On the face of it, a super impressive place in a lovely setting on the downs south of Wroughton on the site of the former RAF hospital. If it were not for a few niggles, I would have given it top marks. The niggles were: on trying to book, the telephone was not answered for hours; the carpet in our room had not been properly vacuumed; although it was a double room, there was only one armchair, and there were soiling stains on the seat from a previous occupant; the illumination level from the lighting in the room was very low even when everything was switched on full; the controls for the bath and shower were very difficult to operate; we ignored the signs saying park at reception to book in before driving to the car park, which was just as well because it appeared that those vehicles already parked there remained there all night. Breakfast was truly excellent, although I had to brush debris off the chair before sitting at the table to enjoy it. A romantic hotel: not sure what to say really, because anywhere is romantic if you make it so! What is it known for? Well, I guess it is a conference centre much of the time, and probably a really good one too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Alexandra House is a modern contemporary hotel, boasting 152 en-suite bedrooms and banqueting, wedding and meeting space for up to 250 people across 22 bespoke spaces, ideally located just 5 minutes from junction 15, M4 motorway. For business guests we are perfectly situated in Wroughton, overlooking Swindon within easy reach (5 mins. drive) to Nationwide - Pipers Way head office, Windmill Hill and Blagrove business parks, home to companies such as Openwork, RWE, BP Castrol, Nokia Siemens, MAN truck and Catalent. Set in 20 acres of landscaped grounds within the beautiful Cotswold countryside, this Wiltshire hotel is a fantastic choice for the discerning leisure visitor, close to an array of world-class locations including Avebury & Stonehenge World Heritage Site, Longleat Safari Park, the Roman Spa city of Bath, Lacock village, home to Lacock Abbey where Harry Potter was filmed, McArthur Glen outlet shopping village and the start of the ‘Ridgeway’, an ancient Iron-Age track, which is possibly the oldest road in Europe. Stone Age man once walked along its route - not only long before the likes of Stonehenge came into being, but even before Britain was an island! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., LateRooms and Evoline ltd so you can book your Alexandra House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexandra House Hotel Swindon
- Alexandra Hotel Wroughton
- Alexandra House Wroughton, Wiltshire