i was taking the in-laws to Oxford and Bath for some sightseeing and decided to stay halfway, choosing the Alexandra based on previous reviews and value for money as it was a 'bed for the night'. We arrived at the hotel about 7.30pm, was checked in quickly and pleasantly, no problem so far. Our room was about a 10 minute walk from reception, through the bar; the room was a reasonable size but it hadnt been hoovered (there was a dead beetle on the floor, and spiders with cobwebs on the ceiling. i tried calling reception but couldnt get through, then housekeeping no answer, then the duty manager, no answer - and I left the phone ringing a good 5 minutes each time while doing other things. I know the hotel was busy but still its a bank holiday weekend, its a popular wedding venue and there were loads of staff, I just dont know what they were doing. On my way to reception I met a member of staff and mentioned the problems to him, he said just notify reception so I kept walking. I told reception, they informed me housekeeping were no longer there but she would get it sorted - no offer of another room. So went back to the room got ready to go out, on my way out went back to reception to check, was told it would get sorted while I was out. I also asked for recommendations for a nice local pub to get some dinner, they gave me a couple of options with equally confusing directions. I found one of the pubs by chance, but was told all the pubs in the area would stop serving food at 9pm, so back to the hotel for some overpriced pub food, the hotel reception should really know this info. Finally went back to the room, nothing had been done, and I personally found the bed far too soft. oh well. wont be going back there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Alexandra House is a modern contemporary hotel, boasting 152 en-suite bedrooms and banqueting, wedding and meeting space for up to 250 people across 22 bespoke spaces, ideally located just 5 minutes from junction 15, M4 motorway. For business guests we are perfectly situated in Wroughton, overlooking Swindon within easy reach (5 mins. drive) to Nationwide - Pipers Way head office, Windmill Hill and Blagrove business parks, home to companies such as Openwork, RWE, BP Castrol, Nokia Siemens, MAN truck and Catalent. Set in 20 acres of landscaped grounds within the beautiful Cotswold countryside, this Wiltshire hotel is a fantastic choice for the discerning leisure visitor, close to an array of world-class locations including Avebury & Stonehenge World Heritage Site, Longleat Safari Park, the Roman Spa city of Bath, Lacock village, home to Lacock Abbey where Harry Potter was filmed, McArthur Glen outlet shopping village and the start of the ‘Ridgeway’, an ancient Iron-Age track, which is possibly the oldest road in Europe. Stone Age man once walked along its route - not only long before the likes of Stonehenge came into being, but even before Britain was an island! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LateRooms, Expedia, Hotels.com, Superbreak UK, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your De Vere Alexandra House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexandra House Hotel Swindon
- Alexandra Hotel Wroughton
- De Vere Alexandra House Wroughton, Wiltshire