“Crabbing”

Price range: US$8 - US$12
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: View, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A small licensed riverside cafe. Offering good quality, local produce. Outstanding location with plenty to do for the entire family. See you soon!
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Crabbing”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

A lovely little placed located beside the river in Stoke Gabriel, Devon. We stopped here for coffee and cake which we had sat outside on the wooden tables. Good coffee and good cake. From here we could watch the many families crabbing on the weir, if only I had a crab line !!!
Lovely place in a lovely setting.

Visited June 2014

Torquay, United Kingdom
“Only 10 minutes down the road”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Didn't even know this place excited, only 10 min down the road. Very friendly staff, amazing views, definately will go again,

2 Thank Ingreet
Chudleigh, United Kingdom
“Post Crabbing Lunch - Lush!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Visited Stoke Gabriel with friends down from Wales to do a bit of crabbing. Excellent fun & loads of crabs!
Had a spot of lunch of the River Shack. Kids had the Pirate Platter, there was even a Gluten Free option for my wife & I had a lovely toasted ciabatta sandwich.
To top it all of we had some lush ice cream (crabbing is hot work!).
Service was OK from the polite & helpful staff. There was a 20min wait for the food but we were in no hurry. Shame I was driving because they had a great local cider on.

2 Thank vmcconville
Karl J, Manager at The River Shack, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thankyou for your review. Its nice to hear when people enjoy our little shack. We make our meals fresh to order so a 15/20 minute wait is the norm, maybe slightly longer at busy times.
Kind regards Karl.
Stoke Gabriel, United Kingdom
“Customer Service”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

As a frequent visitor to the River Shack I was very shocked to read some of the negative comments that have been posted. I have always found the staff friendly and courteous and the food very enjoyable. Its a 'Shack on the River'!!. The personal reference to the young man who was both 'ignorant and rude' I find pretty appalling. If it is the young man I think it is to who they refer, he has only been working there for a short while and is still finding his feet. I have always found him to be professional and courteous whenever he has 'waited' on us. The staff are all very young and this kind of criticism is ill placed and very unhelpful.

3 Thank Salty970
Karl J, Owner at The River Shack, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Hi, Thankyou for your review. We'd hope that all our staff act in a polite & friendly manner. But as you say, we are a small café that can get very busy. Some of the younger staff members are still learning & may get alittle flustered at times. Alittle understanding can go along way.
Hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards Karl.
Brixham, United Kingdom
“Rude staff, poor food”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Having heard good reports about the River Shack I was taken along by my granddaughter and her partner to enjoy a night of quiz and curry. On arrival we were shown to a table inside and were served a non alcoholic drink. There were no menus and a lady member of staff came over to say what was available, 3 curries, I said that I don't mind which, just that it's not too hot. The response was " there's children outside eating it and they don't have steam coming out of there ears..." I thought that a very rude and unnecessary response. The food arrived and to me it tasted no better or different to a jar sauce from a supermarket. To add to the disappointment we were presented with a bill £30 for 2 soft drinks and 2
meals. We thought the evening was not at all enjoyable, we did not stay for the quiz and unfortunately won't be back. What a lovely setting spoilt.

Visited July 2014
7 Thank Pat H
Karl J, Director of Sales at The River Shack, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thankyou for your honest review, perhaps the rude comment was just light-heartened response to "How hot is a curry?" "How long is a piece of string?" but hey, that aside.
Just to add some facts, Fresh homemade Curries in our beautiful setting cost circa £8.50. The most expensive soft drink would be from the high quality Luscombe range at £2.85. Quite how you've got to £30 bill I don't know, perhaps it was a £7.30 tip for the staff, If so thankyou very much.