Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa
  • Restaurant
The Bull(Ditchling)
Blagdons Manor(Southwick)
View Hotel
All reviewstennis courtssit down mealsunday roasthaddockflat roofwedding venuesteam roomlovely lunchfull body massagehealth clubfunction roomglasshouse restaurantsussex countrysideenjoyable stayglass housechecking outwickwoods country club
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed here on business in June. Easy to find and in a lovely setting. Although very little reception for mobile phone. Room was quite small but nicely decorated and clean. Tiny bathroom with an exceptionally noisy toilet. It used a saniflo system which was not the best to be honest. The room did overlook the tennis courts and gardens which was nice and very quiet on the evening. Parking was free and there was plenty of it. Spa facilities were excellent. I had a couple of beauty treatments which were rather expensive for the level/quality, however I feel this is probably due to the fact that the girl was not the most experienced. She was very friendly though and completely professional. I had an evening meal which was delicious. Breakfast was too slow really and the service could've been improved. I think overall the emphasis at Wickwoods is on the leisure facilities rather than the hotel experience.

Room Tip: There are only 7 rooms and I think most are of equal size. However the website doesn't give much away so if you do require more space I would ring in advance.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SunniHull
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Thank you for providing such a balanced and informative review. Overall it sounds as though we failed to meet the high standards we seek to achieve during your stay. Room 2 is our smallest room and I, am sorry one of the larger and better appointed rooms was not available at the time, it also sounds as though our junior therapist carried out your treatments. Overall it seems you were provided with a minimal level of service particularly given the slow breakfast. In the first instance please accept my apologies in respect of your overall experience; I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade on your next stay to one of our luxury rooms and a complimentary treatment. Please contact me at your convenience to arrange this. Once again thank you for providing such a fair review as well as providing us with the opportunity to consider how we can ensure future guest enjoy a better overall experience.

Lee Goossens MD

Reviewed 12 June 2013

A romantic break away in the lead up to our wedding. A gorgeous place to stay with lovely spa facilities, good decor and very comfortable bedrooms. A good range of treatments too. We didn't dine there but had drinks on the terrace in the sunshine and walked the grounds. Even though the facilities are open to members it wasn't busy enough to spoil our enjoyment. The only negative was the limited bar drinks choices and lack on iron and ironing board in the room.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for providing a review , I’m delighted your enjoyed your overall stay. Ironing boards and irons are available on request from reception, if you were given a different impression then please accept my apologies on this. With regard to the limited choice of drinks we generally keep a fairly comprehensive stock of premium wines, larger, beers and spirits. I would be most grateful if you could let me know what you felt was missing in order we can make sure this is stocked for your next stay. By way of a thank you for bringing this to our attention provide you with a drink on the house when you next visit.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

I write this as a relatively new member of Wickwoods Club, having been a Virgin Active member for years. I have not stayed at the hotel as I live quite locally.

From my initial visit to tour the club I was very impressed with the attitude of the staff and very welcoming attitude. Liliane is always extremely professional and doesn't laugh when I get lost pretty much every time I go in and constantly swipe with my card incorrectly!

I have been training with Tom now for a month, and I have to say he is brilliant, very patient with me,but also firm which I frankly need. He is an asset to the gym and one of the best personal trainers I have ever had.

The grounds are truly beautiful, and it was great to just sit outside and relax in the sun this week. The pool is great and I am a regular visitor to the gorgeous spa pool /sauna/ steam room - always lovely and clean. I had a pedicure and massage in the spa, very impressed- lovely beauty therapists, chatty but still very professional.

The restaurant and bar area is ideal, staff are very attentive and everything I have eaten is top quality food. The service is very good, staff greet you with a hello, always nice after a work out.

I do not regret my decision to join Wickwoods at all, love it there. One good friend also joined last week, and I think another will next week. Thanks all.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

I can not tell you how delighted the entire team are you are enjoying the service and facility here at Wickwoods. We are very grateful for you having written a review. If we do ever fall short on expectation or service please do let me know.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

I am an avid gym goer and having trained strongman, mma and bodybuilding over the years, the calibre of gym and its equipment is key to what I am looking for. Ignoring the fantastic location and grounds the gym at Wickwoods has an excellent range of facilities. Plenty of cardio equipment and will a bench and smith machine with up to 220kg of weight it is more than enough for most. The gym team are a credit to the gym, always greet you personally and make you feel welcome. I've done a few of their classes and rally are a proper workout. Good work lee, you have a quality gym for all users.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Seb B

Thank you for having taken the time to write a review I know the team in the gym will be delighted you are enjoy the facility and service they are providing. If we ever fall short or you feel there is something we can do to improve the service or facility please let us know.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Dear Lee and staff,

Just thought I would leave you another TripAdvisor review after the one I left you the first time we visited.

My wife and I had a great stay at Wickwoods on Friday 10th May. Room No.7 was amazing with beautiful views over the gardens and tennis courts. We particularly like the balcony and spiral staircase leading down to the bar, very handy! Very comfortable bed a rarity in hotels nowadays.

The staff and service and the Wickwoods is exemplary. As usual we had an excellent fully cooked breakfast with fresh coffee from the espresso machine ( a nice touch by the way!).

The only disappointment was having to leave, the next time we stay we shall book much further in advance and for at least 3 nights. Highly recommend to anyone who is flying into London Gatwick as it is close by with car, about 20 mins from airport and offers a relaxed and first class mini retreat in a tranquil setting.

Thanks again,

Kinlay and Kirsty Francis

Room Tip: Go for Room 7, it has great views over Wickwoods gardens and tennis courts. Also has its own balcony and spiral staircase.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Thank you both for the lovely review and your highly valued repeat business.

I know the staff will be delighted that you enjoyed you stay with us again and I will ensure your review is past on to them.

Please do email me personally the next time you are intending to visit the club so we can meet you on your arrival personally.

Best Regards Lee Goossens