“Lovely setting”

Ranked #7 of 10 Champasak Town B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We stayed in the guesthouse as part of a Green Discovery 3day tour - so we didn't choose it and I have no idea what my room cost, so this is based purely on a guess of what it was worth.

The setting was lovely -we saw a couple of rooms, both looking out onto the Mekong across a little garden. Each bungalow room has a balcony area outside for chilling and admiring the view, and there are hammocks in the garden. The riverside restaurant and bar had a good wifi signal from 8am -8.30pm, and the food was tastier and better priced than another place we tried down the road.

The room and bathroom was clean enough, however the furniture and bedding felt a little tired, but it was ok. We'd have liked a mosquito net given the bug parties going on outside around our balcony light, however with the aircon and mosquito screens over the door and window we actually slept well and awoke with no bites.

The owner seemed very jovial and friendly to us.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LadyPorkins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I rarely take the time to write a review but our stay here was quite disappointing. My wife and I were planning on staying here for 3 nights this past Summer after reading good things about it. To be honest, we were very unhappy with the service and we even had to shorten our stay. The staff is terrible as another fellow traveler already described: slow and unfriendly. We rented one of the traditional bungalows close to the GH entrance and it was unfortunately quite old, dark, dirty and noisy (close to the road). The second night, we moved to a room with a view of the mekong and although the view is nice, the room had a weird smell of insect repellent, dirty mattress and broken AC. The food at the restaurant was not very tasty as they just used too much oil. We tried the fish soup as recommended in lonely planet only to find the overpowering taste of anchovy and a few small pieces of fish. Hard to imagine it got praised by LP… Relaxing on the hammock was not that great as they had 2 big dogs around that kept barking all the time (they were so loud, even at night). On our second day we rented a motorcycle to visit Wat Phou which is quite far and at least 20 minutes away by motorcycle). Again, a bad experience as the owner tried to scam us on fuel! The massage place next door which is run by a French expat was okay. Since she trained locals to do the massage, I have to say that it was not up to par with what I expected for that price range.
Overall, I cannot recommend this place and I cannot understand how it got such high marks. To be honest, our stay at Anouxa GH was a big letdown: it's outdated, smells bad, feels dirty and needs a lot of improvement especially with the staff. Actually, we decided to leave early because of this reason. The owner's son was extremely rude on our last day. Since my wife is of Lao origin, she could translate the insults he was saying about Lao women marrying foreigners... Being in a different country, I remained polite and did not make a fuss out of it. But I regret it now since my wife was deeply hurt by the remarks. This awful experience aside, there are more deserving people and better options in the area.
As for Champassak itself, I would say that a day is more than enough to visit Wat Phou. Actually, unless you like to see Chinese tour buses, I would avoid Champasak altogether. Louang Prabang and Si Phan Don are less crowded and much friendlier.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jim M

Travellers are raving about these Champasak Town hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I first stayed at this guesthouse five years ago and was looking forward to a pleasant repeat visit but was sorely disappointed.
The scowling waitress girls had to be practically dragged from the kitchen to take an order.
When I ordered a soda water and was delivered a vile green super sweet softe drink in an unidentifiable can I drank it but refused to pay the extra cost. Next morning they studiously ignored me so I went up the road for all my next meals.
They got me back though for I had paid cash for the room on check-in as I always do and as often happenbs in such establishments, didnt bother with a receipt. When it was time to check out the manager insisted I pay again! With no receipt and the scabby girls denying all knowledge what could I do?
Definitely walk past this one...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Mark S
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Nicely set up guesthouse with four different groupings of rooms all with different price points. There's the simple and small fan rooms for 100,000 kip (70,000 single) that are set back and face the entrance of the guesthouse. There's also a set of slightly bigger rooms with AC and tv's that were 150,000 but with no views of the Mekong. And another row of rooms also for 150,000 that have large verandahs and are facing the river, have AC, but no tv. And finally, there's some 'luxury' rooms that are set right over the Mekong for 200,000 and I'm assuming all the trimmings. Overall, all the rooms we saw were clean and well taken care of. We chose the 150,000 with the views (and AC) which was worthwhile as we enjoyed relaxing on the deck chairs. It seemed like the simple fan rooms were overpriced for what you get. There were a lot of guesthouses down the road that I know are substantially cheaper, but we didn't check them out as we'd heard good things about the Anouxa. Restaurant had good food at reasonable prices (although in town there were again cheaper options). One last thing to mention, the town is probably not as quiet and quaint as when it was last written up in the guidebooks. The main road is paved now and there was a fair bit of traffic passing through (although that might have been exacerbated by traffic being diverted from the main highway) which I think detracted from the slow pace of life here.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Stayed here for three nights last month and went all-out for the corner room -- nice & big, with a private porch overlooking the Mekong. Despite being a little on the grungy side (plus loads of bugs!) we thought it was definitely worth it.

The guesthouse is a ways from the 'center' of town, which was a bit of a bummer, especially since the restaurant seemed uninspiring, so we ended up walking out for dinner every night.

All in all, it's a pleasant place, quiet and calm, with hammocks strung in the trees overlooking the river. The staff was very sweet and accommodating. Having walked through a few of the other places in town, I definitely think this is one of the best options in Champasak. Plus, the spa is right next door!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Cumbria, UK
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Nice enough place – maybe we were just unlucky with the noise from across the river. It started about 8pm and went on until 2am. It wasn't so much noise as the vibration of the furniture in the room – it was just impossible to sleep through it. Yes, it was Saturday night and, to be honest, I doubt that anywhere else in Champasak would have been any better – but be warned that you may not feel that rested if you stay overnight in Champasak.
The room was fine and the terrace overlooking the Mekong was mighty fine – the dawn the next day was spectacular, even if we were too tired to fully appreciate it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Ny, NY
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Very lovely setting. Friendly service but with a tendency to mark-up services a fair amount. Not cheap, but probably the best option intown.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo