“One of my favorite places on earth!”
Review of Cabinas Sol y Mar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Zancudo
Cabinas Sol y Mar
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
“One of my favorite places on earth!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Sol Y Mar is my idea of paradise. Great waves nearby, beachfront bar with great food and great service. Rick, Lori, Karla and Willy are like family to me now. I will return as often as I possibly can. Rick and Lori have created such a great atmosphere, it fits Zancudo perfectly and it is somewhere I will always return. If you are looking for a nice, relaxed, slow vacation in a beautiful tropical rainforest that's "off the beaten path", look no further.

Horseshoe tournaments on Sundays are a blast, the locals are very competitive. If you're around when Rick does a BBQ, be prepared to eat like a king. I can't recommend this place enough!

Room Tip: I have stayed in 3 out of their 5 cabinas, all are great!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joe P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Polk City, Iowa
Reviewed 28 April 2014

It is a place we will never forget and always want to go back to, no matter how many times we’ve been here.

It is well organized. We have never had a problem with booking or transportation to and from Sol y Mar/Zancudo.

Aside from the breath taking isolate beach, it is the atmosphere that Rick and Lori have created here that makes Sol y Mar unique one sets them apart from the rest. The kitchen and bar always run smoothly and provide excellent service. The food & menu is terrific, probably our favorite food in Costa Rica, and the drinks follow suit. Iced coffee, fruit smoothie, or a Bloody Mary for breakfast? – all absolutely delicious!

Rick & Lori are travelers themselves so they know what travelers want & need. They go above and beyond to keep their guests relaxed, healthy, and happy. All you have to do is think about what fun thing you want to do next! Play horseshoes, beach volley ball, shoot some hoops on a cool beachy basket ball court, surf, swim, or body board on a beautiful and seemingly deserted beach, kayak with crocodiles, go for a bike ride, or hang out in a hammock, take a nap or grab a good book from the library at Sol Y Mar.

This place is a gem and one of our favorite spots in the world for the above reasons, but also because the bar/restaurant caters to a cool mix of conversational and laid back travelers and charismatic expat and local patrons with friendly and welcoming staff. Not to mention the magnificent nights of live music right off the beach. We love this place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
West Virginia
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Rick and Lori have created a wonderful atmosphere and Carla, Willie and Bob really help to make sure it all runs well.
The restaurant, the lodging and the bar was definitely first class. The food was great! I did not have a bad meal in the week I stayed there.
Everyone was friendly, helpful and went out of their way to make sure I was having a good time.
The staff and the patrons definitely make visiting Sol y Mar an unforgettable experience!
If you are coming to Costa Rica make sure to visit Zancudo and stay at Sol y Mar!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Went to Zancudo to explore off the beaten path in mid October and by accident fell upon Rick and Lori at Solymar which was one of the only places that was open and also the only one I could see with a bit of character and atmosphere.
We stopped in for a cold one and chatted to Lori making some interesting potato salad for the evening menu. Had a walk around and onto the incredible beach, on our way back to the car we had a look at their cabins. We were so impressed and it was so inviting and clean and tidy we actually ended up staying the night. The Cabins are very basic but comfortable and has everything one would need plus a short hop onto the beach.
We had dinner there that evening and I ordered the chicken wings....my goodness.....now I'm not American, but I do know wings and have had them all over the World, but I can tell you now, these were the Most Amazing Chicken Wings I've had in my entire life!! They should not even be called Chicken Wings but I suggest "INCREDIBLE WINGS"
We also had their Fresh Fish and Pork Chop everything was great and at really affordable prices considering where we were, and oh yes, the Potatoe Salad was a winner!!
Thanks to all at Solymar for a great time, we will definitely be back for more and can recommend this place to anyone looking for a very affordable and comfortable place that has the added personal attention and touch that owners should all give their customers.

........All the way from South Africa........ ;-)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Sol Y Mar is incredible. I was there in the middle of October. The location, the view, the endless beach, the excellent food, and most of all, the people make this place an outright gem. The cabinas are simple, roomy, and very clean. When you open the screened windows, and lay on the bed, the ocean breeze comes through. Read, rest, or just let the breeze take you away. The beach is right there. Miles of it, and no people. I saw one mother jogging with her baby in a stroller and someone riding a bicycle... in a full week. Sol Y Mar is where locals visit, giving you access to many resources that they provide. If you want to arrange excursions of any kind; fishing, cruising the river, whales, birding, a trip through the mangroves to Golfito or across the bay to the Osa Peninsula, the people that run Sol Y Mar and the locals who visit will see to it that you have those opportunities. The owners, Rick and Lori, are gracious hosts who go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and appreciated. They have a staff of wonderful people who work together to make Sol Y Mar very special place. You just cannot beat the quality/price, nor the authenticity of living in the tropics. What a great adventure. I will return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank themjames54
Cayce, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 October 2013

WE only spent a few short days at the Sol Y Mar and we wished we had more time there. It was off season and very quiet but that is just what we were looking for. Black sand beach, a great view of the setting sun, yummy food and pure relaxation. The cabins are simple but comfortable and very cheap. Playa Zancudo is not easy to get to but once you make it you are glad you made the trip. It was an hour and forty five minutes by taxi from the border at Pasao Canoas, or you can fly into Golfito and take a water taxi. It is a remote stretch of beach with more places to stay and to eat than you might expect. We look forward to taking this trip again.

Room Tip: There are only four cabins and a rental house. All the rooms have a great view as they are right on...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bernardoray21
Utrecht
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Cabinas Sol Y Mar is an excellent place to stay to relax, enjoy the beach and hang in the hammocks. The beach is beautiful and the water is nice and warm. The cabinas are located just a few meters from the beach. They are nice, roomy and clean. The staff is really nice. There's live music in the bar at least once a week, which we by the way couldn't hear from our cabin. I would definitely go there again!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Playa Zancudo
Au Coeur du Soleil Cabinas
Au Coeur du Soleil Cabinas
#1 of 3 in Playa Zancudo

Been to Cabinas Sol y Mar? Share your experiences!