“Booked for relaxing leisure break but unfortunately felt more like a business hotel.”

De Vere Alexandra House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wroughton
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

A friend and I decided to book for two nights for a leisure break however I was slightly disappointed. Although the hotel was very clean and tidy and the staff were very friendly they seemed to be rather sparse. We arrived late on a Friday evening and check in was very efficient and the staff were friendly. On the Saturday however we went for a drink in the bar and had to keep finding a member of staff every time we wanted a drink. They were very friendly when they were there but they would come into the bar, serve the drinks then lock up the bar again and disappear doing other things. This got rather annoying as you can imagine. The food was over priced but was ok. You do expect to pay over the odds in a hotel for food so what we did eat in the bar was acceptable. It was breakfast that was really disappointing. Again there appeared to be a lack of staff and organisation. We weren’t first in for breakfast but we certainly weren’t one of the last and most of the hot (use the term 'hot' loosely) food was gone and took along time to be replenished. I had to ask three times for coffee and toast, both which were cold when they did arrive. Also when we did get toast we then had to ask again for milk and butter. The 'hot' buffet was replenished so slowly it was never completely full and therefore no matter how long you waited to serve yourself, something would still be missing. Breakfast was between 8 (which seemed rather late) and 10am so I really don’t think it’s a hard task to keep a hot buffet replenished for two hours!
The room felt rather small, small bed and rather dark. More what you would expect from a budget hotel not one advertised as a leisure/spa hotel. Very clean and practical but more suited for business use not pleasure. The bath was small and there was only one towel and one in the wardrobe although we were told if we wanted to use the pool we should use the towels from our room which would then have left us just hand towels! The pool area was very clean however little details were missing that made it feel more like a public pool/gym rather than a relaxing spa. Soap/shampoo in the showers had ran out, having to take towels from the room etc.
Also I had asked on the Friday evening if we could have a late check out on the Sunday and was told this wasn't a problem but I would need come back to book it on Saturday. When I did this I was told the hotel was full and a late checkout wasn't possible. This was rather disappointing and would have rather known this when we checked in. I was also surprised to hear the hotel was full as for most of the day I hadn't seen hardly any other guests or any staff for that matter.
In conclusion, the hotel is clean, friendly and practical and I would have thought it more than adequate if I was on a conference or business trip. As I was on a leisure break I’m afraid I was disappointed and did not feel relaxed which was a shame as both my friend and I have careers and children, two night breaks are few and far between.

1 Thank suzie317
RayMckibben, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
On 15 May 2013 17:51 RayMckibben wrote:
Dear Suzie

I am Ray the GM at Alexandra House, sorry to read your review and is it possible we can talk about it, I would be grateful to get some more information from you. what room you stayed in, the name your room was booked under and dates that you stayed.
As I need to check rotas and find out what went wrong with your stay.

Can you send me an email address and a mobile I can reach you on.

There is no excuse for poor service and I need to talk this though with my team, we do get things right and we have lots of happy customers and we do care about what I client think about our hotel.

Like every business we need to learn from our mistakes

I look forward to talking to you.

Kind regards

Ray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stayed here for one night following a party. Room was spacious and comfortable.The only bad point on the room was the radiator was quite noisy. Breakfast would have been excellent had the food been hot! The plate warmer was not working so plates were cold as well. Staff were very friendly and helpful in both the reception and dining room. (although they couldn't do anything about the luke warm food.) Hotel is quite remote, but seems to cater mainly for business clients.
Prices at the bar were quite expensive, but overall an enjoyable stay.

Dear Linda

We really appreciate that you have taken your time to feedback to us about your stay, delighted to see you will be returning

in relation to your feedback about breakfast, I have discussed this with my executive chef in my breakfast chef and we are extremely apologetic that you found breakfast not up to standard. I have asked them to come up with some failsafe ideas to stop them from ever happening again, as a team we will come up with some solution.
We do regularly take temperatures of all breakfast items and this is recorded. I have personally spoken to the breakfast team during our daily briefings on on ways that we can prevent loss of temperature while the restaurant is using a buffet breakfast.

Thanks once again for your comments they are important both good and bad, as a proactive team we use it to grow and make service better.

Kind regards

Ray and the team
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Hadn't expected such a large hotel in the middle of nowhere and of a high standard as well. Guess it must be used for a lot of large conferences.
Reception was friendly and efficient.
The room was very comfortably furnished though a full size bath would have been appreciated as I couldn't fit into it comfortably. It was also one of the few hotels I've been to where TV only had the basic channels, not that we watched it much as we were there for a party.
Bar staff were friendly and efficient though the prices were a little higher than I expected.
Breakfast was buffet style and had a large selection of hot and cold food. Our waiter only looked about 16 but he was extremely polite and efficient. Only complaint here was a common one for buffet meals and that is the food wasn't as hot as it could be. This wasn't helped by having cold plates as the plate warmers didn't appear to be working. Despite that it was an enjoyable meal.
If it wasn't for the few niggles I would definitely have given it a 4 out of 5.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

It was my second visit to Alexandra House, and I hope it will not be my last! set in a quiet location this smart modern hotel caters for all.
The staff are extremely friendly and always ready and willing to help. Food choice is excellent and good quality.
Rooms are comfortable and very well equipt and decorated to a high standard.

Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

Made last minute booking through bookin.com, only to find the hotel had no knowledge of this. Reception lady was very helpful and sorted us out. The room was very good, except the bed could be a bit bigger, and also the TV was very poor to watch, needs up dating. Restaurant well over priced. The biggest thing that let this hotel down was the breakfast, very slow in restocking cooked breakfast. My husband and I was so looking forward to our night away and cooked breakfast. The toast was cold and coffee luke warm, waited over half an hour, bits and pieces came out a bit at a time, we got fed up waiting and left. I did keep asking where breakfast was and all I got was its coming ( well so is Christmas) There was fruit and cereal, with cheese and ham, but we enjoy our cooked breakfast. I shall not be returning again as this is just really not our cup of tea.

Room Tip: This is more geared up for Business. (over priced)
Hastings, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

Knowing the area we thought the hotel would be quiet.... but woken about 7am Sunday morning by the cleaner who banged doors and wardrobes etc in the adjacent rooms and the corridor for the next 2 hours.. we gave up trying to sleep in the end and got up and went to breakfast..

Only 1 bath towel and one hand towel between two of us and they were rough enough to rub horses down.. what is it with hotel's and towels?

Shame as we liked the hotel ...room was nice it could do with curtains at the window's as the blind was not full length and let the light in, bed was comfortable and reception staff were very helpful.

Duty Manager made a bit of a fuss initially when we asked to view the Function Room and Bridal Suite for our future wedding.

Duty manager made a little fuss about showing us the function room and bridal Suite when asked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not near the car park or the book in car park at the front
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Cirencester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

Third year. So nice to see familiar faces. Sandrine and Bilal. both welcomed us back. I can not praise this place enough. It's fresh, clean, friendly and the food is to die for. We all enjoyed our time here and do hope we will manage to get back again next year. Big thank you also to Jo Nicholls who is our point of contact before we arrive and always makes sure we are well looked after. Never get to see the Chef but feel I must mention him. Presentation, flavor, choice amazing, thank you.

Room Tip: Stayed three time and never been given a room I didn't like.
2 Thank Tracey G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroughton
Village Hotel Swindon
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon
Beechfield House
Beechfield House
#1 of 1 in Beanacre

Been to De Vere Alexandra House? Share your experiences!