“Your one night option in Nakuru” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Cathay Nakuru

Hotel Cathay Nakuru
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Nakuru
Nairobi, Kenya
“Your one night option in Nakuru”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The location is so ideal, central - arrived only to be told the lifts weren't working but they would be by 6pm...promise. The double room felt a bit squashed though...arrived at the hotel at 11pm and the lifts weren't working and the receptionist was clueless. The next morning, 9am the lift was working and by noon, they weren't working again so we figured they switch them on and off...and then we get harassed with calls telling us to leave else we will be charged half board - not once but 3 times...if they had the lifts working then I bet we'd be out of there quicker...
An average experience - they could improve on customer care and not over promise and under deliver.
For around 60USD bed and breakfast felt like the only thing that was worth it was the lovely breakfast and those chicken wings...beautiful.

Room Tip: The lifts don't work all the time so if you have lots of luggage or need to get in and out of yo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nairobi Region, Kenya
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I had a nasty experience at this hotel. I will try to summarize.
-Booked for myself wife and two kids, for one night. I made the reservation early in the AM and was assured of a spacious room + extra bed for the kids.

On arrival, no one bothered to assist us carry our luggage to the lobby, forget that we were +2 children under 5.
-Waited at the lobby for over 20mins.
The room we were given on 4th flr, was by relative standards, small and musty. The extra bed was not available and we were asked to wait. After waiting for 20+ mins, of course the kids used the washroom after the long journey from NBI, We requested for a bigger room and did not get much assistance. So I made a decision to look for another hotel.
I asked to be advised if I could pay a penalty and was told I have to pay the full bill. I requested to see the Manager - A Mr Chirchir - to work out a solution, but he blatantly refused to see me. Asked the guards to ensure that I do not leave the premises. I ended up paying for the room, went to stay at Midland. Will never go back there again. In this day and age, you just don't treat customers that way. When a customer complains they have a point. Best you can do is to listen.

• Stayed April 2014
6 Thank Evans K

Travellers are raving about these Nakuru hotels

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

The rooms were okay!. service decent, accessible & a bit expensive but okay for the place. spent most of the time around poolside conducting interviews, meeting people, business partners. The staff was gentle & were willing to help at every time.

Room Tip: pool side view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Luzon, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

If I am travelling to Nakuru Hotel Cathay is where I usually stayed, the hotel is big and have a lot of rooms, it is a bit expensive but since Nakuru is an expensive place to be so I think it is fair enough.

They have very a big lobby and usually the place is packed since usually meetings and conference are being held here. The rooms are nice and spacious with every room has its own personal fridge, the only down side is the rooms don't have a very good view. And since Nakuru is hot there are no ACU's on their standard rooms and their sliding door on the balcony don't have a screen so you can't open it to get a breeze since mosquitoes will come inside your room.

The only thing I don't really like is that they usually turned off the lift so if your room is on the third floor you will have to take the stairs instead so no need to go to their health and fitness center you will already get your exercise for they only operate the lift in the morning and in the evening only.

The breakfast is good and you can ask for bacon if you want to since it is not being served in the buffet but still you can request for it, they have a lot of variety of foods in their breakfast buffet but if the hotel have only a few guest they will serve you by the plate. They have a small bar near the pool area and their coffee is nice and you can also have your meal served by the pool and even though I haven't tried the pool yet it is always tempting to go for a dip.

The hotel is nice however I wish their staff to work more on their communication skills since they don't always smile but in fairness when I asked them to replace the bed sheet in my room since it smelled funny it seem it wasn't been replaced with a fresh after the last occupant but upon my request they change it immediately.

If I am travelling back to Nakuru definitely Hotel Cathay will be my choice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I came form a bad experience in Nakuru and had a mindset. I found a decent, clean hotel, very apt for business trips. I asked and was given a very early breakfast (5:30 am) by kind and efficient staff and was granted a late check-out with no unnecessary discussion. Improvement area for my taste in baths with tub but no shower

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I was staying here on a business trip twice for each 2 days in Nov 2013. The hotel is situated a bit off the beaten track, which (except for some inavoidable dog barking at night which you hear virtually everywhere in African cities) rather quiet neighborhood. Hotel security is tight and the rooms were tidy and clean. I had a comfortable 4 poster bed with a mosquito net and a fan (no AC, but the temperature was not so high that you would have needed it). The room was equipped witn a small balcony, and the balcony door locked automatically.
The staff was mostly helpful and very friendly, the breakfast was okay and I also enjoyed the dinner at the restaurant.

In summary, I think this is good price for value and I can recommend the place. There is not much of a choice in the mid-range to upper price sector in this town, anyway.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed here while on business in Nakuru. The hotel has a warm and friendly atmosphere. The location is good as its in the city center but on the quite side of the town which is not noisy. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and clean with a balcony that has a beautiful view of the back. The bathrooms are clean but the shower needed better installation as the water was either too hot or cold. The food was okay. I enjoyed the breakfast as there was a lot of variety. There is a nice bar within the hotel. Overall i like the hotel and i would recommend it to anyone visiting a small town like Nakuru. I however find it a bit too costly

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of Nakuru National Park
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Michelle M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nakuru
Midland Hotel Nakuru
#1 of 2 in Lake Nakuru National Park
Hillcourt Resort & Spa
Hillcourt Resort & Spa
#2 of 16 in Nakuru

Been to Hotel Cathay Nakuru? Share your experiences!