“Great improvement”

Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Albourne
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have been a member of Wickwoods for many years and have seen great improvement in the last two in all departments. It is nice to see Lee involved in all improvements, the other day in gumboots in the grounds. Having suffered a stroke recently I have involved myself in a fitness programme in the Gym under the excellent guidance of Tom who worked out a suitable routine for me and advice on diet etc. I am looking forward to the new restaurant which is being built, another excellent improvement.T
My only small gripe is that not being a tennis player I can't use that major club facility but it is included in my fees, it would be good if they offered non tennis player membership

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for having taken time to provide the club with a review and am delighted you are pleased with the improvements.

With regard to the tennis we actively encourage all members to give tennis ago, there is an excellent tennis program which caters for complete beginners of all level of fitness and there is a lovely social side to this aspect of the club. All members are offered a free tennis induction and we hold a meet the coach session on the third Saturday of each month at midday which is directed at beginner alongside multiple other beginners session throughout the week. Having attend the meet coach session members are sent a free tennis coaching voucher. I hope you will consider trying the tennis out the facilities and coaching is some of the best in Sussex.
I note your comment about a stroke and Tom or Chris would be able to advise you when you would be able to consider giving the tennis a go.

Once again thank you for sharing your views.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Good service, good food, lovely setting. The rooms I booked for a family wedding were a good size, clean and the beds very comfortable. There was plenty of selection on the menus and my family were made to feel very welcome.A late check out allowing everyone to get ready was readily available. Thanks Vanessa!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for providing a review of your experience.

The team at Wickwoods always feel very privileged to be chosen by a bride and groom as their preferred wedding venue for their big day and take the responsibility of delivering the best possible service very seriously.

We are delighted you enjoyed the day and as a thank you for providing a review we would like to invite you both for dinner on your first anniversary in our new dining area ( The Glass House ) which is currently under construction.

Best Regards Lee Goossens

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We are members of wickwoods, and use the gym, pool and spa regularly. The facilites are always clean and service is good.

We had our wedding reception at Wickwoods on September 14th and it was fantastic. The room was decorated beautifully, the service was excellent and the food was very good. We found Vanessa and Wendy to be very helpful and professional, so we were able to relax and enjoy our day.

We stayed in the honeymoon suite for the wedding night and the following night. The room was lovely, very clean and the breakfast was good.

Just a shame that our wedding guest book went missing but other than that, everything was perfect.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you for having taken the time to provide a review with regard to your experience on your Wedding day.

We felt privileged that you chose Wickwoods for your big day and are delighted you were happy with the service we provided.

As a thank you we would like to offer you dinner for two on your anniversary next year in our fabulous new dining area, (The Glass House) which is currently under construction.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I have been a member for two years and my review only focusses on the Gym Spa and dining as I have not stayed in the hotel,(although I know the rooms are of a good standard)
We have always had good service in the restaurant and bar and the food is of good quality. The development of a a new Glass house restaurant are now underway, which added to all other developments has changed this club beyond recognition.
The club offers excellent facilities for tennis and the grounds are kept beautifully by a very cheerful groundsman, who always takes time to say hello.

The club now offers an excellent gym overlooking the gardens, fitness class room and relaxing Spa pool,steam room and sauna area. Would be nice to see the pool expanded but with all else that is happening I guess there is only so much that can be achieved.

There are now 45+ classes on offer throughout the week with something to suit everyone. I have really enjoyed trying out a range of classes.
The gym staff in particular have been excellent . My goal has been to get fitter and lose weight
and thanks to Tom I am transforming. I am not going to lie it takes hard work drive and committment but with help and support and the right amount of 'push and positivity' Tom has really been brilliant. All the staff at the gym have a breadth of knowledge and can really support you as an individual (and I speak from experience) so a HUGE THANK YOU !

Wickwoods is not the cheapest but what it offers is a 'Lifestyle choice' If you balance out what you want from a club then this place offers the complete package. It's a relaxing place to chill, superb grounds, excellent gym and tennis facilities, a varied events calendar, a nice place to eat or have a drink.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ally871
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for having taken the time to provide a review on your experience of the club, this is greatly appreciated.

With regard the expansion of the pool, this is a project that will be undertaken however we try to not have more than one development project underway at any one time and as you say we are currently working on the development of The Glass House.

I know the team and in particular Tom will be delighted the club is having such a positive effect on your lifestyle.

If we do happen to ever fall short on expectation please do let us know.

Once again thank you very much for having taken the time to share your thoughts on the service provided.

Lee Goossens MD

Reviewed 2 October 2013

When we made our booking, we were made aware that there would be a function going on at the Country Club that night, so it might be a bit noisey. We asked for more info about this, and the receptionist immediately back tracked and told us that the function was a 60th B'day, likely to finish early, would be in a different part of the complex and that we would be given the room furthest from the function room, so really it wouldn't impact upon our stay at all. We believed her and made the booking, but golly - HOW WRONG SHE WAS!!!

We checked in late, so all the rooms were already taken - no chance for us to move rooms when we discovered we were very close to the function and the lobby area where guests seemed to chatter and laugh to the early hours - the noise level was loud when the function room doors were left open (almost constantly) and we were not given any consideration because we had been made aware of the function before our booking was made.

Well, we are used to a noisy environment, so in general it didn't bother us too much, but there were other factors which added to the overall impression that this wasn't a marvellous place to stay:
The outside of the building looks a little in need of a freshen up, so it's not very attractive upon arrival
Reception staff were a little frosty when we booked in
The light fitting outside our room fell off during our stay! When we handed a piece of it to recpetion, they couldn't have appeared less interested (we weren't complaining - just handing in an important part of the light that we thought they wouldn't want to lose!)
There was an error on our bill, which in fairness they did correct immediately

The food in the bar was good, and the grounds have a nice feel to them.

Room Tip: Check and check again that you will be away from the function room and remember that noise travels u...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for having provided a review with regard to your stay.

We are very sorry that you were advised that the function was unlikely to affect your stay, as a small boutique hotel it is company policy to make sure that all clients bookings who are not attending the function are made aware that the function may well affect their stay in advance of making a booking.

This along with the level of care and service you felt was provided by our reception team whilst a very rare observation is completely unacceptable and will be the matter of further discussion and training.

With regard to the appearance of the building, I am a little surprised at this as the building has been the subject of 2M refurbishment over the last two year, regardless your observation in this respect will result in making a complete inspection of the external elevations to see what areas need further attention.

Thank you for having provided us with the opportunity to improve the service we provide, as gesture of good will we would like to offer you a free upgrade during your next stay along with complimentary use of the facilities.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I am sad to state that my wedding experience at Wickwoods was very poor, I was given no help with the arrangements of the wedding, the food that was served on the day came out wrong for at least 15 guests! The policys were not made clear even though I booked nearly 2 years in advance, my belongings were also binned one day after my wedding!

When I brought all these issues to the event director's (Vanesa [--]) attention, she meerly lied to me stating she did things that she didnt and pretty much told me it was my fault! She did not accept responsibility in the slightlest for the mistakes that were made.

I am absolutly appalled by the service she gave me, I definatly do not recommend this hotel as a wedding reception venue.

Louisa Jones

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Louisa J

Dear Mrs Jones,

We are sorry that following our various communications you have subsequently felt it necessary to write a number of damming online reviews. Your initial letter dated the 05.08.13 with regard to the event stated “although overall we had a wonderful day and the staff provided on the day were brilliant there were a few issue that you would like to bring to your attention”. We contacted you immediately with regard to these issues. In our view whilst the points you raised had merit they were in our view relatively minor, such as the wrong sauce on a small number of meals. Regardless we agreed to reimburse you £196:00 as a good will gesture which you accepted in good faith, further we apologised to you both verbally and in writing.

Despite the number of damming reviews written by you and our differing view to yours over the severity of the issues we are genuinely very sorry we did not provide a service that met with the standard of service you expected.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Had an overnight stay Wed and had pedicure and massage on thursday. Had unlimited use of all facilities, pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, gym and courts. (didn't choose the courts) . Went with daughter 14 and we had the luxury suite (bridal) as a treat. lovely comfy bed, balcony and could take food and drink to the room. Beautiful surroundings, felt like a home from home. Deck chairs in the garden, plenty of outdoor tables to dine on and a fabulous fire pit with surrounding sofas. A very pleasant stay

Room Tip: There are only 7 rooms but for spa facilities and day passes for the use of all the other facilities...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

On behalf of the team here at Wickwoods thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay.

We are delighted you both enjoyed your stay, along with use of our facilities, and hope to welcome you back in the future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Albourne
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping
Park House Hotel & Spa

Been to Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!