Anouxsa Guesthouse
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Inthira Hotel(Champasak Town)
Very Good 4/5
La Folie Lodge(Don Daeng Island)
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
The River Resort(Champasak Town)
Excellent 5/5
Average 3/5
Very Good 4/5
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Was here for two nights and its located right beside the river. The staffs are not really friendly when you need help or information about places. The restaurant is mediocre - eat elsewhere if you can but you dont really have much choice as it is located 1km from the town area - which is dead. It opens at 8am to 8.30pm only! Rooms - basic with fan from 70, 000 kip. Its not too bad except their water could use a little bit more pressure.

Room Tip: the front rooms facing the river are more expensive but spacious
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mtcy
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We stayed in the guesthouse as part of a Green Discovery 3day tour - so we didn't choose it and I have no idea what my room cost, so this is based purely on a guess of what it was worth.

The setting was lovely -we saw a couple of rooms, both looking out onto the Mekong across a little garden. Each bungalow room has a balcony area outside for chilling and admiring the view, and there are hammocks in the garden. The riverside restaurant and bar had a good wifi signal from 8am -8.30pm, and the food was tastier and better priced than another place we tried down the road.

The room and bathroom was clean enough, however the furniture and bedding felt a little tired, but it was ok. We'd have liked a mosquito net given the bug parties going on outside around our balcony light, however with the aircon and mosquito screens over the door and window we actually slept well and awoke with no bites.

The owner seemed very jovial and friendly to us.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LadyPorkins
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I rarely take the time to write a review but our stay here was quite disappointing. My wife and I were planning on staying here for 3 nights this past Summer after reading good things about it. To be honest, we were very unhappy with the service and we even had to shorten our stay. The staff is terrible as another fellow traveler already described: slow and unfriendly. We rented one of the traditional bungalows close to the GH entrance and it was unfortunately quite old, dark, dirty and noisy (close to the road). The second night, we moved to a room with a view of the mekong and although the view is nice, the room had a weird smell of insect repellent, dirty mattress and broken AC. The food at the restaurant was not very tasty as they just used too much oil. We tried the fish soup as recommended in lonely planet only to find the overpowering taste of anchovy and a few small pieces of fish. Hard to imagine it got praised by LP… Relaxing on the hammock was not that great as they had 2 big dogs around that kept barking all the time (they were so loud, even at night). On our second day we rented a motorcycle to visit Wat Phou which is quite far and at least 20 minutes away by motorcycle). Again, a bad experience as the owner tried to scam us on fuel! The massage place next door which is run by a French expat was okay. Since she trained locals to do the massage, I have to say that it was not up to par with what I expected for that price range.
Overall, I cannot recommend this place and I cannot understand how it got such high marks. To be honest, our stay at Anouxa GH was a big letdown: it's outdated, smells bad, feels dirty and needs a lot of improvement especially with the staff. Actually, we decided to leave early because of this reason. The owner's son was extremely rude on our last day. Since my wife is of Lao origin, she could translate the insults he was saying about Lao women marrying foreigners... Being in a different country, I remained polite and did not make a fuss out of it. But I regret it now since my wife was deeply hurt by the remarks. This awful experience aside, there are more deserving people and better options in the area.
As for Champassak itself, I would say that a day is more than enough to visit Wat Phou. Actually, unless you like to see Chinese tour buses, I would avoid Champasak altogether. Louang Prabang and Si Phan Don are less crowded and much friendlier.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Jim M
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I first stayed at this guesthouse five years ago and was looking forward to a pleasant repeat visit but was sorely disappointed.
The scowling waitress girls had to be practically dragged from the kitchen to take an order.
When I ordered a soda water and was delivered a vile green super sweet softe drink in an unidentifiable can I drank it but refused to pay the extra cost. Next morning they studiously ignored me so I went up the road for all my next meals.
They got me back though for I had paid cash for the room on check-in as I always do and as often happenbs in such establishments, didnt bother with a receipt. When it was time to check out the manager insisted I pay again! With no receipt and the scabby girls denying all knowledge what could I do?
Definitely walk past this one...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Mark S
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Nicely set up guesthouse with four different groupings of rooms all with different price points. There's the simple and small fan rooms for 100,000 kip (70,000 single) that are set back and face the entrance of the guesthouse. There's also a set of slightly bigger rooms with AC and tv's that were 150,000 but with no views of the Mekong. And another row of rooms also for 150,000 that have large verandahs and are facing the river, have AC, but no tv. And finally, there's some 'luxury' rooms that are set right over the Mekong for 200,000 and I'm assuming all the trimmings. Overall, all the rooms we saw were clean and well taken care of. We chose the 150,000 with the views (and AC) which was worthwhile as we enjoyed relaxing on the deck chairs. It seemed like the simple fan rooms were overpriced for what you get. There were a lot of guesthouses down the road that I know are substantially cheaper, but we didn't check them out as we'd heard good things about the Anouxa. Restaurant had good food at reasonable prices (although in town there were again cheaper options). One last thing to mention, the town is probably not as quiet and quaint as when it was last written up in the guidebooks. The main road is paved now and there was a fair bit of traffic passing through (although that might have been exacerbated by traffic being diverted from the main highway) which I think detracted from the slow pace of life here.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple