“A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Sekondi-Takoradi
Accra, Ghana
“A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We visited Abuesi beach resort and i must admit the place is just wonderful. A perfect and serene atmosphere with a breathtaking view of the sea. We spent 2 nights there and we enjoyed every bit of it. We cannot finish with this review without mentioning our wonderful experience on the resorts private island . The trip to the island was quite scary since it was our first time travelling on the sea but you can always trust the tour guides to take you and bring you back safely. We recommend Abuesi beach resort to all especially those who need a quite and serene atmosphere.
Stephen and Shirley

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Mondovi, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

We spent here two nights at the end of December.The view from the restaurant terrace is wonderful. Samuel(the owner) and Peter(the manager) are real gentlemen,who let us feel at home. Every request we made they always satisfied it. The rooms are big and the bed is comfortable. If you want to enjoy the beach, it is very close to the hotel.the visit to the fort Sebastian,where Samuel kindly accompanied us,was wonderful.If you want to relax,it is the right place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 692Laura
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Even before stepping foot in Takoradi, I had a warm feeling towards Abuesi. This is because i had called ahead to book a room, having already spoken to Mr Sawyer(owner). After i told him that i had never been to Takoradi before, he offered to come pick us up at Shama junction. (a gesture i felt was very strange even for the supposed "Ghanaian hospitality ).
Myself and my better half got ourselves acquinted to Abuesi beach resort the 1st night we got there. The morning after, we explored the beach at the foot of the hill, after descending a flight of 76 stairs (that is what i counted as i was out of breathe ). The property has immense promise and Mr Sawyer assured me that plans were far advanced to develop the place into somewhat of a spectacle.
The hospitality shown by the owner and staff of Abusei does more than just compensate for the decent but yet very promising nature of the resort. One can hardly complain about the bumpy ride uphill to the resort, when riding shotgun in the vehicle of the owner himself.
The next morning after breakfast on the deck overseeing the beach and island(all property of the resort) Mr Sawyer drove us into town, to have lunch aswell as sightseeing .His witty nature and popularity with the people of Shama and beyond was special( & he is not even a native of the land).
In short, our stay in Abuesi beach resort made us really feel special and the friendship between us & staff of Abuesi will forever be remembered.

Kwasi & Priscilla....

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kwasi g
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Pros: Very friendly and helpful owner, big rooms with A/C, fan and TV, free Wifi, excellent meal, amazing view from the restaurant, remote, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_San_Sebastian is near.
Cons: Was woken up by announcements through the village's loudspeakers at 6:30, food needs to be ordered 1h in advance, kept rolling to the middle of my bed.

Transport is no problem (taxi from/to Inchaban Junction is 1.2 USD (from where you can catch many buses), from/to Takoradi 5 USD).
Didn't use the beach. It seemed empty and maybe 1km away.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

My one night stay at the Abuesi Beach Resort was such a great adventure I extended it to 4 nights. I can't say enough about the place. It was more than a hotel. The staff made me feel like I was home away from home.

Firsts, the facts. The hotel is situated on top of a 30 meter hill overlooking the Bay of Guinea directly above the picturesque fishing harbor of Abuesi, about 1/2 hour by cab east of downtown Takoradi (from Accra, take the Shama Junction which is just a few minutes from the hotel).

On the hotel grounds are 4 guests buildings, each containing 2 one-bed rooms with private bathroom, each with a view of the ocean. My room was excellent; unlimited hot water, uninterupted electrical power, A/C, refrigerator, cable TV, and a very comfortable extra large bed.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner and cold drinks are served in a beautiful thatched roof veranda perched on the edge of the steep hillside. The ocean view is more than 180 degrees..

Samuel Sawyer is the owner and operator. His attention to detail is amazing. Born in Ghana, he spent over 30 years as a banker in Norway. About 20 years ago he began accumulating this amazing property, first the beach, then the hillside, then the hilltop, and finally, he purchased a small island in the bay (more about that later).

Samuel made it his personal goal that I would enjoy my stay there. He offered to drive me in his personal car to the nearby Portuguese Fort Sebastian, where we had a private guided tour. Afterwards, he graciously took me to the nearest VISA ATM so I could stock up on cash. Later that day I ventured down the 99 steps from the hotel to beach for a pleasant and safe walk along the harbor.

The next day Samuel arranged a reliable taxi driver to take me to Nzulezo, a truly remarkable and totally unique 400 year old village of 400 inhabitants built entirely on stilts over water. This was a great lesson in human adaptation, as the village is less than 5 miles from the Portuguese slave trading post at Ft. Apalonia, and the inhabitants of Nzulezo lived safely and securely throughout the slave trading centuries without fear of capture, or possibly even detection.

The third day, Samuel arranged a fishing trip to his small private island. Even though it is less than 200 yards from shore, this required a boat, net, and a somewhat motley crew of villagers to get me there safely and back. It was really quite an adventure. From the restaurant those canoes look so stable. When you get in one, its quite a different feeling. "No problem", came the universal African reassurance from my crew each time the log canoe rolled nearly to the waterline. Sure enough it was no problem. We arrived safely and hung around the small island for several hours while several crew tried unsuccessfully to catch fish with nets. Fortunately a local fisherman sensed an opportunity and rowed out to us with a gunny sack of lobsters. After some quick bargaining I bought about 6 of them for 25 cedi's and we headed ashore to cook lunch at the hotel.

And what a lunch it was. One of the crew boiled the lobsters and I bought several rounds of beer for Samuel and 5 local guys who ate every bit of the lobsters....and I mean everything! All I can say is Abuesi lobster is equal to or better than any Maine lobster I have ever eaten!

On my final day I said goodbye to Samuel Sawyer and his helpful staff of four. It was a truly unique experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Hernando, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We had a group of 8 stay for two days at Abuesi Beach Resort. We all had a very pleasant time. The views from the covered patio are incredible. Samuel, the owner, was very accommodating and gracious. We only ate breakfast at the property and it was very simple, but nice. The rooms are spacious with nice size bathrooms. I would recommend this property to anyone visiting this part of the world.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Phillip L
TAKORADI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Abuesi Beach Resort is located in beautiful area of Takoradi (Ghana). The place is close to the ocean, the view from the room and outside is amazing. You will smile every morning when you wake up in front of the ocean. The Staff are very welcome and helpful, the breakfast is nice, the room is very cosy.
If you are coming to Takoradi I suggest you to come and see this amazing place.

Room Tip: Rooms 5&6 have balcony with ocean view.