“Nice pizzas”
Review of The Fortescue Arms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Allington
The Fortescue Arms
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We were staying at nearby Pitt Farm and so decided to stop in for dinner at the Fortescue Arms following a day out. When we entered, we were told that they only serve pizzas on a Monday because it's the chef's day off and that they didn't serve for another half an hour. However, the barman (whom I assume was also the proprietor) said that he could try to prepare things quicker if we wanted to wait.

We decided to take the chance and wait. Good decision. The man at the bar continued to be extremely helpful. Seeing that we were trying to sort our two year old out, he made the effort to come over and take our drinks order and then brought everything over so that we could just focus on our child. This might sound like a really small and simple thing but, in my experience, this sort of considerate service is not necessarily the norm in other establishments! Major bonus point in my book.

Our order was taken a good twenty minutes before the opening time, so it was nice that the effort was made to keep our custom. As we waited, we were also pointed in the direction of games and toys provided for little ones. Again, it sounds little but this kept out son occupied - he loved playing with the Connect 4! The food was then brought to us pretty quickly to be fair and I have to say that we all enjoyed our pizza.

All in all, a very positive experience really.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PStyles82

Reviewed 15 July 2013

My Husband and I and a friend had a lovely meal at the Fortescue Arms last night, the food was very tasty and well presented. We ate outside in the gorgeous peaceful garden and had a very pleasant evening, Holly was very attentive and friendly, we will definitely be making a return visit soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue A
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We chose the Fortescue Arms from the 2011 Good Pub Guide and were not too sure how up to date the entry was. We ate outside on a Sunday evening during the very hot spell in July 2013. The service was excellent, the staff very friendly and attentive and the food was superb at a very reasonable price, especially compared with the overpriced restaurants nearer the coast. We can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: We only ate hear.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StuartT1943
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My husband and I enjoyed an outstanding dinner at the Fortescue last night. Beautiful presentation and excellent quality together with attentive, friendly staff. The desert was especially wonderful, chocolate to die for. Would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia G
steve6865, Manager at The Fortescue Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Thank you to all of you for the great comments and feedback that has been posted and hopefully see you all again soon. Regards Steve and Michelle

Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

I was one of the 12 in the hen party that visited the Fortrscue Arms for Sunday lunch following a very busy weekend!

The landlord and landlady couldn't have done any more to make us feel welcome and valued as customers!

The roast beef was to die for and the vegetables, gravy boats and Yorkshire's just kept on coming!

The bride to be was presented with a complimentary liqueur and a lovely decoration on her dessert plate. We also mentioned that we were going to be holding our own version of prize bingo back at our accommodation and the landlord presented us with a bottle of wine for one of our prizes!

I will definitely go back for a Sunday lunch - it will be worth the trip down from Exeter - my mouth is salivating just thinking about it!

I honestly cannot recommend this place enough x

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 20 May 2013

what a faqntastic wind down to a very busy weekend celebrating a friends hen weekend. we rang the day before to book for 12 - 15 to ensure we could be accomodated. after a pleasant short walk from Pitt farm where we were staying we could not have recevied a warmer welcome. the new landlord and landlady were so friendly and more than happy to accomodate us.

the food was top notch and plenty of it!!! the desert to die for.

we were made to feel very welcome with some unexpected extra touches for the bride to be.

it was the perfect end to the perfect weekend and we will certainly be heading down for sunday lunch again!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2013

To close my hen weekend spent at Pitt Farm we took the opportunity to have Sunday lunch at The Fortescue Arms yesterday. There was 12 of us and we did call and book the night before to reserve the table but it was quite clear the welcoming landlord would have accommodated our every need. The attention to detail and decor of the pub is second to none. When our 12 roast beef's arrived at the table there was silence from each of my companions, taken away by the quality of food, and as for the taste this was the quietest my girls had been all weekend. The landlord's presented me with a complimentary liqueur which enhanced the flavours of our amazing puddings to... I have no hesitation in returning to The Fortescue Arms and cannot compliment you enough with your attention to detail. First class!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Been to The Fortescue Arms? Share your experiences!