“not recommended”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wroughton
Pilton, UK
“not recommended”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I was here on a business training event.
The hotel is without any character. It apparently is a converted hospital, and gave me the same feeling, though without the smell of disinfectant! I felt more and more like I wanted to escape.
The rooms were modern and OK.
The staff were mixed. The reception staff were friendly enough, but failed to mention that you could not charge anything to your room without making "special arrangements" - how difficult would it be to take a swipe of your credit card when you checked in?
The bar drinks appeared to be priced with company expense accounts in mind - really over-priced! The food : well we had a buffet for lunch which was OK, and then selected our dinner from a huge menu, but the food was average at best.
Another real issue is that apart from in the car park and certain pockets (generally outside) there is NO mobile phone reception at the hotel.

I would definitely not stay here out of choice!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Simon B, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, particularly as it was a traning event and we have a great reputation in this line of business.
Just to clarify that our building is a modern, purpose built venue dating back to 2006 and although it occupies the site of an old RAF hospital it is not a converted building.
I will ensure I speak to our Reception Manager with regard charging back to your account but this is normally done providing a guest simply leaves us their credit card details, unless we are specifically asked by some companies not to provide this facility. With regard our bar prices these are regularly checked with our local competitors and we do not differ to local hotels and conference venues. I was sorry to hear that you thought our dinner food was just average, as you will see from other reviews this is not the consensus.
Finally our mobile network coverage is strong with 3 of the main providers, these being O2, Vodaphone and Orange, some smaller providers do not have such extensive coverage and may require you being outside to use them. We hope to improve this service but on the whole it is not something that we get a great deal of negative feedback about.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Bath
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We arranged this weekend break with Superbreak as a 2 night stay with full breakfast and dinner included on the first night. Excellent value for money considering the amount of food included. The rooms were modern, clean and warm considering we picked a cold autumnal weekend. The location is on the outskirts of Swindon which is ideal if you have transport offering a peaceful getaway. The leisure facilities were superb and included an indoor pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, games room and gym (although we didn't indulge in the latter two). The staff were all very friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming. If I had to make any criticism it would be no conditioner or tissues provided in the room and no pastries or meats/cheeses provided on the Saturday breakfast although this had been rectified on the Sunday.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if there is a function on during your stay.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Simon B, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the leisure facilities on offer, despite not getting chance to make use of all of them! We are fortunate to combine a very convenient location just minutes from the M4 with a very quiet rural outlook. I have fed back your comments with regard the breakfast choice on Saturday and this appears to be an oversight as our offering would normally include all of these items. I will ensure I pass on all of your feedback to our team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a little gem, a totally random find that turned out to be a fantastic place that I can't recommend enough. The service and food were outstanding. And the rooms were all modern, clean and very stylish. The swimming pool, gym and saunas were amazing and I was really impressed with anything about this hotel. If you get a chance go to this hotel, I will be returning as soon a possible !

• Stayed October 2012
Simon B, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure I pass on all of your feedback to our team, in particular our Food & Beverage Manager who will be pleased with your comments about both the food and the service. Thank you also for pointing out our great facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Crowborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2012

My wife and I had a two night 'deal' with one evening meal, the food was amazing, 5 star in the restaurant and a lovely breakfast. We had a problem with the heating/hot water. The staff were very helpful and offered a small discount on departure which was much appreciated. Pool and sauna lovely although the towel situation needs to improve...they ran out of stock on reception and I have to wait in my room for a towell! (keep the room/health club towels seperate surely?) The Outlet in Swindon is well worth a visit. We will visit again i'm sure...

Room Tip: All rooms quiet..I think!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your second stay at Alexandra House and I hope it is the second of many. Please accept my apologies with regard the hot water during your stay, we had a brief failure of one of our boilers that was quickly rectified and is now fully resolved. I will ensure I pass on all of your feedback to our team, in particular the Food and Beverage team in the restaurant. I have fed back your comments with regard towel supply and this is now rectified with additional towels on reception should they be required. We pride ourselves on great customer service and I am delighted to hear you received just that.
Leeds
Reviewed 22 October 2012

After many family trips to Swindon, I found this hotel on laterooms.com its location was ideal or so it seemed from the map, yeah its isolated but I have a car. We arrived and after driving through the country and then happening upon a nice residential area found the hotel. Yes it a bit of a modern "block" but that’s the exterior. We were met in reception by one of the few reception staff, Sandrine (I hope this is spelt correctly) who gave professional and personal service. The room was standard fare for the type of hotel, better beds than the Hilton and brighter rooms than the DeVere. Our tip wasnt really for pleasure but to see an ill relative, who subsequently passed. Christine from reception also deserves a mention, because of how caring and helpful she was.
Food was good, yes I agree the menu isn’t extensive, but for a short breaks its good enough. The added bonus of the “RAMBLERS RETREAT” package including a packed lunch was a really great idea. So to some up good hotel, excellent staff, and yes we will stop again, just booked another night there, might even take swimwear to test the Spa

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stevo25
Simon B, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Alexandra House and also our convenient location. I will ensure I pass on all of your feedback to our team, especially Sandrine, our Reception Manager and Christine who also works on Reception. We pride ourselves on great customer service and I am delighted to hear you received just that.

I look forward to welcoming you back in happier circumstances.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We have used this hotel before and find it very quiet, it is clean, the rooms are of a good size and come with tea and coffee facility in the room. The staff are friendly and helpful if you want information regarding the hotel or the surrounding area. The inside swimming pool is a bonus, it is a good size and the water always seems to be just right and the hotel will issue with towels.
The evening meals are good and the breakfasts are excellent.

Room Tip: Not had a bad room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Simon B, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the faciliteis on offer. We are fortunate to combine a very convenient location just minutes from teh M4 with a very quiet rural outlook. I will ensure I pass on all of your feedback to our team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2012

This is a conference hotel that we used at the weekend for one night to attend RIAT 2012. We fell on it by accident using skiddle on the internet. A double and a single room booked on Ramblers Retreat and included, dinner B&B and a packed lunch. Buffet style hot dinner with lots of variety and eat as much as like. Rooms clean, spacious and modern. Great value for money. Lots of parking and a very accessible hotel. The hotel is just outside Swindon and if we ever that way again, definitely stay there. Staff excellent as one of the party had a cold and restaurant manager for the evening bent over backwards to accommodate with fresh honey and lemon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Simon B, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and also our convenient location. I will ensure I pass on all of your feedback to our team, in particular our Food & Beverage Manager who looked after your colleague with a cold!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroughton
Village Hotel Swindon
Jurys Inn Swindon
Jurys Inn Swindon
#2 of 24 in Swindon
Bowood Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Alexandra House? Share your experiences!