My partner and I stayed at this hotel for business reasons on Saturday 23rd March. We drove up to Alexandra House and it looks nicer than your average hotel. We were greeted warmly and we were very happy with the hotel we had chosen.
That was until a wedding party arrived in the afternoon. The wedding guests had priority over everything in the hotel which I can understand to some degree, but not to the detriment of my stay. We requested to watch rugby in the bar, but the girls didn't know how to change channel. Therefore we had to wait 45 minutes for the manager to come and change it because everybody was busy with wedding guests. We missed half of the match, and I don't think it was too big an ask to change a channel considering we paid over £9 for an apple juice and a cider.
We headed on out anyway, and when we came back I was very unhappy. Lo and behold the wedding guests had taken over again. A large crowd of young men were smoking just inside the entrance (surely this is illegal, it is a covered area and they were very close to door). I detest smoking and the fumes make me ill, yet nobody batted an eyelid. Walking through a clap of smoke on the way to my room is very uninspiring.
I went to bed, had a terrible night sleep. Get ready for a bad back. I was woken up literally every hour, the walls are paper thin here and I am not a light sleeper. Such a bad sleep, I would say the worst I have had in a very long time at a hotel.
In the morning, I queued for around 20 minutes to check out behind a large crowd of wedding guests taking over reception. 1 person was completing check out, I felt sorry for the poor girl.
I am very unimpressed, weddings are important and I understand that but generally I felt the service was poor. I won't be returning.
Conclusion - it is very reasonably priced, but do not stay on a weekend where they may be a wedding on. Choose a weeknight. I really hate doing negative reviews but I felt I had to be honest.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Alexandra House is a modern contemporary hotel, boasting 152 en-suite bedrooms and banqueting, wedding and meeting space for up to 250 people across 22 bespoke spaces, ideally located just 5 minutes from junction 15, M4 motorway. For business guests we are perfectly situated in Wroughton, overlooking Swindon within easy reach (5 mins. drive) to Nationwide - Pipers Way head office, Windmill Hill and Blagrove business parks, home to companies such as Openwork, RWE, BP Castrol, Nokia Siemens, MAN truck and Catalent. Set in 20 acres of landscaped grounds within the beautiful Cotswold countryside, this Wiltshire hotel is a fantastic choice for the discerning leisure visitor, close to an array of world-class locations including Avebury & Stonehenge World Heritage Site, Longleat Safari Park, the Roman Spa city of Bath, Lacock village, home to Lacock Abbey where Harry Potter was filmed, McArthur Glen outlet shopping village and the start of the ‘Ridgeway’, an ancient Iron-Age track, which is possibly the oldest road in Europe. Stone Age man once walked along its route - not only long before the likes of Stonehenge came into being, but even before Britain was an island! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, LateRooms, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Alexandra House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexandra House Hotel Swindon
- Alexandra Hotel Wroughton
- Alexandra House Wroughton, Wiltshire