“let down in almost every department”

De Vere Alexandra House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wroughton
London
“let down in almost every department”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

i was taking the in-laws to Oxford and Bath for some sightseeing and decided to stay halfway, choosing the Alexandra based on previous reviews and value for money as it was a 'bed for the night'. We arrived at the hotel about 7.30pm, was checked in quickly and pleasantly, no problem so far. Our room was about a 10 minute walk from reception, through the bar; the room was a reasonable size but it hadnt been hoovered (there was a dead beetle on the floor, and spiders with cobwebs on the ceiling. i tried calling reception but couldnt get through, then housekeeping no answer, then the duty manager, no answer - and I left the phone ringing a good 5 minutes each time while doing other things. I know the hotel was busy but still its a bank holiday weekend, its a popular wedding venue and there were loads of staff, I just dont know what they were doing. On my way to reception I met a member of staff and mentioned the problems to him, he said just notify reception so I kept walking. I told reception, they informed me housekeeping were no longer there but she would get it sorted - no offer of another room. So went back to the room got ready to go out, on my way out went back to reception to check, was told it would get sorted while I was out. I also asked for recommendations for a nice local pub to get some dinner, they gave me a couple of options with equally confusing directions. I found one of the pubs by chance, but was told all the pubs in the area would stop serving food at 9pm, so back to the hotel for some overpriced pub food, the hotel reception should really know this info. Finally went back to the room, nothing had been done, and I personally found the bed far too soft. oh well. wont be going back there.

1 Thank M_A-B_100
Simon B, Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry that we have clearly failed you and as a consequence you have not enjoyed your stay with us.

All of your points have been duly noted and fed back to management to ensure that these kinds of issues do not occur again.

Your feedback is most appreciated and I hope you may consider visiting us at Alexandra House so that we can prove that this particular weekend really was just a one off, this I believe is backed up by our continued good comments prior to and after this weekend. This may be of little comfort and I do appreciate you taking out time to give us your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Bellaghy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

I have travelled quite a bit this year and as hotels go this one was quite good in terms of modernity, cleanliness, friendly staff, good internet and room size / layout however there were several things let it down very badly and one of these was downright dangerous hence the 3 rating.

So the niggles first - room service was limited to pizza and I also felt that the price of the Magners I had along with the pizza was quite expensive compared to other English hotels I have been in.

Location would be extremely difficult to find without a sat-nav.

There was zero mobile phone reception in my room on the 3 network can't speak for others and perhaps it is unfair to pin this one on the hotel.

The cooked breakfast was by far the worst I have had on my 11 trips this year the choice was limited and the only edible thing present was a pork sausage there were no beans and the fried egg was laughable it was so overcooked. This annoyed me as a good breakfast is one of the things I look forward to in hotels and I resented paying for poor quality badly cooked food. The event which I attended later that day in the hotel also ran out of food which took a further 20 minutes to replenish.

The main issue I had was the shower which went from cold to scalding in a short time span - this is dangerous and had a small child being using it potentially very serious indeed. I had read reviews which discussed this and very obviously nothing has been done to resolve the issue. As this is a health and safety matter I take a very dim few of the fact the issue has been highlighted by multiple guests and yet there are no warnings given or indeed any resolution in place. It would not take a lot to raise my rating for this hotel however I would have to think long and hard before staying again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JimJackPirates
Thank you for your invaluable feedback.

It is clear from 4 of the reviews from the end of August that we have clearly failed in one of our breakfast sittings, I have addressed this in a previous response and can only apologise for our shortcomings on this occasion, as mentioned on a previous review actions are now in place to ensure this never happens again.

With regard the water temperature in your shower I can assure you that we take this very seriously and at this point are under an extensive programme to replace all shower thermostats, your review however is the first to suggest any danger with prior experience telling us that we had small fluctuations in temperatures.

As a consequence we have expedited the repalcement of all shower thermostats to ensure this issue does not happen again and until a shower has been refitted we have tested them to ensure that there are no dangers to guests welfare.

I thank you once again for your feedback and hope that you will find it reassuring enough to perhaps give us another chance to impress you.
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed 2 nights on DBB in August and overall had a wonderful stay! The service at reception was excellent, and although our two rooms were a little walk away this was not a problem for us, (and actually allowed us to walk off the delicious dinner we had!) The dinner on the first night was very good, with efficient service from very helpful and friendly staff. (Especially the F&B manager who served us)

The second night however was not quite up to the same standard - for example we asked for the fish and chips to come without mushy peas, and it subsequently came WITH mushy peas! They did offer to correct this though when mentioned. We did also feel a bit neglected when we were ready to order dessert and were avoided for about 20minutes by the waiting staff, who kept walking past avoiding our gaze!

These were only small points however, and the rest of our stay was most enjoyable - the bedrooms were a good size and very comfortable, and the leisure facilities are well maintained and modern too. There was a wedding on on the Staurday night, but this didn't affect us at all and we hardly even noticed it was there!

Would very happily stay at this hotel again and would definitely recommend!

1 Thank TW93186419
Thank you for your positive feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed our hotel and your stay with us.

Your points with regard dinner on the second night are duly noted and have been addressed with both our Chef and Food & Beverage Manager. At Alexandra House we are striving for excellent service at all times and with constructive feedback like yours this makes us able to continue to improve.

Your feedback is most appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back to Alexandra House in the future.
Glastonbury
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel. We had a family get-together to celebrate the life of a member of the family who had passed away. I thoroughly enjoyed the visit. The room was perfect - very clean and comfortable bed. The food is OK - I ate from the buffet and it was quite tasty, but I couldn't say the food is of a high standard. Breakfast was a disaster - food was in short supply and people were waiting around the buffet area for 20 minutes plus for hot food. When it did come out, there wasn't enough for those waiting. They need to get that organized and to be fair it wasn't over busy in the hotel. My cousin went without breakfast because she got fed-up with waiting. She asked to see the manager several times but her request was ignored. Overall lovely to be with family and I would go back for another family event, but not if I was travelling with my husband and wanted a special weekend away.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feed back for your recent stay, firstly may I apologise for the delay in responding to you as I have been on annual leave.

I thank you for your positive comments and also for your constructive feedback with regard breakfast service, I have investigated this with my food and beverage team and unfortunately we simply did not get service right on this occasion, there were extenuating circumstances with members of staff not coming in for work however we appreciate that this is not your (the guests) problem. We have now taken measures to address this so that if a similar situation arises in the future we will have suitable cover to avoid any such mishap.

I would to encourage you to return so that we can prove this was very much a one off situation and I hope you are able to make reference to the large number of positive comments we continue to receive on Tripadvisor.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

We have stayed at the Alexandra House on a number of occasions and our most recent stay didn't disappoint. The hotel has a very modern feel, the rooms are great, staff friendly and there is a good number of options at the breakfast buffet. Good location just off the M4, it is the perfect place for an overnight stop. We will be back, for sure!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for once again for your great feedback, I am delighted that you continue to enjoy our hotel and your stays with us.

Your feedback is most appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back to Alexandra House very soon.
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed here at the end of July on a ramblers weekend. We had a room upgrade which was nice with chocs and wine too. A nice sized room with everything you need. breakfasts and dinners were both very good with plenty of choice. The hotel is in a nice location, in the countryside with nice walks on the doorstep and Swindon only 10 minutes drive away. The reception desk staff offer a great welcome and were always friendly, the same in the restaurant. There is a pool and a gym but we never got in there.
All in this was a great place for a weekend break with nice staff and good food.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, it's great to hear you had a good time at our hotel and I trust you will be looking forward to come back and stay with us again in the not too distant future.
Hambledon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed for a one night Rambler's Retreat Break which included Breakfast, Dinner and a Packed lunch for £109. Automatically upgraded to an Executive Double with wine and chocs. Had a buffet lunch upon our arrival for £15 for 2 which is reasonable. Food was really good. We also used the fully equipped gym, the pool looked a good size although we didn't get time to use it. Great area for walking, started at Avebury Stone Circles and walked for 7 miles around the various monuments etc. Hotel also provided a walking guide. Would definately return later in the year.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

The Chef is always delighted to hear positive feedback on the food we provide and we are fortunate to have a number of these.

Your comments are most appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back to Alexandra House in the near future, hopefully you will get chance to use our leisure facilities next time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroughton
Village Hotel Swindon
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon
Beechfield House
Beechfield House
#1 of 1 in Beanacre

Been to De Vere Alexandra House? Share your experiences!