“Clean room, friendly staff, cost-saving amenities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Shamrock Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thornton
The Shamrock Motel
Brockton, MA
“Clean room, friendly staff, cost-saving amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

When we travel up north, we spend more time outdoors than in, so all we need is a clean room and warm shower. If you're like us, you'll love the Shamrock Motel, too. Not only is the Shamrock Motel's staff is extremely friendly and helpful, but the property offers more than you'd expect! The kitchenette in our cottage was a nice touch that helped us save even more money that we could spend on the important vacation stuff - having fun and exploring more! We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: If it's important to you, ask about rooms with a kitchenette.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BeardedDrag0n

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Attleboro, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

The hotel proprietors are courteous, friendly, and are knowledgeable about the area. They recommended many of the areas fun attractions to keep me entertained while up here. The rooms are clean, spacious, and affordable for the weekend getaway that I desired. When it comes to location, it cannot be beat. I could sit on my front porch and look out and see gorgeous mountain landscape. The pool was clean and refreshing without a strong chemical smell at all. The game room was a fun little extra and their goats added even more character. The motel was far enough away that I could enjoy the country setting but close enough to many of the attractions and other local businesses.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Mansfield,Ma.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

My husband,the two dogs and I spent a very pleasant vacation here the first week of October. The cottage was larger than we were expecting and very adequate for all of us. The place couldn't have been any cleaner or cozier. Anytime we had issues the owners were right there to help. You almost didn't have to drive anywhere to see the foliage,what a beautiful view right outside the door!!! We will all be back next year.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
US
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

We called to make a reservation on 10/24. We are not from New England, and mentioned the purpose of the trip was to see fall foliage. The woman we spoke with immediately said that while she would like our money, she'd much rather us have a great trip, and that this area would not be the best to be in for this time of this season (past peak). She offered some other areas that might have more foliage. Big thumbs up - if we are ever back in New England earlier in the fall, we will definitely book here.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Methuen, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

Location:
The location is really great. Two miles off route 93, about 10 minutes from Lincoln and the Kancamagus Highway, and 20 minutes to gorgeous Franconia Notch.

Service:
The service was fine. We didn't really need anything so we had little interaction with the owner but when we did she was right there to help.

Food:
There is not much in the way of food in the area so best to travel down the highway to Lincoln. Several places there to choose from. The hotel did offer a continental breakfast in the morning but we opted to make the 30 minute drive to Sugar Hill to eat at Polly's Pancake Parlor. If you've not been there it's 200% worth the drive.

Accommodations:
My family was in NH to "leaf peep" so we didn't intend to be in the room that much. My top considerations for the lodging was price, cleanliness, and no 3-night requirement. The Shamrock Motel got decent reviews here on Trip Advisor and the price was right. But...you do get what you pay for. The cottage we stayed in was clean...I will give them that. However, it was really (really) outdated. I can get past some things but the beds felt like they were 100 years old. The springs dug into my our backs and the pillows were about 1 inch thick.

Another thing we struggled with was seating in the living room. There were four adults in our 2-bedroom cottage but only room for 3 people to sit. To seat the 4th person we had to use one of the kitchen table chairs. The kitchen set was really old and not a terribly comfy seat to watch tv in after a long day of leaf peeping. The kitchen table also only had 3 chairs.

Summary:
Would I stay here again? Maybe, but only for one night. I reiterate, the place was clean and that's clearly very important to me. But a few recommendations to the owners would be 1) invest in new beds...it's a small investment that will go a LONG way. 2) New pillows. I had to fold up my coat and use it as a pillow since the one provided was so thin. 3)New towels. The bath towels provided were tiny and paper thin. Kohls practically gives this kind of stuff away...again, another small investment that would make a big impact. 4) Ditch the big leather chair in favor of two smaller ones. Seating for four would have made a big difference for the enjoyment of our time in the room.

If the owners read this, I hope you take my feedback as constructive. My intention is not to badmouth this motel, rather to provide honest information that will hopefully make for a more enjoyable stay. Given the economical pricing I certainly was not expecting the Ritz; but just a small set of improvements would really have an impact.

In the section below entitled "would you recommend this hotel to a friend?" I'm going to say No. But if the suggested improvements were made I would change that to a yes.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
shamrockmotel, Owner at The Shamrock Motel, responded to this review, 15 October 2010
We were a little dissapointed to read this review. We feel that a lot of these issues could have been resolved if they had been brought to our attention at the time of thier stay. For example, we could have provided extra pillows, in fact there were extra pillows in the hall closet, and if the cutomer had requested addtional livingroom seating, that could have been provided as well. Other issues this guest had were the towels and beds. The towels we provide are new motel qualilty towels, certainly not "paper thin" .As far as the bedding goes, we have updated
many of our units, but unfortunatly, the unit they were in does not yet have new mattresses.
We do appreciate the positive comments this guest made. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our establishment and our family friendly rates.
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Shamrock Motel. The rooms were clean and the owners were very nice and accommodating. (They even mailed back
an item we had left behind.) The price was very reasonable, too. When we arrived I was surprised to learn that a continental breakfast was included. The location was good, just south of Lincoln, the heart of Franconian Notch, with many attractions and hiking trails. Our family of six (four grown children) was too large to fit in one of the cabins, but if you're a family of 4 (or 5, if one child can sleep on a cot) then the cabins look like a good choice because they have spacious kitchens and sitting areas. We noticed a few barbecues that guests can use. The hotel also has a pool.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Norton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2010

I stay here all the time and never had a bad stay. Clean rooms and friendly service. The view of the mountians is awesome!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank mcnd96
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lincoln East - White Mountains
Profile Motel & Cottages
The Sunny Grange B&B
The Sunny Grange B&B
#1 of 4 in Campton

Been to The Shamrock Motel? Share your experiences!