“Inflated price.”
Review of Planter's Lodge

Planter's Lodge
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Sekondi-Takoradi
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Having been a regular for two years, I put up with the lacklustre service due to the quality of the fillet steaks. It is not unusual to wait one and a half hours for the food to be served. I was shocked today when I looked at the menu and seen that the cost of all food has increased by 50%. Absolutely ridiculous, we paid for our first drink then left and will not return nor will our company colleagues or clients. Temporary tape was used in the menus to adjust the price increase which is not fitting to a high class hotel. They have achieved the highest prices in Takoradi but do not have the service or quality of food to merit the prices. Avoid unless you are on company expenses and not in a rush.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank joncampbell83
edwardbutt, MD at Planter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Sir,

I am sorry to hear that you have decided not come back to Planters Lodge & Spa. We pride ourselves with delivering 'high’ standards in all aspects of the hotels operation. I can understand your concern with some of the new increased prices on our menu, however if you look closely, the imported items (beef, lamb etc) are items which have gone up considerably.

This is all due to the new foreign exchange policy and heightened importation and VAT charges that have been recently implemented by the Government. Unfortunately these are issues which are completely out of our control.

We hope you reconsider coming back to us and we would be happy to discuss any ideas or thoughts on how we can improve our service to satisfy all your requirements.

There are newer reviews for Planter's Lodge

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have been stopping in here for food once or twice a year going back over 14 years and it has never let me down and I always enjoyed the experience, the food and the service. Keep it up guys as the track record is now set.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Tried booking a one bedroom bungalow with living room. Was told two females or two males cannot share the same bed. I had thought living room sofa would make a bed. They said after considerable pressure that they could put a fold up bed in living room and charge us usd 50 extra per night. So although bungalow is for 2 people they wanted charge us extra. Obviously such rules are not pc and although I would not have shared a bed with my sister, it does make one think their rules are strange. Despite this we had lunch there on Saturday and food was terrific , served well and everyone from our party of 7 were very pleased. It is expensive but worth it. Hotel is not for those physically challenged as steps going down to pool and restaurant does not have any handrails.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DeborahELondon
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Planter's Lodge for 10 days in the summer. I had high hopes for this place, but this was soon quashed when I discovered that neither the WiFi or bedroom AC were working. Reception staff were unhelpful, but eventually I managed to switch rooms after being left waiting in the 'lobby' for an hour. The WiFi was intermittent at best and not suitable for business purposes. The food is generally ok, but service can be slow despite lots of staff seemingly being available. The Garden bedrooms and Executive rooms are pretty small and only have very high level windows. One redeeming feature is that the lodges surroundings are nicely landscaped and the pool is magnificent. Based on my experience the only aspect of Planter's Lodge that is luxurious is the price tag. To top it off I was overcharged by several hundred dollars and, despite a promise upon check out, I still have not been refunded. Numerous emails have been sent to chase this up, but no reply has been received. Extremely poor customer service!

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank FrequentEMEAtraveller
edwardbutt, General Manager at Planter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Sir,

We always strive to provide our guests the very best standards in the hospitality industry in Ghana, 2013 was no exception having been awarded the best three star hotel of the year award for from the Ghana Tourism Authority and the Gold Certificate from the Ministry Of Trade and Industry for excellence in business and financial Services in Ghana.

I am concerned an disappointed that you had such a bad experience at our resort, however I would like to know why your comments were posted at on the 25th of December 2013 when you stayed at our Hotel in July 2013. Also I would like to receive all correspondence with our hotel and yourself concerning the outstanding monies that you claim we owe you.

Once again we would like to apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused and we would like to hear from you at your earliest convenience to clarify any of the above issues.

Kind regards,

Esperanza Mondoza

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed over for a birthday weekend and our first night was comfortable. The food was superb and they even offered to make additional vegetarian options for my cousin. My food was lovely I had Thai fish and potato gratin cooked to perfection.My only gripe was our waitress for that evening was horrible. At first I thought it was just me but it was blatantly obvious that she was being extra polite to other guests. Not sure what that was about but that's my only negative. The next morning breakfast was great. A good continental selection to choose from and was very tasty. I had the pleasure of meeting one of the owners "Edward" who was so gracious and kind and offered to get me a birthday cake. We had a lovely lunch and the wine was great. Our room was comfortable and relaxing in the pool was superb. I had a massage and the masseur was great comparable to the authentic Thai massage. Edward even put on the jacuzzi for us. My last day we used the gym which was clean and had modern equipment and then we indulged in tea and panini's in The Caramel Tea Room which was a pleasant surprise. I love it here and will be telling friends and family alike. Very friendly staff (bar our waitress) and owners. Love the concept it's a treasure trove in Takoradi. Can't wait for my next visit!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Family run hotel, with excellent spa treatments. We spent a weekend there to get out if Accra and enjoyed every minute. The menu in the restaurant was quite restrictive for vegetarians, but after the first night I discovered that they were more than happy to amend any dish to cater for me. The lady in the spa was late despite us having booked an appointment, but she was very apologetic and her massages more than made up for it. Overall a very enjoyable weekend, and one which we look forward to repeating.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Added pictures of the spa/gym and restaurant,the service is downright pathetic,getting the wrong drinks,to waiting 1 1/2 hr for your food that arrives cold,the steaks are still good,prices have gone up all over Takoradi (oilfield town???????)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sekondi-Takoradi
Best Western Plus Atlantic Hotel
Best Western Plus Atlantic Hotel
#1 of 14 in Sekondi-Takoradi
Protea Hotel by Marriott Takoradi Select
Protea Hotel by Marriott Takorad...
#2 of 14 in Sekondi-Takoradi
#9 of 14 in Sekondi-Takoradi
Busua Waves Resort
Busua Waves Resort
#1 of 1 in Busua

Been to Planter's Lodge? Share your experiences!