“Quirky”
Review of The Durant Arms

The Durant Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ashprington
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I spent the first few minutes in my room saying to myself 'how odd' but after a while decided it was quirky! Tea/coffee making was in a kitchenette on the ground floor with a cosy small lounge area. There was no opportunity to make a cuppa in my pyjamas in my room. However there was the rare delight of a proper teapot and fresh milk so this more than made up for a little trip downstairs. The room was warm, clean and cosy, if a little tired and dated, but the bed was cosy and very comfy with sheets and blankets. The ensuite was clean and a good size with plenty of towels.
Breakfast was well cooked and asking for a slightly earlier breakfast was no trouble.
Unfortunately I booked this hotel for a business visit to the area and had been persuaded to make the booking by the reviews on the restaurant. Despite booking a few weeks inadvance I was only informed the night before that there would be no food on the night I stayed. This was very disappointing.

Room Tip: Check to see whether the pub is serving food.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Durant Arms

Reviewed 11 December 2012

We had been recommended to stay at The Durrant Arms by people who had been there some years ago. Sadly, we were to be disappointed for our one-night, Saturday stay in November 2012. The room was reasonably well-appointed and visible surfaces were clean; looking behind, under and above those areas was less pleasing. Our room had a large bath but sadly - on both occasions that we used it - the hot water ran out before the bath was half-full. The electric wall-mounted heater in the bathroom lasted about 20 seconds before it cut out. Our hopes that dinner would be good were also dashed. The bar/dining room was cold and uninviting. Much of the menu 'was off' and if you didn't like fish, the only choice left was duck. The quality of what food that was available was of a good standard. However, of the 3 or 4 other parties in the restaurant at the same time as ourselves, all had reason to complain (cold plates, food dropped by waitress etc). Breakfast the following morning was fairly uninspiring and the sausage that I was offered was probably the worst that I have ever had the misfortune to try to eat. Overall, a huge disappointment.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Splin
Reviewed 3 October 2012

...you will love this hotel. And the next door table said their steak melted in the mouth. In fact I could have spent a week here and enjoyed a different meal each night. Superb chef. Such a shame the veg were a bit boring and the same every night.
The service is excellent and the staff and owners, friendly and caring. So the fact that the staff appear flustered and apologise profusely when there is nothing wrong is out of place.
Our room and bathroom were spacious. The setting close to the Dart river and estuary is quiet.
The price we paid for our four nights was the bargain of our year. It possibly reflects the fact that the decorations, though clean, are a little dated. And what is that sweetie machine doing in the reception area?

Room Tip: We stayed in Richard Durant which was excellent
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed for four nights and were treated to some good old British hospitality, for Patrick, Lynda and Michael nothing was too much trouble. The Durrant Arms offers a warm welcome to everyone that stays there. The menu choices in the restaurant were very good value with ample selection of both meat and fish dishes. We will definately be making a return visit soon.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

We were really hopeful that this lovely old pub would have great food but after ordering my scallops and black pudding which arrived lukewarm and the rump steak which was ordered very well done, arrived pink . The scallops were superbly fresh and I explained to the owner quietly and he went off to the kitchen ,arrived back to inform me that I was mistaken and the food was blazing hot when it left the kitchen ,, I can only assume it had been sat on the side while the other 3 dishes were plated up. After a while I had to ask for a sandwich in the absence of anything else being offered as I did not want my original meal back warmed over.Breakfast consisted of very undercooked bacon 1 piece 1 burnt sausage ,egg, mushrooms, tomato. Again unable to eat and sent back almost complete .I can only think as I had ordered the scallops as a main instead of a starter they were cooked and hung around until the others starters had been eaten .
The accomodation was spotless and rooms were very comfortable and very good value
I really hope the chef can overcome this blip and take this as positive criticism

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mark J
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayed for three nights in September our first visit to south Devon for many years.We were greeted very warmly indeed . We had the twin room and it was ideal.a very good size and with a large bathroom .Everywhere was spotlessly clean.Patrick and Lynda are a great couple and deserve to do very well at the pub.Nothing was to much trouble for them at all and they made us feel so welcome.The breakfasts were excellent as were the evening meals .The location was really good total peace and quiet away from the rat race! But a car is needed to get about.Would recommend without hesitation ..

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Travelling along the beautiful countryside of Devon, through narrow windy country lanes, before me the lane opens out into a lovely rural setting, nestled in the sleepy village of Ashprington with a 16th century church is the Durant Arms. It has an old wordly feel, Patrick and Linda who run the hotel are a lovely couple, friendly and accommodating, so too are the rest of their staff. Daily papers and post is delivered each day to the hotel for the locals to collect. My room had an old worldly feel, leaded windows, light and clean. No street lights so its quite black outside at night. A car is essential for travelling about but if you like walking the countryside you wont be disappointed.

Hope you enjoy it I know I did, so relaxing.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet but you do get some slight car headlight reflection throught the curtains in the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashprington
Best Western The Dartmouth Hotel Golf & Spa
Royal Seven Stars Hotel
Stoke Lodge Hotel
Stoke Lodge Hotel
#5 of 6 in Dartmouth

Been to The Durant Arms? Share your experiences!