“An excellent hotel”
Review of Alexandra House

Alexandra House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wroughton
Reviewed 10 March 2011

We stayed for just one night in January. We thought the staff were friendly and efficient. The room was very clean and the bathroom and hospitality tray was well stocked. We made use of the room service for dinner, which was great and reasonably priced. The included breakfast was superb. We also used the leisure facilities which were very good. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet2158
Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed 27 February 2011

I read the previous reviews for this venue and felt quite apprehensive about what was in store. I was very pleasantly surprised - we had a great break and enjoyed our stay very much.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was large, very comfortable beds and well stocked with tea/coffee. You could also get hot drinks and biscuits at any time of the day/evening in the bar area. We ate both nights in the restaurant and had good friendly service and a good meal at a reasonable cost (£20 for two courses). I thought that the menu offered a good selection and the wine list was fine. The breakfast buffet was excellent both days we ate there.
The swimming pool was a great bonus for me - a reasonable size for a hotel pool and it was never crowded when I went early evening. It was spotlessly clean and there was a jacuzzi plus steam and sauna rooms and a gym which I didn't use but which looked well equipped to me.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank janeywhite
Reviewed 31 January 2011

What a disappointment!

I have to say for such a great venue you really let yourselves down!

I think that's the worst menu and meal I have ever had in a 4 star hotel. Totally uninspiring! Catch of the day SALMON! who are you kidding. You can not serve farmed salmon as catch of the day! No decent starters. No Steak on the menu! If you want a steak you have to pay £13 for a '6oz' steak and chips in the bar. How mean is that. My room came equipped with just 2 (yes two) tea bags and when I asked for more I was delivered 1 (yes ONE Singular) tea bag!

And what is all this nonsense to get a wifi connection. You advertise FREE INTERNET BROADBAND WIFI but boy why do you make it so difficult to get a connection!
I had to go bakc to reception to get a PASSWORD SCRATCH CARD and then spend 30minutes logging into you system with million questions! Christ I don't have the time and sure most of your guests don't. Whats the problem. it should be straight forward!

Sorry Hayley. You really must try better.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank nclifford
Reviewed 12 January 2011

I booked a special dinner bed & breakfast deal via travelzoo for my husbands birthday.Unlike other reviewers, our satnav took us straight to the door. In the low bushes immediately outside the main entrance was an empty jaegermeister bottle & a bag of rubbish. Check in was quick & easy, reception staff very polite & efficient. Our room was a typical corporate type room, but clean & pleasant. My only critisism being the window was very small making the room quite dark.Wifi was not working, which would be a bigger issue to business guests than it was to us, although we were not told this until we mentioned not being able to get online.The leisure facilities were very good & spotlessly clean.
Dinner was a buffet, included for us,normally priced at £19.95.Starter was just soup. Main course choices were roast beef, chicken in a creamy sauce, fish topped with salsa or a vegetarian dish.( there were salads also)None of it looked very appetising so we both played safe with the beef.Very thick slices, & no gravy other than that which was coating the meat. Vegetables were greasy smashed up roast potatoes, obviously frozenbrussels & sweetcorn together( yuk, thats different!), & carrots.This was all barely lukewarm. The yorkshire pudding was so tough it wouldn't even cut with a knife.I managed to pull mine apart but was not able to chew it at all.
Dessert was a choice of commercially made, thawed frozen tarts/gateaux or cheese.We had a decent bottle of reasonably priced white wine but no wine cooler was available as they were all in use in a function room.I would have been VERY unhappy to pay £19.95 pp for the meal on offer, it was not good.
There were a lot of young women around the hotel, dressed up for a party. They were in an area away from the main dining room & really were no problem to other guests.
However, when the party finished all hell let loose. From 1.30am doors banged, people were laughing & shouting in the corridors & then eventually a group of them decided to continue the party in the room next door to us.The walls are obviously paper thin, I could literally hear every laugh,cough, expletive etc. By 2.30 I had had enough & rang reception to sort it out.
For a vrey short while things improved, although they were still all in the room next door, just a bit quieter.At 4AM, having not yet had my eyes closed I called reception again.This time they dispersed, again banging doors, calling out to each other etc, & clearly 2 very drunk people next door eventually quietened down.
After only 2 or 3 hours sleep we were looking forward to breakfast. There was a reasonable choice, but again, all the cooked items were barely luke warm.
On checkout I asked to speak to a manager, & suggested that in future it might be an idea to house the party people in one wing, & those who actually would like to sleep in the other wing. ( It appeared that an entire wing was empty)The manager assured me this was the policy, but clearly it had not been implemented on the night of my stay because I was surrounded by party people.The result was that she deducted the newspaper & bottle of wine from our bill, but having planned a full day for my husbands birthday, we left the place absolutely exhausted.
A couple of days later I received an email from the hotel hoping I had enjoyed my stay, & inviting me to complete their customer satisfaction survey.I did this, & it would have been very clear that we had not been satisfied, but 1 month later I have not yet been contacted.
Would I go there again? Absolutely not, which is a shame, it is a very nice Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mamahen46
Reviewed 12 January 2011

Stayed for the weekend in this very nice business hotel under a deal which included use of the gym and pool facilities, dinner, breakfast and packed lunch. This is an excellent business hotel with free wifi, good rooms and is very clean. THe facilites there were excellent. My partner booked it as a ramblers weekend but wouldn't tell me where it was, which was a shame as I was unable to research the area for local walks and attractions before hand. THere were about 20 other people using the hotel so it was wonderfully quiet and relaxing. The only downside was when I asked at reception for details of local walks and whether the grounds would be suitable for a jog. The receptionist said she didn't know as she wasn't from the area! A helpful tip for the hotel if it is marketing it as a ramblers weekend would be to have leaflets or some information on the local walks. In fact, it is very close to the Ridgeway trail which is not to be missed, but unfortunately I didn't find this out until my return home, so ate my packed lunch on the banks of the river at Monmouth.......

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravellerUsk
Reviewed 12 January 2011

Booked the room on-line with an extra £15 for dinner two courses. Arrived and checked in fine, lovely room on the ground floor all clean, tidy lots of towels etc, even had a hairdryer! Went for dinner and the menu was very similar to the buffet lunch opted for beef & red wine with mashed potato, beef was very tough even though it said slow roasted, gravy was bisto and mash was lumpy, very dissapointed! The location was deceiving I thought it would be in the country but it was virtually in the middle of a housing estate! Check out was a nightmare all booked and paid on company credit card but for some reason they didnt deduct the dinner, so had to pay for that on departure. Also don't reply on sat nav to find this place.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank ktnanci
Reviewed 3 December 2010

We stayed at this hotel in September as it was the venue for our friend's wedding reception.

We paid £39 a couple including the most amazing buffet breakfast (English, Cereals, Pastries, fresh fruit - just about anything really)!

The whole hotel was spotless, only criticisms on the room is that is was a little compact and a bit hot but for the money we paid you can't really grumble. The bathroom was superb with a fantastic power shower.

We used the pool and sauna too, these were both spotlessly clean and at no extra charge.

Would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kelly_Berkshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroughton
Swindon Marriott Hotel
#1 of 25 in Swindon
Stanton House Hotel
Stanton House Hotel
#2 of 25 in Swindon

Been to Alexandra House? Share your experiences!