“Strange how one persons attitude can sour a visit”
Review of Alexandra House

Alexandra House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wroughton
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Just spent three nights at this hotel on business, very nice and friendly greeting on arrival. Hotel lovely and clean, room very nice. Everything was going just fine until I went to enjoy a meal in the restaurant with two of my colleagues. Ordered blade of beef, meal brought to me in about 20 minutes, but oh dear, what a disappointment (my colleague who has had a lot of butchery experience) described my beef 'as a piece of scrag end' very small portion with three very large veins of Nasty thick grizzly fat running through it, also very over done. Sent this back for a replacement and the chef instructed the waitress to inform me ' that if I eat beef I should expect to have fat' as the customer I found this very offensive, fat I don't mind but not when it is three quarters of a meal costing £20. Replacement also had one wide line of this awful grizzly fat running through it, couldn't be bothered to send it back, as by now my colleagues had finished their meal.

Real shame, because had it not been for this would have had a delightful stay, but will certainly give this hotel a miss in the future.

Room Tip: Give the restaurant a miss, plenty of other NICE places to eat in and around Swindon.
3  Thank Paula W
RayMckibben, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Paula,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. I'm disappointed that your experience in the Restaurant spoiled your stay here at Alexandra House.
Our Kitchen Team endeavour to provide the best quality food and of a high quality, all our food is cooked fresh to order, which is why on this occasion your experienced a slight delay. The comments made from the waitress were inappropriate and your experience will be fed back to both the Kitchen and Restaurant staff.

Ray Mckibben

Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed 18 September 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on a course. The rooms are standard size and clean. The only I comment would have is that the lighting could be better particularly if you are studying. Breakfast and dinner were fine, pretty much what you would expect from a conference hotel. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Traveller4047

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to write your review on Alexandra House. I am sorry that you felt your room was a little dark, we can always provide extra lighting.
We take a pride in our cleanliness of our bedrooms and i'm glad that you found all our staff to be friendly and professional.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed here for two nights for a wedding. The hotel is definitely more geared towards the corporate client. There were a good and bad aspects, which overall made it just average for the price we paid (a discounted price as part of the wedding party).

Good: clean and spacious rooms, friendly staff, nice lounge area with free coffee/tea/juice, easy check in and check out process.

Bad: shower had barely any water pressure & poor temperature control, although there was a variety on offer at breakfast the food quality was poor and the restaurant was ill-equipped to cater for a large group arriving together, bar prices extortionate! (and we are used to central London prices).

We can't comment on the leisure facilities as we did not use them but they seemed to be in constant use.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to write this review about Alexandra House, I'm glad that you experienced the friendliness of our staff, and that check in and out was efficient and timely for you.
The problems that you experienced with your shower have been addressed by our Maintenance Team. I apologise that you felt the food was of poor quality at Breakfast, we offer a large variety of choice on our Breakfast buffet. But your comments will be fed back to the Kitchen team.
We give all guests a timeline of when our Restaurant is busiest at weekends to help prevent large groups arriving at the same time.
I hope you would like to return to Alexandra House again in the future.
Ray McKibben

Reviewed 15 September 2013

My girlfriend booked this hotel as she found a good deal online and its quite close to a designer outlet so we decided to make a weekend of it! the car park free which is great when we arrived the receptionist told us her computer was down however the problem was soon resolved we were given access to free wifi which is very important to me! And made our way to the room a little bit of a trek if I'm honest but the room was clean, tidy all very nice only downside was the old fashioned small tv with not many channels to choose from, and there was the remnants of a somebody's lunch tray which had been left outside our door for the duration of our stay not nice! the pool and spa however were all very good we thought, decided to swerve the rather expensive looking restaurant for dinner but decided to have breakfast the next morning but was told we would of only be charged £10 each instead of the full price of around £15 if we had added breakfast to our stay at check-in but it wasn't offered to us which was disappointing but the friendly manager fixed this for us which was great! overall a very nice if not very corporate 4* hotel worth a visit but only if the price is right!

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Lee,

Thanks for your review from your recent stay here at Alexandra House.
I'm glad that you made full use of the free wifi and parking here, we our set in a great location, close to the Designer Outlet Village and the town centre, yet far enough out for you to enjoy the Wiltshire Countryside.
I'm disappointed to read your comment about the Room Service Tray, this has been fedback to the relevant departments.
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to you returning to Alexandra House.

Ray McKibben

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Highs:
Good rooms, fast wifi, excellent health facilities, superb customer service.
Lows:
Expensive food and restricted menus & not a lot else.....

I've stayed in a lot of corporate venues like this on courses and for conferences and Alexandra House is easily one of the best. While it doesn't have the character and charm of a small independent hotel it has done it's best to be warm, welcoming and friendly. All the staff I came into contact with over the two days I was there were extremely helpful and friendly, without exception.
My room was very clean, well equipped and spacious enough. Bigger rooms had been available at a few quid more but this did me. The only minor complain was the quite small TV in old fashioned 4:3 ratio. It seems a long time since I've seen a TV in a hotel room that isn't wide screen! Either way I didn't use it as the wifi was fast enough to stream video on my laptop.
The heath club was very nice. I didn't use the gym but the pool, steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi were all excellent. There was also a really nice games room with Pool, a huge chess bard and X-Boxes.
Bar food and restaurant food was very good. I'm vegetarian and while there was an excellent Vegi-burger on the menu there wasn't a huge amount of options. What I did have though was nice. Prices were quite high though; £12.50 is quite a lot for a Vegi-burger (even if it is very good and come with coleslaw and very nice potato wedges) and £14 is quite a lot for an average butternut and lentil massala.
Conference facilities were also very, very good. Great rooms with loads of natural light and comfortable chairs. Tea, coffee and snack facilities were also some of the best I've experienced.
Definitely recommended

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms. Quietest will be those at the end of corridors however th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
RayMckibben, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments about Alexandra House.
We really dedicate ourselves in providing a high standard of conference facilities and customer service to all our guests and I'm glad you received such service.

I shall forward your comments back to all our team members,

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We booked this on a package via Travelzoo which included 2 nights' accommodation, breakfast and dinner, plus a bottle of wine in our room on arrival. We were very pleased with the value offered.

Food has to be first on the list. We were very impressed! We do enjoy a variety of foods and eat out a lot, and have to say the restaurant was great. On the first night they were offering either a buffet or a la carte. After checking out the buffet selection we decided to have this. It was delicious, with so much choice. We had a la carte the next day which was fantastic too.

Drinks are expensive but we cheekily took our bottle of wine from the room!

Breakfast was fab. I have no idea how a previous reviewer likened this to a Travelodge (I'd like to know which Travelodge he frequents to get a breakfast like this!). Scrambled eggs, fried eggs, bacon, hash browns, tomatoes, sausages... plus croissants and pastries and fresh OJ and tea and coffee. Brilliant.

We used the pool and it was really good. Warm enough for our 4 month old to swim in and very clean and pleasant. The gym equipment was very modern.

It's certainly a conference hotel and most guests were on training courses. We did stay during the week though so maybe it's different at weekends. It didn't bother us as we just wanted good food and a nice base to explore the area from.

Would definitely recommend and would stay here again if visiting the area.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Milly80,

Thank you for your lovely comments about your stay here at Alexandra House.

We like to offer our guests a variety of food options, and I'm happy this has pleased you. Although we are a dedicated conference centre we welcome Leisure Guests like yourself throughout the year.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Spent two nights here by way of a travel zoo deal. Excellent hotel, clean, quiet, comfortable beds and spacious rooms. Staff were extremely helpful and the spa/swimming pool facilities were lovely, very welcome after a long day sightseeing! Would definitely return again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Jill M,

Thanks for your lovely comments about your stay here at Alexandra House,

We try to provide an outstanding service to all our guests and I'm glad you had a good time when you stayed.

Ray Mckibben

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroughton
Swindon Marriott Hotel
#1 of 25 in Swindon
Stanton House Hotel
Stanton House Hotel
#2 of 25 in Swindon

Been to Alexandra House? Share your experiences!