“My new favorite place in Zancudo”
Review of Cabinas Sol y Mar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Zancudo
Cabinas Sol y Mar
Reviewed 27 October 2011

The low season rates for the cabins was a pleasant surprise, and we actually didn't find better deals in the rest of our trip along to southern Pacific coast of Costa Rica.

Rick, Lori and the rest of the staff were friendly and very helpful at all times, and even though we only stayed two nights, we were sad to go.

Zancudo is an awesome beach, even though the beach is several kilometers long, we only saw one person all the way to the horizon. I you are looking for a place to relax, in opposition with the crowded, noisy and dirty beaches closer to the Central Valley of CR, Zancudo is the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 April 2011

This was the last place i stayed in on my 4 day solo mountain bike expedition. i was recommended by a friend of theirs. I really think they have something good going on here. the staff is all tico and they have worked there for a long time and seemed very knowledgeable when i asked about activities and the condition of the roads and how to go to other places. i biked from Golfito that same day so i was extremely tired! i loved their big bed in the simple room. its a simple room but it has a warm shower that's always good after a long day of biking. Loved the refrigerator in the room definitely an extra. good price also.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 March 2011

my third time at sol y mar and it keeps getting better! the owners, rick and lori, do an excellent job running this place. it is unfair to call them the hosts, because all the staff at sol y mar are your hosts even the walter the groundskeeper, not just rick and lori. i was lucky enough to be there for rick and lori's 15th anniversary in zancudo, a much anticipated event in zancudo where they throw a party for everyone in zancudo with free food buffet style, it's their way of giving back to the community that has welcomed them. what a great example for other expats to follow! we stayed nearly a month and worked our way through nearly the whole menu and it was all good, i highly recommend the teriyaki kebabs on barbecue night and yoko's steak and eggs for breakfast.
stay at sol y mar and you will make friends! your hosts at sol y mar -
rick, lori, willy, karla, nuria, rosy, yoko, bal and walter run the best hotel in zancudo.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2011

Stayed here with my best friends and we had a blast! This place actually gave me the idea to move to CR! Rick and Lori are the coolest hosts and they make your stay at Sol Y Mar incredibly fun! They know the area, they know everyone, and whatever you want, if its possible they make it happen. It is rustic but that is the charm, you have your own beach bungalow in paradise and the place is not over run with high rise hotels and tackiness. The food, amazing! And incredibly fresh! The bar at night is so much fun with great music all the time! By far one of the best vacation spots for friends to get lost in paradise!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I have stayed at this location for 4 out of the last six years. I have read the reviews. I love this place! Ok Rick and Lori are just a little off beat but they have have always provided a great stay. The cabins's are dated and rough, just what I'm looking for. The beach is outstanding, where else can you go during season and find only five people on the beach. The food is the best you will find in the area and prices can't be beat. Willy, Carla are always ready to help. If you are looking to be pampered or have someone jump when you request something.........go elsewhere so the rest of us can enjoy!!!

Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank casey88
Just_Get_Out_There, Owner at Cabinas Sol y Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2012

All cabinas have been completely renovated.

Reviewed 22 February 2011

Playa Zancudo has to be one of the most beautiful beaches I've visited and walked... and I loved the laid back atmosphere of the small town and the people I met along the beach or along the street. However, as good a deal as Sol y Mar is (and it is), Lori, the owner's s/o has a lot to learn when it comes to hospitality and graciousness! I agree with an older review: if drinking, foul jokes, loud music and bar noise are not for you then Sol y Mar is not the place for you... and you wll be treated completely differently than the other revellers.... each to his own but it's sad when the only negative experience I've had in Costa Rica has been at the hands of an ex-pat!! But don't skip Zancudo - still one of my highlights in Costa Rica...
despite my unpleasant experience with the management I would still recommend this cabina for location +++ only... and Rick, the owner, seems like a nice guy...

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank velepi
Just_Get_Out_There, Owner at Cabinas Sol y Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2011

I had no idea that this guest was dissatisfied. No complaints were made during 2 previous visits and a 3rd booking was made to return the following week, although that last reservation ended up as a no-show, and we were left with an unoccupied cabin for 3 nights.
I must have upset this former guest by chastising her over the phone when she dialed the wrong number some days after the dates booked. We are very adamant about our no cancellation/no change policy during the season, and this is always fully communicated at the time of booking. In this case, we had a verbal promise to honor the reservation. I received no notice of cancellation, and no messages were left.
The stereo at Sol y Mar is small, with small speakers, facing away from the cabins and we have the restaurant and 2 walls of the gift store between the bar and the cabins. The bar can be lively, with smiling, laughing people, and yes, the jokes might not measure up to the yacht-club's standard of good taste. This year, between Feb 5 and 14, we had 5 nights of live music (which this guest specifically booked to come and enjoy). Their country/Americana/folk music is mellow and not one guest has complained about the noise being a bother. The crowds at the restaurant/bar during this period may have given a distorted view of the amount of people we normally host on any given night.
I don't believe I have treated this nor any guest differently because they are not revelers. Owners have the right and responsibility to correct a guest if they are out of line, even though it may result in a vindictive review.

Reviewed 9 February 2011

Fantastic location in sleepy Zancudo where you look out at the sea from the porch of your cabin. Watch picture perfect sunsets from the lively bar (sports on TV and good live music once in a while) where your friendly hosts (Rick and Lori) and the lovely Karla will make you delicious cocktails or serve you ice-cold beer. Big tasty breakfasts, lunches and dinners - you won't want to eat anywhere else. However, there are several restaurants within easy walking distance along the main (dirt) road. Cabins are large with a sofa and table and a cute rock garden shower. Lori & Rick will help you organise taxis or whatever you need

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
0 mi away
Au Coeur du Soleil Cabinas
Au Coeur du Soleil Cabinas
#1 of 4 in Playa Zancudo

Been to Cabinas Sol y Mar? Share your experiences!