the shower struggled at peak times offering boiling water or a cool surprise!

Food was excellent, even when the main restaurant and lounge bar was taken over by a large school prom, and residents were moved to a conference room for a buffet dinner. Despite this, the catering staff and their management maintained an excellent service. Our second dinner was in the main restaurant which was of an equally high standard. Pricing was good.

Only one negative and that was that the room appeared to be have been cleaned in a rush, as we returned on the second day, scatter cushions etc (largely pointless anyway!) seemed to have been hurled randomly onto the bed and bore no resemblance to the pristine conditions on day one.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graham B
, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Alexandra House.

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that the team looked after you well from reception to restaurant and bars, despite us having to relocate the restaurant on one of the nights you stayed with us.

I have spoken to my head housekeeper in respect of your comments about the attention to detail when you room was serviced and she has started to refocus the team on these details to ensure that our guests continue to have the best possible experience.

Once again, thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor and I look forward to welcoming you back to Alexandra House again soon.
Denbigh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Huge conference centre rather than a hotel so if you are looking for somewhere quiet, this is not the place for you - its very busy. The food and staff were lovely, couldn't fault the food and the staff were very helpful and pleasant. It was value for money, we paid £300 for a 3 night ramblers break included buffet breakfast, packed lunch and dinner but no drinks (bar prices are very expensive, £4.50/pint), and use of leisure facilities.

However, and there are a few howevers: we were put in room 215 which was pokey and hot so we were moved to 260 an executive room which was bigger but still with a small window which only opened so far (H&S no doubt). We were very disappointed that there was no air conditioning in any of the rooms, only in public places, and no fan available. It was very hot last week - needed air con or fan, so if you get hot weather at this hotel - be warned! No biscuits provided with tea/coffee and no tissues provided in the room. This is basic stuff and are available in most cheap hotels? The shower in both rooms went hot and cold which was very furstrating. On one hand, this uses twice as much water as needed (not environmentally friendly) and takes you twice as long to take a shower because you are hoping in and out of the shower spray. Apparently there is a problem at the hotel with the shower, if your room is far away from the boiler? If you know about it, then why isn't it fixed?

If you wanted wifi, then you were given a card on check in with details on how to log in. This meant you had to log in to the hotel website, register etc, to get google and it didn't always work. Gave up in the end. Again, this is pretty basic stuff, why would we want to view your website when we are already a guest at the hotel, I just want google!?

Leisure facilities were nice. Used the pool and poolside facilities. Never saw any staff during the time we were there and the ladies changing rooms was full of hair, yuck.

We left 2 x waterbottles on top of one of the drawers one morning but housekeeping decided to put them in the bin! These plastic waterbottles were not placed in the bin by us and staff should not assume they were rubbish nor is it their decision to scan the furniture and decide what should be binned?

I know that scatter cushions and throws look nice on beds, but are they cleaned after the last guest? A lot of hotels do this and I really wish they wouldn't. The scatter cushions are thrown on the floor (by most guests) and then placed next to my pillow which I sleep on by housekeeping the next morning. This is unhygienic. What has the previous guest been using these for? Who knows. It was too hot to need a throw overnight, this was put on the floor because there was nowhere else for it to 'live' only to be put back on the bed by housekeeping. Please don't.

We completed the questionnaire at the hotel and left it at reception with the above-mentioned points and hope some if not all can be rectified.

Room Tip: Choose executive suite but take a cooling fan for hot days!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at Alexandra House and I am pleased that you enjoyed the food, that the staff were helpful and that you found your stay to be very good value for money.

I am of course dissappointed that you had some negatove comments though, and whilst we are a conference/corporate hotel during the week, like most hotels, we adapt to the leisure and wedding market at the weekend. I am sorry that the hotel was too busy to allow you the opportunity to relax in the lounges.

As you had a problem with your initial room, I am glad that my reception team upgraded you to an executive room, but I am sorry that all of our fans were already in use. As you have stated, we are aware of an intermittent problem with the water which we are doing everything we can to identify the problem so that we can fix it once and for all.

I am sorry that my housekeepers removed the empty bottles from your room, but they are of course trained to leave each room looking as clean and tidy as possible, I am therefore guessing that they were a little over zealous. I respect of the wi-fi connection, we operate a standard landing page for guests to register their details before enabling direct access to the internet. I am sorry if this caused you some delay in accessing Google. Similarly, the free access is for 30 minute sessions only. Guests wanting longer than this can obtain a code from reception to allow 24 hour access.

I do hope that the points you have raised will not deter you from returning to Alexandra House in the future, at which time I look forward to welcoming you back.
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Stayed overnight here, to attend a meeting organized in the hotel for the next day.

I can't fault my stay - the room was clean and comfortable, food (room service, breakfast, lunch) was excellent, and it was a really good price - dinner, bed and breakfast less than £100. Free fast wi-fi.

Definitely recommend, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at Alexandra House.

I am really pleased that you had such an enjoyable and comfortable stay and found the hotel to be great value for money, from the great of the bedrooms to the quality of dishes available in our restaurant and the free wi-fi.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Alexandra House in the near future.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

A good conference hotel. The food was ok, buffet style which is always difficult to keep warm. There is plenty of parking and the location is easily accessible of the M4.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Alexandra House.

I am however dissappointed to read that you only found your stay to be satisfactory despite the location and proximity to the M4, the ample parking and the great conference and meeting facilities.

I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit Alexandra House again soon at which time I hope we exceed your expectations.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Without question the staff make this place, from check in to check out and everything in between. They cannot do enough for you.

Our one night stay had a rather inauspicious start however. We booked a Ramblers Retreat break and upgraded to an Executive Double. My partner specifically requested a room with a view over the grounds (and was told that this would not be a problem) however we actually got a room with a view over the central courtyard (268). Slightly annoying but nothing more.

More frustrating was the fact our room did not have any towels, bathrobes or slippers as specified in the deal. In addition the fridge did not work and neither did one of the lights in the room. Towels and slippers were provided after a quick call to reception however we were informed (very apologetically) they had run out of bathrobes. Due to this and the other issues above we were informed that the manager would like to offer us a complimentary bottle of wine of our choosing with dinner. Nice touch. I should add that on returning from dinner both the fridge and light were working fine.

The room was very large and modern with everything you would expect (flat screen TV, Xbox, iron, trouser press, safe, desk, tea/coffee facilities, fridge etc.). It was a little dark however. As part of the deal we had a half bottle of wine waiting for us.

Dinner was superb and the service was exceptional. Very attentive without being overly fussy. Breakfast the next day was also excellent which a varied choice of hot and cold options. I did not use the pool or gym facilities but have been reliably informed they are very nice with sensible opening hours.

We were woken in the middle of the night by a rather loud and drunk wedding guest however this was mercifully brief and should it detract from what was a very nice and relaxing stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Alexandra House and I am very pleased to read that my team looked after you so well.

I am sorry that there were a couple of issues with you room though but once you brought these to our attention I am happy that they were resolved and that the gesture of a bottle of wine with dinner was appreciated in recognition of your inconvenience.

Your comments about the restaurant food and service will be shared with the teams as it is always nice when their efforts are recognised.

It is unfortunate that some other less considerate guests disturbed you during the night and I hope that this did not cause you too much inconvenience.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to Alexandra House again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroughton
Village Hotel Swindon
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon
Beechfield House
Beechfield House
#1 of 1 in Beanacre

Been to De Vere Alexandra House? Share your experiences!