“Budget Hotel with all the basic amenities.”
Review of Chester Hotel

Chester Hotel
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed here for a night after visiting the lake Nakuru wildlife reserve. I found it good after staying in very basic campsite in Amboseli. Our travel agents Africa Home Adventure had booked us here. The hotel is a budget hotel with basic amenities. The double rooms we were given on the fourth floor was clean, had attached clean bathroom with a geyser. The bed had a mosquito net. The bed was comfortable. The restaurant was on the first floor. The food was simple but had options for both Dinner & breakfast.

I would surely recommend this Hotel for 1 night or 2 nights but expect very basic comforts in a clean environment. The rooms service doesn't almost exist but for 1 night our stay was good.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the new building & ask for a rooms on the opposite end of the road as the road...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank shivajimuk
There are newer reviews for Chester Hotel

Reviewed 31 August 2012

I didn't like the wing where we were put up; I didn't like the room; there was no service available. There was no fridge also in the building we were in. Even in main restaurant there was no Ice or cold water available. The new wing across the road where they have restaurant and reception appeared better.
The hotel was a little far from Nakuru town so there wasn't any place to roam around also. In the dark when I went to the general provision store nearby, I felt scared. My room was pretty noisy as the staff and guests who would be in the building would talk and all noise came in clearly.
The morning tea ordered by us cost shilling 150 BUT room service was shilling 200 !!
Thankfully we were there for just the night.
There was ONE major plus point which I must mention and thank the hotel. A camera left by us was found by cleaner and returned to the hotel. When we called up from Masai Mara , we were told that camera was safe with them. For this they must be appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rohinarora
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed here on my way through Nakuru.I picked it as it's out of town.The room was ok facing a housing scheme although I was told I could see the lake.The linen was quite old and I never got to see the sport channel after having confirmed it was there.I enjoyed the breakfast.I would stay again if they can improve on those small things.

Room Tip: Away from noisy town!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We stayed here as a family of four for 3 days. Initial impression was good with very welcoming and helpful staff. Their parking is on the road so staff holds an umbrella for you from car to the door. The room was dated but nothing outstandingly bad, however the bed was old and squeeky and as our windows were to the road side, it was very noisy at night. We had a dinner at the hotel on our arrival - don't do that! We paid a lot and the bill was not broke down (just the total amount), and the menu only was in a waiter's head, so there was no way of checking for what we overpaying. We got much nicer and much cheaper dinner on other days in the town. Breakfast experience was strange - one day there was a conference, so they served lots of various food - nice! Other 2 day there were only few people, and they didn't even have cereal+milk, and other food was a bit short. Overall was very average but I would look for another hotel if I come to Nakuru again.

Room Tip: Choose not the road side and possibly on a higher floor so no mosquitos guaranteed.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Spent two nights at the Chester Hotel in January 2012. Paid KES3,000 a night for two people in a double room with breakfast included. Rooms have a double bed with a net, private bathroom and TV with about 10 channels. A restaurant is within the hotel. The hotel has two sites on either side of General Kariba Street. The smaller of the two sites adjacent to the football field is recommended as it's the quietest. Central Nakuru is about 15 minutes walk or a tuk tuk will cost KES100. Lake Nakuru National Park Main Gate is 5 minutes drive. A small supermarket is nearby.

Chester is a standard budget hotel suitable for anyone wanting a cheap place to stay whilst going to parks and attractions around Nakuru. Cheaper than some of the other hotels in Nakuru, with the Midland Hotel charging KES4,250 and Merica Hotel KES7,700 for bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the smaller of the two sites.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I stayed one night here as part of my safari package. It was located slightly outside the town centre, with little fo do a short walk around - and so is not convenient. Since I only return to sleep, so can make do.

I had a large room (with 3 single beds) at the back, looking down to the football field. It was basic and linens and towels were a bit threadbare. Some light switches wre not working. Bathroom is a tad run down, and can hear people walking and talking at the corridor; but hot water was running,

Again, as part of the package, I had meals in the hotel. The setting of the restaurant, which is the central courtyard, is OK, and was busy during lunch time -- seems to be patronized many white collar workers. Food is average. To that matter, I don't really enjoy the local food during my two weeks tour of Kenya.

I will go for a more central place If I have a choice. But one is just to put up a night, it is acceptable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We stayed here for 1 night as part of our safari. The room was clean, the dinner and breakfast were good with lots of variety.

There were a few small issues with the room, but what you would expect for what you had paid. The main thing is it was clean and safe!

• Stayed: July 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nakuru
Legacy Hotel & Suites
#1 of 53 in Nakuru
Brian's Guest House
Brian's Guest House
#14 of 53 in Nakuru

Been to Chester Hotel? Share your experiences!