“Wonderful treatment of a large classic car group”

De Vere Alexandra House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wroughton
London, England
“Wonderful treatment of a large classic car group”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I cannot praise this hotel enough in the way that they handled our group this weekend. We were 230 people for an International Classic Car weekend in Wiltshire. We more or less took over the hotel, having planned this event for around two years.

All the way along the hotel has been more than helpful. For particular mention is Bilal the Restaurant Manager who is a fantastic wine salesman!! However, everybody from reception through to the restaurant and banqueting staff were terrific.

We had some quite unusual requests for the hotel which they handled flawlessly.

The location is unusual as it is located in the countryside near a residential estate. However, for business or large groups the hotel is ideal.

The staff entered into the spirit of our weekend and it turns out the General Manager is a classic car enthusiast.

Thank you Alexandra House. You've helped make our weekend memorable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near reception as the corridors are immensely long
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
RayMckibben, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear Nick

thank you so much for a wonderful review, from all the team at Alexandra house it was our pleasure to look after such a nice bunch of people, yes we all did get into the spirit of things but
but I can`t say I be getting out my cheque-book to soon to buy one of your very expensive cars.
So I'll have to to start saving.

As you are aware the team worked so hard to get it right for you but that's what we do and we enjoyed it, will be delighted to welcome you all back sooner rather than later

kind regards

Ray and the team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
wales
Reviewed 19 May 2013

lovely quiet hotel. Staff were excellent and very attentive .The food was amazing and service was excellent. Few issues with fluctuating water temperature of the shower which happened to a few of the group and not the quietest of rooms if placed near the bar. Would definitely recommend and visit again.

Room Tip: rooms at the end of the corridor are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sarah

thank you so much for taking the time to review us, I'm delighted to see that you would recommend us and you want to return.

Please let me know when you want to do this as we will all be delighted to look after you.

I will speak to my maintenance team about the water issue, hopefully something we can solve.
I do think it was that we had one large group of 230 people who were coming down to breakfast at the same time and showering at the same time which caused the water temperature issue. This is a very unusual occurrence and as a team we will talk about it and look for a solution.

Thanks once again for your communication and we look forward to welcome you back.

Ray
Coventry, RI, USA
Reviewed 14 May 2013

This hotel was on absolutely beautiful grounds. So quiet & peaceful. We watched the sunset out of our hotel window. We were not impressed with the staff at all though. The girl at the front desk was snotty & sent us into the local town to a laundromat, which ended up being closed, so we wasted 40 minutes of our time there & back for nothing. I wish she had offered to call. The next morning at breakfast, every table had toast as soon as they sat down. We had to ask for it when the meal was basically finished. I was NOT impressed by the breakfast or the staff at all.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the first floor, just make sure you park near your room as the hotel is large and v...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
RayMckibben, General Manager at De Vere Alexandra House, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear Jessica

Thanks so much for your honest review of our property, I was delighted to read that you like the hotel over all, but the team and i are very disappointed that you did not get the correct service at reception. I had a reception meeting today with all of the team and we discussed your comments and my colleague who gave you information on the laundrette thought she was been helpful and she didn’t think of giving them a call and is truly sorry that you wasting your time.

We genuinely have learned from your feedback and it would happen again.

Thanks for choosing us and we do hope you will be back.

Ray and the Team
London
Reviewed 14 May 2013

stayed with family this weekend's book by my brother in law and I was very happy with the hotel.
We had some lovely rooms and the range of food was good, reception team are really nice and were very kind to my kids and that's what you look for in a nice hotel,

the swim times were between 2 and 5 but my kids on the sunday wanted to swim earlier and they kindly asked the leisure members if they would mind them coming in and using the pool and they were ok with it, made my life a lot easier. most places would have said no.

good place nice people will stay again

Room Tip: back of the hotel away from the bar if you got kids sleeping early
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sir

Thank you for writing such a lovely review on Alexandra House, its lovely to here that we got it so right for you and your family, our Hotel is a conference centre during the week and we do have some great facilities and our family weekend prices are great value for money.

We really want all our guests to have a great time, Wilshire has some wonderful places to see and we are only 35 minutes from Bath and 30 minutes form Reading and Oxford.

Please let us know when you are return to Alex as we will be delighted to welcome you back.
Kind Regards

Ray and the Team
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2013

A friend and I decided to book for two nights for a leisure break however I was slightly disappointed. Although the hotel was very clean and tidy and the staff were very friendly they seemed to be rather sparse. We arrived late on a Friday evening and check in was very efficient and the staff were friendly. On the Saturday however we went for a drink in the bar and had to keep finding a member of staff every time we wanted a drink. They were very friendly when they were there but they would come into the bar, serve the drinks then lock up the bar again and disappear doing other things. This got rather annoying as you can imagine. The food was over priced but was ok. You do expect to pay over the odds in a hotel for food so what we did eat in the bar was acceptable. It was breakfast that was really disappointing. Again there appeared to be a lack of staff and organisation. We weren’t first in for breakfast but we certainly weren’t one of the last and most of the hot (use the term 'hot' loosely) food was gone and took along time to be replenished. I had to ask three times for coffee and toast, both which were cold when they did arrive. Also when we did get toast we then had to ask again for milk and butter. The 'hot' buffet was replenished so slowly it was never completely full and therefore no matter how long you waited to serve yourself, something would still be missing. Breakfast was between 8 (which seemed rather late) and 10am so I really don’t think it’s a hard task to keep a hot buffet replenished for two hours!
The room felt rather small, small bed and rather dark. More what you would expect from a budget hotel not one advertised as a leisure/spa hotel. Very clean and practical but more suited for business use not pleasure. The bath was small and there was only one towel and one in the wardrobe although we were told if we wanted to use the pool we should use the towels from our room which would then have left us just hand towels! The pool area was very clean however little details were missing that made it feel more like a public pool/gym rather than a relaxing spa. Soap/shampoo in the showers had ran out, having to take towels from the room etc.
Also I had asked on the Friday evening if we could have a late check out on the Sunday and was told this wasn't a problem but I would need come back to book it on Saturday. When I did this I was told the hotel was full and a late checkout wasn't possible. This was rather disappointing and would have rather known this when we checked in. I was also surprised to hear the hotel was full as for most of the day I hadn't seen hardly any other guests or any staff for that matter.
In conclusion, the hotel is clean, friendly and practical and I would have thought it more than adequate if I was on a conference or business trip. As I was on a leisure break I’m afraid I was disappointed and did not feel relaxed which was a shame as both my friend and I have careers and children, two night breaks are few and far between.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank suzie317
On 15 May 2013 17:51 RayMckibben wrote:
Dear Suzie

I am Ray the GM at Alexandra House, sorry to read your review and is it possible we can talk about it, I would be grateful to get some more information from you. what room you stayed in, the name your room was booked under and dates that you stayed.
As I need to check rotas and find out what went wrong with your stay.

Can you send me an email address and a mobile I can reach you on.

There is no excuse for poor service and I need to talk this though with my team, we do get things right and we have lots of happy customers and we do care about what I client think about our hotel.

Like every business we need to learn from our mistakes

I look forward to talking to you.

Ray
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stayed here for one night following a party. Room was spacious and comfortable.The only bad point on the room was the radiator was quite noisy. Breakfast would have been excellent had the food been hot! The plate warmer was not working so plates were cold as well. Staff were very friendly and helpful in both the reception and dining room. (although they couldn't do anything about the luke warm food.) Hotel is quite remote, but seems to cater mainly for business clients.
Prices at the bar were quite expensive, but overall an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Linda

We really appreciate that you have taken your time to feedback to us about your stay, delighted to see you will be returning

in relation to your feedback about breakfast, I have discussed this with my executive chef in my breakfast chef and we are extremely apologetic that you found breakfast not up to standard. I have asked them to come up with some failsafe ideas to stop them from ever happening again, as a team we will come up with some solution.
We do regularly take temperatures of all breakfast items and this is recorded. I have personally spoken to the breakfast team during our daily briefings on on ways that we can prevent loss of temperature while the restaurant is using a buffet breakfast.

Thanks once again for your comments they are important both good and bad, as a proactive team we use it to grow and make service better.

Ray and the team
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Hadn't expected such a large hotel in the middle of nowhere and of a high standard as well. Guess it must be used for a lot of large conferences.
Reception was friendly and efficient.
The room was very comfortably furnished though a full size bath would have been appreciated as I couldn't fit into it comfortably. It was also one of the few hotels I've been to where TV only had the basic channels, not that we watched it much as we were there for a party.
Bar staff were friendly and efficient though the prices were a little higher than I expected.
Breakfast was buffet style and had a large selection of hot and cold food. Our waiter only looked about 16 but he was extremely polite and efficient. Only complaint here was a common one for buffet meals and that is the food wasn't as hot as it could be. This wasn't helped by having cold plates as the plate warmers didn't appear to be working. Despite that it was an enjoyable meal.
If it wasn't for the few niggles I would definitely have given it a 4 out of 5.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroughton
Village Hotel Swindon
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon
Jurys Inn Swindon
Jurys Inn Swindon
#1 of 24 in Swindon

Been to De Vere Alexandra House? Share your experiences!