“EXCELLENT RESERVATION:” 5 of 5 bubbles

Merica Hotel
Ranked #20 of 40 Nakuru B&B and Inns
“EXCELLENT RESERVATION:”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I did a reservation for my boss while in Nairobi on the eve of our safari on 26th n 28th for rooms 514& 515 believe me we were surprise on arrival how secure the room was,especially for VIPs.Not forgetting the warm and charming reception desk.The meals,stewards,chefs did an explenary job,all above our expectations. My boss was very happy especially to Winnie and Rebecca for the excellent reservation they did for us.From my Boss its thumbs up.I hope you will extend the same treatment to other guests.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Duncan N
Dear Duncan N,

We are happy to receive your delightful review. We appreciate your positive feedback regarding our rooms, menu and service. Be rest assured all our guests receive the best attention and care.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I had previously stayed here about a year ago and had a terrible stay. The food disagreed with me - I had a nasty stomach upset, the service was terrible with staff entering my room without knocking, and scarcity of clean linen. Also, my room overlooked a night club, thus I had very little sleep. In spite of communication from the manager to the effect that these would be improved on, I was not planning to stay there again, ever... but was overruled by circumstances.

Thankfully, my stay was much better this time. I did not have any issues with the food this time, staff were courteous, and my room was thankfully on the opposite side of the hotel from the nightclubs, so I actually got some sleep!

Merica Hotel has improved their services, but pick your room with care if noise bothers you.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear KavsX,

Glad you came back and experienced the new and improved Merica Hotel. Thank you for your positive reviews of our menu, rooms and service. Look forward to have you back again.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Had a three night stay with my 8 month heavily pregnant wife.

The good: the hotel is surprisingly quiet despite being smack in the middle of town. Offered good conference facilities, and the room was generally clean. The hotel has a pool and gym which are complementary to residents, and free Wi-Fi.

The bad: We received a rude shock from the receptionist when on the last day, my wife's request for a couple of hours late check-out (she had serious morning nausea, and I had a short meeting to complete) was denied, unless she pays the full daily rate. And the manager wouldn't even come forward to listen.....no effort to engage the client beyond the receptionist.

Most reputable Kenyan hotels compete favorably on infrastructure and service, so, to me, a very frequent traveler, the difference comes in the effort management makes to listen to clients and meet special needs. And the Kenyan society generally accords expectant mothers some hearing, that I know from experience.

So, for me and my wife, Merica is a no-go for a while! First hotel I have rated as poor.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are better....I hear
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank PerryPope
Dear PerryPope,

Trust this finds you well. Much appreciation for acknowledging our outstanding conference facilities. We are saddened that this experience was spoiled by an unfortunate incident at the reception. Do accept our apologies.

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Nakuru hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I am a repeat client for all the three Merica group facilities(Merica, Crater -Lake and Maasai Ostrich Resort Kitengela).I always book directly from the Nairobi office.The sales and reservation team is fantastic and customer friendly.
Thus creating a real professional and positive image of the facilities.keep up the spirit and extend the same to the entire Merica group family.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Benmalasi
OPSMerica, Manager at Merica Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Malasi,

We appreciate your candid and heartwarming review. Our team goal is to ensure that our guests always enjoy their stay with Merica Hotels. Hope to see you soon.

Venice, Veneto, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I booked my friends/collaborators from Italy in this hotel on 1st and 2nd of April 2014. It was mostly a business trip and they enjoyed receiving their prospective clients by the beautiful pool side and the restaurant was very business friendly. I was in all their meetings as a translator and had meals with them too. The food was delicious, the manager actually brought the cheff to our table to understand our taste. The cheff is an artist and very creative. The receptionist Diane was very kind to us and kept charging our iPhones and iPads. Bravi!!!!!!

Room Tip: Junior executive is the best
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
OPSMerica, Manager at Merica Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Lockwoodk,

Thank you for taking the time to post your delightful review. Merica Hotel is happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and are glad to receive your compliments regarding our service, food, personalized service and ambiance. Hope to have you back soon.

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Pool is nice, however you are not allowed to bring drinks from outside, but have to buy them at a high price. Service is also not too fast.
Food is fair. The fries are ok! Also when you are white, there might be Kenyans who just sit next to you to look at you, but also nothing uncommon when you are in the city anyway.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
OPSMerica, Manager at Merica Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Chasi,

We are happy to receive your review. Thank you for your compliments in regards to our lovely pool area and snack menu. Its hotel policy not to allow guests to eat or drink food brought from outside the hotel. Instead we present the delightful "All-day- snack menu" that cater for our guests needs.

Mombasa, Coast, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Went for a business conference in Nakuru and spent one night and day.The hotel is located in central town.Check in was swift with welcome drink.Room was spacious with TV, and mosquito net.No AC provided but Nakuru is cool so this was not a problem.Mosquito net provided though I never saw or heard any mosquitoes.Toiletries well stocked.Meals good with variety.There was a buffet for all meals although there is a la carte arrangement if one s wishes.Conference facilities were good except for the wifi signal strength was not excellent in the conference room.This hotel is ideal for those business guests,conferences and those going to the Lake Nakuru National park.Service was also good as all staff I came across served with a smile and had a welcoming attitude.The negative:I was on the sixth floor room 609 which faces the main street and the loud music blaring from a club across affected my sleep quality.The hotel management needs to complain to authorities to address this nuisance.My colleague who was at the rear upper room facing Lake Nakuru had an excellent nights sleep and a beautiful view of the lake.The hotel also has a nice Gym although I did not go to practice.All in all I would definitely visit this hotel albeit rear rooms facing Lake Nakuru.

Room Tip: rear upper rooms facing Lake Nakuru.Excellent view and quiet night
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
OPSMerica, Manager at Merica Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Munir T,

Thank you for posting your candid review. We are working on a renovation and improvement program that will address the areas that did not live up to expectations. See you soon.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nakuru
Midland Hotel Nakuru
#9 of 16 in Nakuru
Hillcourt Resort & Spa
Hillcourt Resort & Spa
#2 of 16 in Nakuru

Been to Merica Hotel? Share your experiences!