“A Place to Let Your Hair Down” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nakuru Backpackers Hostel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nakuru
Nakuru Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #34 of 40 Nakuru B&B and Inns
Santa Monica, California
“A Place to Let Your Hair Down”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2010

My friend and I really enjoyed our stay here. We were not on a set itinerary and ended up staying two nights. Like the other reviewer, we had the house to ourselves both nights, so it was quiet and peaceful. The place is clean and functional with a kitchen and hot running water. The mosquito nets were in good shape and everything smelled fresh, despite the humidity in Nakuru. There was reliable electricity for charging camera batteries, laptops and what not.

If you are looking for drinking buddies, you would be better off staying in town as this place is not within walking distance to town - at least a 5 minute tuktuk ride from town.

James, the manager, was helpful in arranging some sightseeing for us and even helped me call my mother in California from our Kenya cell phone. We went on a hike up the Nakuru Crater one day, and found our bearings the other. The best thing about the experience in its entirety was that it felt familiar to me - James is someone I would want to be friends with if he was my neighbor, and walking up the crater on foot was a lot closer to what I like to do in national parks in the U.S. - on foot and off an itinerary, anyway.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

I stayed at this hostel for one night thinking that it was going to be a bit busier than it was. There was only one other person staying there, and although I was given my own room for dorm prices I have stayed in better places for less than 800ksh a night. The beds were ok, although I was glad of my own sleeping bag liner; the place was rather shabby, but there were hot showers which can often make up for any amount of shabbiness! I was told that it was in walking distance from town, but it was far from walkable, although you can get a matatu from very nearby and there is a supermarket down the road where you can buy food to cook in the kitchen. It's not a well furnished kitchen though, so take your own forks. And washing liquid. And maybe bleach.
The only upside for me was the location, being placed right opposite the entrance to Hyrax Hill which is the site I was in town to visit (very interesting, well worth a visit) and you can see Lake Nakuru from the upstairs bathroom window, which you have to peer through, but hey.
Also, I had planned to stay three nights but had no need to in the end, and when I wanted to leave I had to wait around for about an hour for someone to come to pay them, and then he wanted me to pay for the nights I wasn't staying as well. Not the greatest, and even if you're on a tight budget, you can probably find somewhere better in town.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Jestive

Travellers are raving about these Nakuru hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nakuru
Jacaranda Lake Elementaita Lodge
#5 of 7 in Lake Nakuru National Park
No photo provided
Hotel Marvin
#3 of 40 in Nakuru

Been to Nakuru Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!