“Not overly impressed”
Review of Alexandra House

Alexandra House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wroughton
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for business reasons on Saturday 23rd March. We drove up to Alexandra House and it looks nicer than your average hotel. We were greeted warmly and we were very happy with the hotel we had chosen.

That was until a wedding party arrived in the afternoon. The wedding guests had priority over everything in the hotel which I can understand to some degree, but not to the detriment of my stay. We requested to watch rugby in the bar, but the girls didn't know how to change channel. Therefore we had to wait 45 minutes for the manager to come and change it because everybody was busy with wedding guests. We missed half of the match, and I don't think it was too big an ask to change a channel considering we paid over £9 for an apple juice and a cider.

We headed on out anyway, and when we came back I was very unhappy. Lo and behold the wedding guests had taken over again. A large crowd of young men were smoking just inside the entrance (surely this is illegal, it is a covered area and they were very close to door). I detest smoking and the fumes make me ill, yet nobody batted an eyelid. Walking through a clap of smoke on the way to my room is very uninspiring.

I went to bed, had a terrible night sleep. Get ready for a bad back. I was woken up literally every hour, the walls are paper thin here and I am not a light sleeper. Such a bad sleep, I would say the worst I have had in a very long time at a hotel.

In the morning, I queued for around 20 minutes to check out behind a large crowd of wedding guests taking over reception. 1 person was completing check out, I felt sorry for the poor girl.

I am very unimpressed, weddings are important and I understand that but generally I felt the service was poor. I won't be returning.

Conclusion - it is very reasonably priced, but do not stay on a weekend where they may be a wedding on. Choose a weeknight. I really hate doing negative reviews but I felt I had to be honest.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
RayMckibben, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to send your feedback through trip advisor, please accept my sincerest apologies as it seems that your your weekend was a disappointment to you and your partner.

As you can see from some of our other trip advisor reports we do get it right. I am saddened to see that you felt the wedding party taking over the venue, your review started off so positively and then deteriorated so so rapidly.
My duty manager was on that day and night is on holidays and will be returning to the business next week, I will be talking through with him and the team about your experiences here at Alexandra house. There are certainly lessons to be learnt and the team and I will certainly analyse the issues of the day and act accordingly. One group of people should never restrict the enjoyment that other guests enjoyment of our hotel.

I will be dropping you to the system a personal email as I do wish to talk to you directly, as a matter of serious I certainly would like you to return to experience normal service at Alexandra house.

Once again please accept team analyse apologies and I look forward to talking to you soon.

Kind regards

Ray and the team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Only stayed at Alexandra House for one night, but found the staff in reception and the wait staff in the restaurant to be professional and very friendly.

The rooms were nice and clean with tea and coffee making facilities (I'm told some people love that sort of thing) and a straight forward radiator heating system that works. There's a swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room for those who like to stay in and relax.

The on/off button in the shower was a bit odd in that you have to get it just right when turning it off, but the power and hot water was great.

The only negative - the wifi didn't work in our room. Not sure if it was a one off, but I booked the hotel for the free in-room wifi, so a little disappointing.

Would definitely stay there again if I were in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
RayMckibben, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to us through trip advisor, I'm delighted to read that you had a great stay with us and that he found the team very friendly and very professional. Our main aim as professional caterers is to provide a good quality hotel with good food, quality surroundings and happy friendly staff.

Thank you for letting us know about the Internet access it does work 99% of the time, the building has very good coverage with a large network of adapters around the building, but unfortunately if one of these adapters fail for whatever reason. We have no way of knowing unless you tell us, we have now put a new standard where the team will check the Internet access while doing their fire and security check rounds.

This will at least allow us to know if they are any problems before guest tell us. This change has happened as part of our quality wins team. We analyse guest feedback and if there is a re-occurring problem we as a team find a solution.

Thanks for a much for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back again at Alexandra House.

Kind regards

Ray in the team

Reviewed 8 March 2013

This was not my first visit and I hope that it will not be my last.

I attended a training conference and stayed for a total of four nights. My check in was very quick and friendly. My room was large and very well furnished. Both the bedroom and bathroom were very clean.

Over four days the conference facilities were second to none. We occupied a number of conference rooms. They were well appointed and were frequently restocked with water and clean glasses throughout the day.

The food was reasonable but the standard had deteriorated over the years that I have visited. There was a lack of variety over four days in respect of the evening meal. The staff were good but there was a serious problem in serving the numbers at dinner. Some people on each table had finished before others had started! The hotel had plenty of notice and the evening menu was chosen each lunch time. No excuse for slow service.

Everything else was great.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
RayMckibben, Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being kind and letting us know your thoughts on your stay.

It’s great to read so many positives comments, and we are delighted you have been here so many times.

I know which conference you were attending, and we had some feedback on all aspects of the conference, from the main organizing team. They said it was one of the best conference venues they have worked with. This was great to hear and the team are delighted with such feedback.

As you were such a large group, we wanted to give you a choice menu. Each night we would get 70% of the pre order and for this to work effectively, we would need

100% of all orders, as some of your colleagues changed their minds on the night, it didn’t support us in trying to maintain a more effective service.

We have a better solution for next year’s event, which the team will discuss with the organizer

Thanks so much for your great feedback, and we as a team learn positively from every event we run and we look forward to welcoming you back to Alexander House in 2013.

Reviewed 28 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for work, not impressed. On surface all seems nice and modern yet actually very poor when marked against competitors.
Food in restaurant average but overpriced, £15 for sausage and mash. 2 hours for 2 courses, very slow considering less than a tenth of seats were being occupied
Only bottled water was tap, not against tap water but no alternative given at meal.
Staff unsure of specials, when in most cases this would be priority.

Phone signal and wifi very limited
TV's in room all big and modern but restricted from digital channels. Hotel only selection like a throw back to eighties. Rooms nice, clean and spacious but poorly sound proofed

Not a good enough standard when looking for accommodation away from home.

• Stayed: February 2013
RayMckibben, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you feel you’ve had to write this review, the Team and I are upset that we got it so wrong for you, and that we didn’t live up to your expectations.

I would ask that you contact me through the website with some more details; which date you stayed? What night you ate? I will sit down with the team that serviced you that night, and go through your very valid points.

I would also ask you and any other travellers reading this to help and support the Venue by advising us at the time if you were not happy with the service or our staff.

Trip advisor is fantastic and as progressive Hotelier, I embrace all social media sites as they are a great format of information for our guests.

I would like to speak to you personally on the matter. So you can see we are very genuine in our approach to customers

Reviewed 24 February 2013

This is our 5th time to Alexandra House and felt the hotel has lost something. The hotel staff seemed to have let their custom service standards fall in comparison to previous visits. Our first disappointment was when we asked the girl working at the bar how much a latte would be as it looked like it was machine rather than fresh ground coffee and wasnt going to pay over the odds for it. She said she didn't know (?) and would check, so we took a seat while she served the only other family in the bar and waited..... and waited. Meanwhile another senior looking member of staff came to ask her if she'd done something on the till, she spoke quite rudely to him in front of the other family she was serving then pulled a face to them behind his back as if to say "what?" I thought this was quite disrespectful and very unprofessional. A good 10 minutes later she still hadn't come back to us about the coffee so we upped and left. This action caused us to seek our coffee and also our evening meal away from the hotel as I didn't like the attitude. The main reason for our stay was to have a bit of down time and to use the leisure facilities which are good but noticed the changing room is becoming a little tatty. Lots of the lockers didn't have keys, some of the doors were practically hanging off and the floor in the shower was quite dirty. On our second visit to the leisure area a cleaner was present (no acknowledgement from her) but the shower floor remained dirty after she had gone. On the morning we left there was a wedding fayre in the hotel and one of the leisure staff moaned at me about not liking to wear a suit when on leisure duties but 'had to do it because of the wedding fayre' Again, I thought this was unprofessional because she didn't know I could have been part of the wedding fayre attendants. The room was a standard double which was fine but not enough coffee and milk (4 of each) 1 biscuit, 1 bottle of water (no glasses only plastic cups in the bathroom) Toiletries seem to have reduced and ran out of toilet paper! As weve stayed here several times before we obviously like the place but I do feel standards have slipped. It's not what I would expect from a 4* hotel. The staff have let it down on this occasion, some seemed to give the impression they don't like working there and not as attentive as previous visits. When checking out weren't asked if everything had been ok, just took the money and bid us farewell. Didn't feel valued as a customer for the first time ever. Would seriously consider returning.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor at the back so you're not overlooking car park

Dear Trip Advisor Guests

I have emailed the client directly as it very important that I address all the issue listed on the review. As General Manager, it is my responsibility to ensure the smooth running of our Venue/Hotel. We as a team, did not act in the appropriate manner, both operationally and through good customer service.

I have spent time with all my Heads of Departments, going through the issues that have arisen, from a couple of poor Tripadvisor`s responses.

As you can see from other reviews, we have lots of happy customers, but when get it wrong it’s important to look at our operation, and our staff to make sure I’m giving them the best advice and support needed, to ensure we run a great hotel for our customers.

Apologies, to our very important guest, Emma who had a poor stay with us, we will get it right next time for her.

Ray and The Team at Alexandra House

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Me and my other half stayed at this hotel from Friday to Sunday (15th to the 17th). When we first got there we had a slight problem with the payment due to booking on booking.com that they hadn't taken the money out of my account for the two nights but the one girl on reception got that sorted with no bother for us, we then asked a few questions and she was able to answer them all and let us know where everything is around hotel, she then checked us in, we stayed in room 107, it was a lovely big room! Had everything you need, bathroom was clean and was kept clean throughout the weekend, bed was comfy and TV was good, the room had a little office desk so you could work well if you needed too. All round I was really pleased with this stay, I have ALREADY recommended it to others, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. The staff were helpful through the whole stay and they are all really friendly specially the head waitor (I think that's who he was), we didn't use the swimming pool but it looked lovely, was really clean and well kept and I can't wait to go back to use the swimming pool. There was also a room with a pool table, xbox, big chest game on the floor to play with etc and that was great to use! - I will definitely be returning to this hotel in the future! THANK YOU FOR A WONDERFUL STAY :)

Room Tip: All rooms are clean, quiet and homely, great place to stay!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review.

I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We are very fortunate to have a fantastic team here and they all contribute to the Alexandra House experience .

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back to Alexandra House in the near future.

Ray and The Team

Reviewed 20 February 2013

this is a great hotel with great friendly helpful staff .the hotel is modern .very clean and the food is fantastic . the evening meal was really tasty nice and hot ..the hotel has a nice swimming pool with gym sauna and steam room .towels were provided ...the wifi was a little irratic but that may be because my phones a bit ropey..all in all a great hotel ...book with confidence..thanks for a great weekend alexandra house staff

Room Tip: take a refundable pound coin for the locker in the spa area

Dear Guest

Thanks you so much for taking the time to sending us you very positive feedback, the team and I really appreciate it and we will be delighted to welcome you back in the near future

Please drop us a email if and when you return so we can meeting you in person.

Kind regards and have a great day

Ray and the Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroughton
Swindon Marriott Hotel
#1 of 25 in Swindon
Stanton House Hotel
Stanton House Hotel
#2 of 25 in Swindon

Been to Alexandra House? Share your experiences!