Flear Farm Cottages
TripAdvisor
Thurlestone Hotel(Thurlestone)
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsplay barnbarney and camillaflear farmsteam roomhot tubyoung familyswimming poolclimbing frametennis courtsfantastic facilityfantastic playcutlery and plateshigh chairsingle lanebbq areajust returned from a weekfortescue arms
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a week at Flear country cottages, we stayed in Barn Lodge, which was lovely.
Lovely setting in the middle of nowhere the owners have only been there two months, they gave a very warm welcome and were on hand to deal with anything throughout the holiday in a very friendly way, which made the service more personal.
The playbarn was amazing the only problem we had was trying to get our 3 year old out of it. Lovely swimming pool and hot tub. Due to the lovely weather and time spent on the beach we did not get any time to spend in the beautiful grounds.
Can't recommend it highly enough for families. We will be returning next year.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 29 June 2013

My wife and I , our little boy who's nearly 3 and his grandparents from Hong Kong stayed here for 4 days in this lodge. We had a very enjoyable time, young and old all loved it here. The owners Camille & Barney were very welcoming. It was a nice touch to find tea, cakes and flowers as a welcome gift.

Linhay was well furnished and spec'd. There was a cot, high chair, stair gates and some toys for my little boy. Kitchen had everything we needed to cook family meals. You also have your own private drive to park your car.

The play barn was very well stocked with slides, a large play house, table tennis table and other toys which my little toddler loved.

There is a good sized heated swimming pool which I was surprised to find was open 24 hours a day.

Any shortcomings? There is no mobile signal here, so depending on your point of view, it could be seen as a boon to get away from it all! There is Wi-Fi though, but we didn't use it.

Also the narrow and twisting lanes on the approach to the site, but you soon get use to it after a few drives. To get to/from Kingsbridge, I found the drive from East Allington village easier than via the Buckland Hotel.

It's a lovely countryside setting that we would re-visit and recommend as being child friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband, 1 yr old son and I stayed at Flear in early June, when the new owners had only just moved in. Before we went, I was a little apprehensive when I saw that the property had changed hands, but my fears were totally unfounded. Barney and Camilla were extremely welcoming and friendly, and they did everything they could to make sure that our stay was relaxing and enjoyable. The facilities at Flear are great and very child friendly. Our son loved the playbarn, where he played with Barney and Camilla's son Roo, as well as the pool and hot tub (children must be supervised in the hot tub but there's no age limit!). The cottage was kitted out with stair gates, a high chair and cot, and our terrace was safely enclosed. Although our son is very young, Flear would be a good choice for families with children of any ages; as well as the pool there is a tennis court, pitch and putt course and playground, and the play barn has things for kids of various ages (swings, trampoline, baby toys, table football, pool table etc). The cottages themselves are quite remote, but it isn't really very far into Kingsbridge, and Totnes, Salcombe and Bigbury are all within easy day-trip (or half-day-trip) distance. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend Flear, and will go again if we can. It is a little on the pricey side, but they do say you do get what you pay for, and in this case, what you pay for is great!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Cathyfin
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We have just returned from a week in Stable Cottage at Flear Farm Cottages. I can thoroughly recommend this little complex of cottages, which include the use of a heated indoor pool, sauna and hot tub,which every evening we had to ourselves. Along with a very well equipped play barn. Set in the lovely rolling countryside of the South Hams, which we already know very well. The Stables was well equipped from the kitchen to the bathrooms & bedrooms with white bed linen and lovely towels. I knew just a few weeks before arriving at the cottage that Camilla and Barney had taken over Flear Farm Cottages and I was a little concerned but I have to say they were totally unfounded. Both Camilla and Barney were extremely helpful and welcoming. I know they have some plans to improve Flear and I and my family wish them lots of luck in their new venture. We do hope to return to this ideallic place and cannot recommend it high enough.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Valerieis1
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Lovely weekend break with the family in the gorgeous setting of South Hams Flear Country. Once you navigate the narrow, twisting and unnamed roads you pull into the property and it's quite simply idyllic - lovely streams, bluebell fields, meadows - classic picture postcard stuff ( no views of the Hams as nestled in a small valley.) Very warm welcome from the new owners and they genuinely make you feel that nothing's too much effort to make the stay enjoyable. Ignore all the previous Tripadvisor comments!
Positives are; a great base to explore the surrounding area, awesome stargazing, fun-house, swimming pool, snuggy cottages.
Negatives are; some cottages are very close together, the kids need to be "self-starters" to enjoy the best of the venue, tough to find a shop for milk and papers etc, steep paths for elderly folk and just be a touch careful with the pool being deeper than anything you'll be used to as a kid (somewhere like 8 - 10 feet at the deep end).
Overall a great experience and we'd happily go back.

Room Tip: Look at the location map on their website - if the properties look close then they probably are! I'm sure they'll start putting welcome hampers together but in the meantime take break, milk, sugar etc.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family