“average”
Review of Bontana Hotel

Bontana Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nakuru
Bontana Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Nakuru
Nairobi, Kenya
“average”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Visited Nakuru for Easter on friday 18.04.14 around 12.00noon a friend recommended Bontana for swimming the swimming pool is wonderful warm water but after,when we wanted to bathe bathroom dirty sticking no water was very much disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed in the Bontana for two nights as our tour guide, Alice, went to college with the Bontana's manageress, Sarah. When we first checked in, I thought I couldn't possibly stay here as my culture shock kicked in (I am American and my husband is British). We were given a two-room suite which had seen better days - the built-in dresser drawers lacked some handles, the balcony doors wouldn't lock and there was no air-con. We could also barely eat the tough beef that was provided as part of the buffet lunch. But within a day, I was absolutely hooked on this hotel's charms as I felt we were seeing the 'real' Kenya and not the typical tourist hotel. The hotel provided a fan and each night the mosquito net above the bed was undone so it formed a curtain around the bed - like a 4 poster bed and quite romantic! I had no problem with the shower - I learned to run the water ahead of time so it would turn hot. The Bontana bar is lit by several overhead lights so it is dim twilight but I soon learned to enjoy this ambience - you had your choice of tv screens showing British football games or Kenyan news channels. The buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner were also a cross-cultural adventure. We were often the only Europeans in the dining room or bar, the other guests being Kenyan businessmen or Kenyan couples, all very respectable. The swimming pool, up a separate staircase, was another adventure. It was full of local Kenyans enjoying a luxurious dip so sunbathing and sun loungers not necessary. During the day, the hotel hosted business meetings and there was a noticeboard in reception showing all the charitable work the hotel is engaged in. Is this hotel up to Western standards? Of course not. But is it the 'real' Kenya? Absolutely! We felt totally safe and well looked after at the Bontana. We discovered another classmate of our tour guide in the bar, the manager of the luxurious Sarova Lion Hills, who described the Bontana bar as his bolthole. We would happily return here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel for three nights in September 2012 while attending a seminar in Nakuru. The room was big but old, and in need of some thorough refurbishment. The staff were not quite welcoming, and the general standard of service was wanting. The bath water was always cold and the toilet didn't flush properly. I ordered pork on the first night and it was horrible; I did not have anything else other than the complimentary breakfast which was fair. I would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Moronge O

Travellers are raving about these Nakuru hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 April 2013

This hotel is very outdated. The outside looks okay but the rooms are horrible. We recently stayed there while visiting Nakuru. The food was terrible. It takes along time to get hot water in the shower and sometimes will shut off in the middle of a shower. The tv are the old tube type and you only get two or three channels.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank patsfan156
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nakuru
Midland Hotel Nakuru
#2 of 17 in Nakuru
Chester Hotel
Chester Hotel
#5 of 33 in Nakuru

Been to Bontana Hotel? Share your experiences!