“Mislaloya Jewel!”

Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Mismaloya
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I have been returning to Puerto Vallarta for many years because of the great weather and people. Restaurants come and go so it's very comforting to see small well operated family restaurant succeed year after year even in these difficult financial times. El Jacalito is located on the highway south of PV about 10km past Mismaloya and the Barcelo Hotel over the bridge on the right. The food is always excellent and served piping hot by the pleasant staff. The prices range from about $100-$150 pesos for a complete meal and the portions are generous. The menu includes beef, chicken and seafood dishes. My favorites are arrachera beef and coconut shrimp. They serve lunch and dinner each day and are closed on Sundays. I highly recommend that anyone who wants to have a great meal at a local rustic establishment with Mexican ambiance hop a bus or take a cab from downtown and try this place out. They even have a juke box with Mexican or jazz music to complete the atmosphere. A little jewel in Mismaloya!!!

Reviewed 7 December 2011

Just ate at "EL Jacalito". Correct spelling. Fantastic. Best restaurant in Mismaloya and I have tried them all. I have been living here for 2 months. Didn't even know the place existed until trip advisor. Took the short walk and it was worth it. I had the shrimp cooked 3 different ways. Scampi...breaded and Diablo. At least 8 shrimp of each kind. And these were like 40/50 per pound. So 24 shrimp. Rice...beans...salad...tortilla's . (which were home made.) Of course chips and salsa. All for 110 peso's. 15 peso beer. Talked to the owner Tomas Bautista....cousin of my landlord. Friendly... outgoing...and anything else nice you can say. Would recommend to anyone. If staying at the all inclusive Barcelo....venture out one night and try this restaurant. If you don't like it...my house is right next to the Miramar restaurant on the road to the beach. Tell me it wasn't good. And I will buy you a beer.
Half the price of the beach restaurants and twice as good.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

My dear friends,
My son, Joshua, and I, travel to Mexico a lot !! We are always looking for a great restaurant with great food, at a great price! We found it!!
The last time we visited Mismaloya, one of our favorite areas in Mexico, we heard about a little place that was adjacent to the " Barcelo Puerto Vallarta", in Mismaloya.
We did the short little walk, over the river, by the bridge next to El Eden turn off, or front entrance to the Barcelo Hotel, on Highway 200,and found " El Jacalito".
This is the cutest little place, that is REAL MEXICO! The first thing you see is the outside dinning under the palapas(Thatched Roofs). The little lights light up this quaint, local spot, to make it very comfortable, cozy, and maybe romantic too!
The waiter was beyond friendly, and made us feel like we had known him all our lives! The drinks were huge for the money, and blended from REAL FRUIT!
The menu is very diversified,and the prices are unbelievably low !!! This was the part that got us the most, as many other little places, still seemed to be keyed unto the" Tourist Price"
The food was some of the best that my son , and I have ever experienced in Mexico! Oh, My Gosh!! The lobster was huge, and beyond fresh, as they buy it from the locals that fish there in Mismaloya. You will have the greatest tasting lobster in Mexico, and seafood! All the food is great there, and their kitchen is immaculate!
After going once, we went back again, because we could not find this quality anywhere else. We also told some tourists in the pool at the resort, when they were talking about a birthday dinner, for their friend. They went there, we met them there, they thanked us over, and over, as it was " One of their greatest times in Mexico". We were so happy to make their birthday more delightful.
They must have really loved it, because when reviewing TripAdvisor one night, I ran into a review that mentioned, that a person at the Barcelo had told them about this place" El Jacalito", and they went there for their birthday dinner, and had one of the best meals in all of Mexico! Funny, huh, how great and helpful the reviews can be at TripAdvisor to help others really enjoy their vacations.
To sum all this up, if you miss going to this restaurant, you are missing the epicurian treat of your life!

3  Thank Runa T
Reviewed 2 February 2011

The problem with all the restaurants in this area is with low attendence, the food must be frozen or something. Fish overcooked, fajitas were slimy. It is definitely friendly and convenient, and food is ample, but not the fresh food I enjoy back home in Mexican restaurants.

3  Thank leptopsylla
Reviewed 6 January 2010

e went for lunch expecting good things. The fresh fish is the best thing here, the rest rather forgetable. The "blended" drinks had a few ice cubes as I feel they did not stock a lot of ice as is the usual with the out of the way places. They were not blended and they had too much sugar water in them. Barely any liquor, which isn't a problem, but many like some kick to their maggies. The prices are higher now for what you get. I believe the drinks are $5 & the lunches are all $9. Service is slower than most anywhere, but that is okay too. But good info if you need to know. It is right on the road with street noise, dust, kids, chickens, dogs, deliveries, tire shop next door don't add any glam. They are a walk over the bridge on the right, just a little south of Barcelo. Am not a snob but up the street (east) is Tony's Choza. Now that is the place to go-for dinner after visiting the tequila factory.

2  Thank Vicky-McG