“Paradise”

Cabinas Coloso Del Mar
Reviewed 7 March 2013

The full package is offered here. Simple, squeaky clean, comfortable cabinas steps from the beach; hammocks under a palapa to while away the day enjoying the seabreeze; a wild natural stretch of beach extending as far as the eye can see that you are likely to be able to enjoy in complete solitude; an on premises restaurant offering a full breakfast and dinner menu; and a charming host and staff who see to your every need even before you ask.
What more can one expect? In our case, nothing.
We thought it was absolutely perfect. A place seemingly frozen in time.
Can't say when we will be back, but rest assured, we will be!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ed4_vida_rica

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Coloso Del Mar offers basic cabinas with 3 fabulous plusses that make this regular traveler to the tropics VERY HAPPY. 1) big, effective ceiling fans 2) fantastic, full powered showers and 3) the cabins are absolutely bug free, a small miracle in this climate. This latter point could be attributed to Marta's scrupulous cleaning. I stayed here solo for a month and was one happy camper. The setting is utterly serene -- a beautiful stretch of beach with cabins set away from all road noise -- and safe: the staff lives on site. I adored the staff and the restaurant; the latter a charming, screened space with great breakfasts and dinners at moderate prices. John Charles and his longtime workers Eduaro and Edwin are terrific... I left like I had three younger brothers who welcomed me into their home. Really. I loved it here. I'll be back boys.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the beachfront cabinas.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I have visited John and Coloso del Mar twice in the past two years and I'm absolutely in love with this place. John, Edwin and Eduardo are a blast and have become very good friends of mine.

The bar and restaurant has a very diverse menu and I have yet to try something I didn't like. My favorites are the chicken parmigiana and buffalo chicken quesadillas. Breakfast is also incredible. Make sure you try the different fresh fruit smoothies, banana pancakes and breakfast burrito. The restaurant at Coloso is screened-in, which is important at night when the bugs can be bad. A few of the other restaurants are completely open-air and the bugs start to gnaw on your legs. They are closed for lunch, but there are two places nearby to grab lunch. A grocery store is also within walking distance.

Nothing fancy about the cabins, just everything you need. It is also nice that Sandra cleans your room each day and will even wash your laundry!!

The surf is great and the hammock area is elevated with a sweet view of the ocean! The atmosphere and people at Coloso make this place one of my favorite escapes. I think about it everyday.

Room Tip: The cabins behind the ocean view cabins will have better wi-fi reception, but c'mon, you're...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2013

There are 4 Cabinas on the property as well as a restaurant.
My Cabina was spotless with a comfortable bed and lots of hot water in the shower.
Outside I had a private patio area with seating.
Towards the beach there was a wonderful shaded sitting area with hammocks and raised to get the wonderful afternoon breeze. I spent hours there.
The restaurant was great and very well priced.
I left feeling as if I had found a real gem!!!!

Room Tip: Everything is on the beach, and any room is great!!!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CanadianTravellerBC
Reviewed 5 February 2013

For a real quiet time, go to this beach. Nice cabins (two with direct oceanview) with coffeemaker and fresh ground coffee. Hammocks.
Basically, there is almost nothing to do, certainly in these quiet times, because there are less tourists.
If you are driving there, it is best to take the dirt road coming from the Panama border (also cheap gas at the border too 400 instead of 640 C/ltr), as the road from El Bambei is really bad.

Room Tip: Wifi does not work well in cabins that are nearest to the sea. Also due to bandwidth, at night bette...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We loved this place-it will always be a special retreat in our memories. The cabinas are simple, clean, insect free (as much as you can be in CR). Every room has a coffee maker, and the only thing we would have wanted was a mini fridge in the rooms--apparently they rust and weather so easily there, being so close to the ocean that its impossible to keep them in the rooms.

John Charles owns the place and is a young, helpful guy who holds the highest standards of food in his restaurant, cleanliness on his property and making your stay whatever you'd like it to be. His helpers, Edwin, Eduardo, Marta and Nina are all such pleasant people and truly make the place feel like home.

We often have reminisced about our time there hanging out on the hammocks, playing cards and drinking coffee on our porch, swimming in the ocean 100 meters away and feeling like the place is ours! We hope to be back some day soon and can see going to Coloso Del
Mar for many getaways to come.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I can't say enough great things about this little piece of paradise! We stayed in the house on the beach and enjoyed our beautiful accomadations. The house was equiped with anything we needed, including but not limited to the gorgeous view, the lazy times spent reading in the hammocks and the long and peaceful walks on the beach in the early morings. The staff were more than attentive, hilarious, friendly and provided us with amazing meals! We were there over the holidays and were able to enjoy some festive touches both in our rental home and at the restaurant. This was particularly noticed by myself since this was the first vacation I have taken over Christmas and away from family. It truly provided me with a little piece of home. I would highly recommend this place and hope to stay here again one day!! Thank you John Charles....you outdid yourself!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
#1 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula

Been to Cabinas Coloso Del Mar? Share your experiences!