A friend and I decided to book for two nights for a leisure break however I was slightly disappointed. Although the hotel was very clean and tidy and the staff were very friendly they seemed to be rather sparse. We arrived late on a Friday evening and check in was very efficient and the staff were friendly. On the Saturday however we went for a drink in the bar and had to keep finding a member of staff every time we wanted a drink. They were very friendly when they were there but they would come into the bar, serve the drinks then lock up the bar again and disappear doing other things. This got rather annoying as you can imagine. The food was over priced but was ok. You do expect to pay over the odds in a hotel for food so what we did eat in the bar was acceptable. It was breakfast that was really disappointing. Again there appeared to be a lack of staff and organisation. We weren’t first in for breakfast but we certainly weren’t one of the last and most of the hot (use the term 'hot' loosely) food was gone and took along time to be replenished. I had to ask three times for coffee and toast, both which were cold when they did arrive. Also when we did get toast we then had to ask again for milk and butter. The 'hot' buffet was replenished so slowly it was never completely full and therefore no matter how long you waited to serve yourself, something would still be missing. Breakfast was between 8 (which seemed rather late) and 10am so I really don’t think it’s a hard task to keep a hot buffet replenished for two hours!
The room felt rather small, small bed and rather dark. More what you would expect from a budget hotel not one advertised as a leisure/spa hotel. Very clean and practical but more suited for business use not pleasure. The bath was small and there was only one towel and one in the wardrobe although we were told if we wanted to use the pool we should use the towels from our room which would then have left us just hand towels! The pool area was very clean however little details were missing that made it feel more like a public pool/gym rather than a relaxing spa. Soap/shampoo in the showers had ran out, having to take towels from the room etc.
Also I had asked on the Friday evening if we could have a late check out on the Sunday and was told this wasn't a problem but I would need come back to book it on Saturday. When I did this I was told the hotel was full and a late checkout wasn't possible. This was rather disappointing and would have rather known this when we checked in. I was also surprised to hear the hotel was full as for most of the day I hadn't seen hardly any other guests or any staff for that matter.
In conclusion, the hotel is clean, friendly and practical and I would have thought it more than adequate if I was on a conference or business trip. As I was on a leisure break I’m afraid I was disappointed and did not feel relaxed which was a shame as both my friend and I have careers and children, two night breaks are few and far between.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Alexandra House is a modern contemporary hotel, boasting 152 en-suite bedrooms and banqueting, wedding and meeting space for up to 250 people across 22 bespoke spaces, ideally located just 5 minutes from junction 15, M4 motorway. For business guests we are perfectly situated in Wroughton, overlooking Swindon within easy reach (5 mins. drive) to Nationwide - Pipers Way head office, Windmill Hill and Blagrove business parks, home to companies such as Openwork, RWE, BP Castrol, Nokia Siemens, MAN truck and Catalent. Set in 20 acres of landscaped grounds within the beautiful Cotswold countryside, this Wiltshire hotel is a fantastic choice for the discerning leisure visitor, close to an array of world-class locations including Avebury & Stonehenge World Heritage Site, Longleat Safari Park, the Roman Spa city of Bath, Lacock village, home to Lacock Abbey where Harry Potter was filmed, McArthur Glen outlet shopping village and the start of the ‘Ridgeway’, an ancient Iron-Age track, which is possibly the oldest road in Europe. Stone Age man once walked along its route - not only long before the likes of Stonehenge came into being, but even before Britain was an island! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LateRooms, Superbreak UK, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your De Vere Alexandra House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexandra House Hotel Swindon
- Alexandra Hotel Wroughton
- De Vere Alexandra House Wroughton, Wiltshire