Alexandra House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$133
HolidayInn.com
US$59
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
Thistle Express - Swindon(Swindon)(Great Value!)
US$81
US$56
  • Breakfast included
US$178
US$75
US$72
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Swindon(Swindon)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$74
US$81
Priceline
1,107 results
All reviewsconference hotelhousing estateleisure facilitiessteam roomrestaurant managergood sizeevening mealpool and saunatrouser pressbar pricesbuffet breakfastquiet locationmodern hotelwaiting staffnight breakpublic areashash browns
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is our third time staying here. It's pleasant, helpful staff and calm but unfortunately we will not be returning as there is now a time limit for taking my baby in the pool. The main reason we liked it and kept returning was the pool and that I could take my baby in the pool when we wanted. Just went to get in and was told told he would only be allowed in 1-3pm and that she had only just extended it for another couple and we couldn't. We wouldn't have booked if we had known this... She said that this was nothing new... We had never been told any different or stopped! Really gutted our break away has now been ruined!

• Stayed: May 2014
RayMckibben, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thanks for your comments on your stay here at Alexandra House,

Unfortunately we do have strict child swim times, this is due to the Leisure Club having a strict over 18 policy, all Swim Times are published on our website and I apologise for any inconvinence this has occured,

Reviewed 24 May 2014

After booking something titled "House" we imagined a roomy country house, but this is in fact a huge conference complex - we needed to take a packed lunch to reach our room from reception. After check-in, we carted our suitcases from carpark to reception then trekked to our rooms - receptionist didn't bother to advise us that the stairwell adjacent to our rooms was accessible from the carpark. (She later grudgingly gave us the stairwell door combination, but only after we requested it.)
The room was beautifully presented and immaculately clean. The bed was very comfortable and a small writing desk was very handy. Ensuite bathroom was a good size and included a bath.
The bar area was convivial, but drinks and food were pricey. The restaurant was too expensive to even consider an evening meal there. We did indulge in the buffet breakfast and the food was great but again over-priced.
Though disappointed with reception staff, who were stingy with their time and information regarding the hotel and offered no tourist information despite proximity to Avebury (conference guests seemed to be their main interest), by contrast, the bar and restaurant were exceptional.
Overall the room was great and well-priced, but next time, I would plan to eat dinner before driving to the hotel, and would head to a nearby town for breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
RayMckibben, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay here at Alexandra House,

All our bedrooms are easily accessible from both car parks and within the hotel. I'm disappointed that you felt the Reception team didn't provide much information, but within our Business Centre we have lots of local information and key places to visit in the area.

Our Restaurant and Bar prices are comparable with other hotels locally, thank you for your comments on the cleanliness of the bedrooms and I hope you would like to return to Alexandra House soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights we had a fab time, we chose a superior room which I'm pleased we did, nice size room. Must say we booked direct with hotel as a better deal was on offer, if you book using comparison sites breakfast is extra but direct it's included, which gives you a better deal. We used the leisure facilities and they are fantastic. I would recommend this hotel and are planning to go back soon.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for you wonderful comments about your recent stay here at Alexandra House, always look at the websites and contact us direct for our latest offers,

We hope you return to Alexandra House very soon,

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stay here every second week for business. The positives - hotel is very clean, quiet and the young staff are well trained and charming. Pool and little spa are nice. Negatives - I hate the decor especially the black polyester bedspreads (personal taste I know) and the gloomy bar area on a lovely spring day but what does rankle is the value of the food and wine. A pedestrian Pinot is £8.55 for a large glass - almost twice as much as I would pay a bottle of this standard. The kitchen must be run by accountants rather than cooks because the food is only just passable at the prices. It's not bad but it's just very overpriced for what it is. It's a triumph of those reality shows where you have to make a dish as cheaply as possible. One gets the feeling every pomegranate seed is counted out. I have just paid £12 for a chicken & cous cous salad really no better (or worse) than Waitrose ready to go lunch pot. I had a perfectly acceptable pasta with cheese sauce the other week but again - the feeling of a bit if a rip-off - the ingredients must have cost less than £1. My advice to management - relax the kitchen financial targets - the Alexandra House would be a better hotel for it.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty much the same. Some face in towards the courtyard and some face out - but all are quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay here at Alexandra House, and for your positive comments on how well trained the staff are, and the cleanliness of the building,

Our Bar Prices are competitive with other local hotels, and I'm disappointed that you felt the quality of food wasn't up to standard, we aim to offer a large variety of food of high quality, I apologise if you didn't receive this on during your stay,

Many Thanks,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed for 2 nights (didn't eat there) and upgraded to a double deluxe room. This was pretty good value in my opinion; everything we needed was there, the room extremely clean, large enough to sit in (and with chairs for the purpose - I've had to sit on the bed in more hotel rooms than I would like to count !), quiet and comfortable. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. This hotel does what it says on the tin, and does it very efficiently. It is a typical conference hotel but manages to raise the bar in comparison with others I have stayed in. Very slick operation, 5 stars well deserved. PS if you're looking for character, this definitely makes no pretences on that score!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
RayMckibben, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay here at Alexandra House,

All our bedrooms are spacious, clean and quiet and I'm glad you received the experience we aim to deliver.

Kind Regards,