Pine Hill Resort, Kalaw
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsheated poolsmall balconydressing tablelarge woodtraditional colonial stylepretty locationroyal suitewet towelssingle bedextra blanketsvery nice hotelcouple of nightsthree roomsair conten minute walkelephant campsitting area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This once-charming small hotel is undergoing a major building programme with three new blocks. One is partially complete and this is where we we're put. Still smelling of fresh cement the room had not been finished off properly, with many missing fixtures and leaking plumbing.
Worst was the noise. We were promised building would stop at 6pm and only restart at 8am. In reality the cement mixers stopped at 6.30 and restarted at at 7.30
The hotel should not be selling rooms badly affected by the noise until the first building stage is finished.
View from the room attached.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WJFHants
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The 600 numbered rooms are less than a month or two old. The manufacturer sticker date was still in the shower and it was 6 weeks ago. We were a tour group and occupied the 600 numbered rooms. There was hammering, sawing, yelling from 7 a.m. till 5 pm. My view was the building about 20 feet away. There was a big French group doing video that occupied all the prime rooms on the hill. Fit and finish in our room was poor-shower water drained down under the sink. There were no closets
Sounds like I'm whining but i'm not. Maybe come here in a couple of years when they are done with all the work but come to Myanmar SOON. It's only been open to tourism for two years and the one lane roads will be impassable in 5 years. Come see this country NOW. I've traveled to 75 or more countries and this is great. The service was great. The maid found my toothpaste, found me in the parking lot and gave it to me. How did she remember me with all the people.

Room Tip: get up on the hill away from the construction noise
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank garlec
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Rustic look to the room with wood interior, great heavy blankets that kept me warm as when we were there it was cold at night, nice grounds, many places to sit outside in the sun during the day. That said they are building some more and there was some noise from that in the day. Overall enjoyable stay and would recommend it.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed at Pine Hill as our starting point for a 3 day trek to Lalaw. Our room was clean, quiet and spacious. The restaurant had good food and service was both friendly and good. A highlight during our stay was New Years eve when the restaurant put on a free local rum punch and a brazier to keep us warm for the evening.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The architecture reminded me of a 1920s British boarding school! There is a main bungalow building - with a huge stone fireplace - while the rooms are scattered around in other chalets.
My room was pine-cladded - not the best decor - but equipped with tea/coffee etc. The beds had huge blankets on them which you need as it gets very cold at night.
The dining room was quite soulless but food ok. Breakfast is served on the terrace outside but was one of the few hotels I stayed in without an egg station.
The hotel is on the edge of town but you can take bikes and cycle into town. It's also a great base for local trekking routes.
The gardens - again look very British with manicured lawns and cottage garden style flowers. Not surprising given Kalaw was colonised by British civil servants who escaped to the cooler mountain area.
We took the train from the nearby station - the line was built by the British - for a two hour trip en route to Lake Inle. An experience in itself.
There is also a very good Nepalese restaurant in town
It's not one of the best places I stayed in during my two week trip but there is not a lot of choice in this area. And it was perfectly acceptable for one night

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo