“Lovely quiet hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wroughton
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Lovely quiet hotel”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have stayed here twice with my partner on a weekend break without our little one and it is a lovely hotel in general, both rooms we've had have been quiet, modern and clean. Good selection of channels on the large TV (great when you have a little one who normally hogs it!), and the bar food and evening meal were lovely.
Breakfast is a little disappointing, but certainly nothing inedible, pleasant enough and staff are generally very friendly.
If you're a fan of eating in your room then I'd steer clear also, as there is not a large selection.

For the price you pay, I think this is a lovely hotel, probably not enough there for a lengthy stay, but for a quiet weekend/long weekend break it is superb, free pool and gym, with sauna, steam room and jacuzzi which are all very clean and a pleasure to use. If you have a car I'd suggest maybe venturing out to Marlborough or Avebury if its nice weather, both are a fairly short drive from the hotel. Possibly not the best hotel for an extended stay in if you have children (aside from the pool there isn't really much for them to do), as it is not really child orientated, more business and couple.

The cleaning staff must do an incredible job as both rooms we stayed in were spotless!

Room Tip: Say when you'd book if you'd like a quiet room away from main hallways - the staff seem to b...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Simon B, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Alexandra House. Our Head Housekeeper and her team do an excellent job and it is nice to see praise given where sometimes it is forgotten, often our Food and Beverage team receive all the praise!

I am glad you enjoyed the food although slightly disappointed that you weren't overly impressed with breakfast and I will review this further with our head chef.

I agree with you regarding visiting Marlborough and Avebury, we are in a lovely part of the world being just a few miles south of Swindon with the Marlborough Downs and the Cotswolds very close by. I am slightly disappointed you did not find our games rooms, you don't mention how old your child is but we have table football (small charge) pool and X boxes that are free to use for our guests with giant Jenga and Chess also available but perhaps they are a bit young for these.

Thank you once again and I trust we will be welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Ilkeston
Reviewed 29 December 2012

This is the second time in just over a year I have stayed at this hotel whilst on a course. The bedrooms and the facilities are excellent, although wifi and mobile phone signals are just about non-existent, which is very frustrating when you need to catch up with messages and emails etc during breaks.
The only down side to this hotel is the food. Whilst I can not say that it is appalling, I can not say that it is very inspiring either. The breakfast's were not very well organised and I had to chase a pot of tea both mornings. The second morning the hot buffet did not seem to have been restocked and there was no bacon when I went up. We were provided with a buffet lunch during our course and the ony way I can describe it is "brown"! A typical unhealthy array of spring rolls, sausage rolls, pizza slices, samosas etc. Not one bit of salad or anything fresh in sight. There was a little bit of fruit but that was covered in strawberries and I am allergic to them although In fairness I can't hold them responsible for my allergy I suppose!
Dinner at night once again lacked anything fresh and green. No side veg at all, just whatever your dish came with and the food was not well enough cooked for me to over look this. I had the pork fillet both nights purely because it actually came with carrots and my colleagues gave poor reviews of the food that they had on the first night that I felt it was better the devil you know, although the pork was over cooked and dry. I have to say that by the time I left I was desperately in need of some nice fresh fruit and veg.
I actually find it quite sad that I have to write a review that does not rave about the food here. We had our wedding reception at Eastwood Hall Hayley Conference in Notttingham and the food was just out of this world, which was one of the main reasons we chose the venue. I suppose I was expecting similar from each hotel in the Hayley chain but sadly this is not the case.

1 Thank ONeill71
Simon B, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed by the food offering at Alexandra House and given the normal excellent feedback we receive for our food I am also surprised. I will of course address this with our chef. The buffet lunch that you received would have been specific to the requirements of your course as most of our lunches are served in the restaurant and are accompanied with a wide variety of vegetables and fresh salads, on the occasion we are asked to cater to a meeting room we provide exactly what is ordered. I am sorry this did not meet with your approval.

With regard the breakfast buffet this is simply unacceptable and will be addressed accordingly. I am surprised however to hear your comments with regard dinner as 7 of the 8 main courses available to you would have included at least 2 fresh vegetable options and should you have requested more vegetables we would have been happy to oblige.

Thank you once again for taking the time to pass on your comments and I hope that perhaps you will consider trying us again so that we can prove that this was the exception not the rule.
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2012

My husband and I had a one night stay here and really enjoyed it. We booked a special offer which included an evening meal in the price. All the staff were very welcoming, our bedroom was good and the evening meal in the restaurant was fantastic, one of the best meals we'd had in a long time. The only downside was we found the swimming pool rather chilly but that is obviously down to our personal preference.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joanne L
Simon B, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure I pass on all of your comments to our team who will be delighted to hear them. I will review the pool temperature, however as you mentioned this could be down to personal preference as we like to keep the temperature comfortable for people swimming in the pool as well as using the pool for leisure. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
various
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I arrived at the hotel after an overnight flight and long drive. Arrived at the hotel at 11.30am . I was told that check in was 2pm. I asked was there any rooms ready as I was tired and woud really like to get a shower. The girl at reception again said that checkin was 2pm but i could wait in the bar area and someone would let me know when my room was ready, I waited there until 1.00pm , no one came near me so I went back to reception to be told again that checkin was 2pm and that there was no rooms ready. I said that surely in a hotel of this size but no was the answer. I was gain told to wait in the bar for 10-15 mins .which I did and when I went back to reception I was todl that the 'system' was down and they couldn't check me in yet.
How can a hotel of this size not have a single room ready from 11.30am to 1.30 pm. The simple truth is that is NOT TRUE. They had rooms ready but they couldn't be bothered asking the housekeeping staff if any rooms were ready and they moving me to that room.. What happened to going the extra mile at the ALexandra House (Haley principal) they don't know what it means iF ITS BEFORE "PM CHECK IN. NEVER AGAIN

1 Thank VariousTraveller
Simon B, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this review, 29 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, there is no excuse for us making you wait the length of time you did in our lounge and for that I sincerely apologise.

Unfortunately as I do not have your name or date of stay I am unable to check the specific date but please rest assured that it is of no interest to us to lie about the status of our rooms, it may have simply been that we had a large amount of guests staying overnight and the rooms departing were very few, if these guests did not check out until later and if for some reason we had been short of staff this is why we may have been struggling to get rooms back prior to 2pm, this is why we give ourselves until 2pm to allow for any such eventualities.

We pride oursleves on excellent service and do our utmost to satisfy our guests needs at all times but sometimes we are unable to accommodate requests outside of the norm however hard we try. However I have to say that our staff are highly unlikely to lie about such things, there simply is no point.

I will ensure I speak to our Reception Manager with regard this incident and take any appropriate action as I am very disappointed that you were left to wait for an hour and a half without someone coming to see you

Thank you once again for your feedback.
Headingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I recently stayed here for 6 nights. Hotel and rooms are kept clean to a high standard staff are attentive and friendly. In room you get tv with basic channels and one Sky sports channel which is always a plus. During week if conferences are on its lively however my stay went through the weekend and its like a ghost town. There is ample free parking. The gym is ok may need some tlc to one or two pieces of equipement (oil on rower). We ate at hotel and food from bar menu and restaurant menu nice perhaps slightly over priced. We also had takeaway some nights in the games room where there is a large american pool table thats free of charge :) Free papers and fruit all around hotel daily also which is a nice touch.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the facilities on offer. I have fed back your comments with regard the gym equipment to our leisure manager and he will ensure he checks this. Our menu prices are regulalrly checked against other local hotels and restaurants and I believe they are in line with similar establishments. Thank you for your positive feedback on Alexandra House and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We have just had a one night stay whilst visiting family in the area. The room price was good value and for £10 each we had a very good breakfast.
The hotel is in a very peaceful location with good access to the M4. We did not use the leisure facilities as we did not have enough time.
The room was clean and spacious, with a good bathroom but the shower wasn't the easiest to operate. For a 4 star hotel, I think the bed could have been bigger and more comfortable but realise that these rooms are mainly for single occupancy as this is a conference centre.
Staff at reception and breakfast were extremely helpful and courteous.
The website does need updating as it states check out is by 10 am and upon checking in were informed this was 11 am much to our relief!
All in all a good one night stopover.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure I pass on all of your feedback to our team who will be pleased with your comments. Thank you for your comment with regard the inaccuracy on our website, this will be rectified as soon as possible. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Very comfortable, clean and modern. Staff cannot be faulted, facilities and rooms are excellent. My only criticism being that the baths are somewhat small. Food by and large very good, but this is the only reason I did not give 5 stars. Breakfast on a couple of occasions was dry and unappetising and the curry buffet on Thursday was fairly bland. Would not stop me going back or recommending at all.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Simon B, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the facilities on offer. I have fed back your comments with regard the breakfast standard to our head chef and he will ensure he reviews this, with regard the curry buffet we will also review the offering but on the whole this was a great success on the night and well received by guests, perhaps we can vary the strength of curry to meet all tastes. Thank you for your positive feedback on Alexandra House and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroughton
Swindon Marriott Hotel
Jurys Inn Swindon
Jurys Inn Swindon
#2 of 25 in Swindon
Holiday Inn Express Swindon West M4, Jct 16

Been to Alexandra House? Share your experiences!